request for permit trade late August Northern Loop

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jbones58
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

request for permit trade late August Northern Loop

Post by jbones58 »

Hello!

I have the following 4-night itinerary:

ENTER - ICEBERG/PTARMIGAN (TRAILHEAD)

8-26-2017 - ELF - ELIZ LK, FT
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 10.10
Elevation; Up 2480 | Down 2518

8-27-2017 - MOJ - MOKOWANIS JCT
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 8.70
Elevation; Up 298 | Down 290

8-28-2017 - FIF - FIFTY MOUNTAIN
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 13.90
Elevation; Up 5210 | Down 2725

8-29-2017 - GRN - GRANITE
Fires; NO
Segment; Length 11.90
Elevation; Up 1780 | Down 1910

EXIT - SWIFTCURRENT PARKING LOT (TRAILHEAD)
Segment; Length 7.60
Elevation; Up 735 | Down 2255

What I'd like to do is trade this four-night permit for a five-night permit that makes an additional stop at Stoney Indian on 8-28-17. Let me know if you're interested! I would of course pay the difference.

Thank you!
smahurin
Gender?: Male

Re: request for permit trade late August Northern Loop

Post by smahurin »

Not to rain on your parade but it's going to be impossible to trade. There are only a few campsites available at each campground, and so its very likely that exact advanced itinerary (those dates and sites) doesn't even exist as trips through that area may pick up different sites/different days/different routes. Even if that exact itinerary exists, that's the single most sought after itinerary in the park, so finding someone willing to trade out of that permit is also probably zero even though yours is similar (and awesome in its own right).

I think you're only option if you're dead set on trying to add a day (and at stoney indian no less) is to try and change your permit the day before it starts when you get your permit. Keep in mind though, that your itinerary as is, is actually really awesome in its own right. If you want to add a day you may be able to get stoney, but it's very possible you'll have to be more flexible and consider options such as Kootenai lakes or something else.

You might consider showing up 2-days early and adding a day either on the front end or the back (not just the back end) as it'll give you more flexibility in trying to secure that reservation.
jbones58
Gender?: Female

Re: request for permit trade late August Northern Loop

Post by jbones58 »

Thanks for the feedback. I realized it was probably a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try. And glad to hear that this itinerary is awesome. We probably will keep it as is, I'm just nervous about that long day to Fifty Mountain and was trying to break it into two days.

Return to “Backcountry Permits”