Picking up permits

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mfster
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Picking up permits

Post by mfster »

I have a question about picking up permits!

So I already received backcountry permits through the online reservation system, I will just need to pick them up the morning of the first day of the trip (we won't be in town in time to get them the day before).

Do people who already have permits have to wait in the same line to pick them up as people getting walk-in permits?

Just wondering how long it might take to pick up the permits in the morning since we'll want to head out fairly early and I know people line up for walk-ins well before the backcountry offices open.

Thanks!
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Picking up permits

Post by PeteE »

mfster wrote:I have a question about picking up permits!

So I already received backcountry permits through the online reservation system, I will just need to pick them up the morning of the first day of the trip (we won't be in town in time to get them the day before).

Do people who already have permits have to wait in the same line to pick them up as people getting walk-in permits?

Just wondering how long it might take to pick up the permits in the morning since we'll want to head out fairly early and I know people line up for walk-ins well before the backcountry offices open.

Thanks!
Yes, so far as I know you'll have to wait in line. I suppose the thinking is that you have a permit, while the others do not.
This gives the folks who got there early a better chance of getting their walk up permit.
I could be wrong, but that's my recollection(sometimes a lil faulty though 8) )

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
mfster
Gender?: Female

Post by mfster »

Got it, thanks!

Do you think it will take a long time to get through if we line up at 7?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

mfster wrote:Got it, thanks!

Do you think it will take a long time to get through if we line up at 7?
No way to know. It depends on how many will be waiting for permits. I havent been over there since it's gotten busy.
Maybe someone who has would know.
Id guess a half hour maybe....
Sorry
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
StellsDad

Post by StellsDad »

Hi everyone,

We're visiting next week for 7 nights, 5 of which will be BC. These are spread out over a few different permits, and we were hoping to modify one of them (add an extra night). When I go to pick up the first permit, can I pick up all of them at once? And, do you think they would entertain allowing me to modify at that time?
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

StellsDad wrote: We're visiting next week for 7 nights, 5 of which will be BC. These are spread out over a few different permits, and we were hoping to modify one of them (add an extra night). When I go to pick up the first permit, can I pick up all of them at once? And, do you think they would entertain allowing me to modify at that time?
When I had two permits starting in the same general area (North Fork), I was only allowed to pick up the one that started the next day. For the second permit, which started a couple of days afterward, I was told I would have to pick up within 24 hours of the start of that second trip. I believe this is policy. It was not a hardship, since I easily picked up the second permit at the Polebridge station.

I am not certain concerning your second question, but I would imagine they might modify a permit, even if you could not pick it up at that time.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

My guess is that they will not allow you to modify earlier than the 48 hour pickup date. Otherwise you would be getting the jump on other people who may want the same spots.
thorn726

Post by thorn726 »

this might help some people pressed for time- got to St Mary at 420pm just in time to pick up permit- guy was super helpful, no line at all-
BEST PART- when he started talking about the video you must watch, i mentioned we had seen it a few times... well he said if we had seen it already that was good enough and we did not need to watch it again... saved us 20 minutes we really needed...
The video is VERY helpful in telling what to do out in the back country and worst case talking about keeping on your stomach with your pack on your back, covering your neck, and worst case "if the bear starts to eat you, fight back"... It also helped that we knew Everything about what to do regarding toilet paper (pack it out), NOT washing clothes in water etc.. if you mention all these things rapidly and KNOW what you are talking about, they dont put you through as much hassle... I always get a laugh over the water and fire things, "dont get me started!" / and i'll rant about all the things people do that they should not... I've dealt with too many forest fires and polluted waters... we dont mess around. anyway point being, know the rules well and understand them, Rangers will put you through less questions, just read the paper and sign it, and as far as the video it is well worth watching a few times and from what the Ranger said, it is not required that you watch it right then, only that you have watched it and know it... The Backcountry web page gives the impression you HAVE to watch the video when your permit is issued but apparently not always true, hope this helps!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Last year when I picked up my permit they asked me to watch the video and I said I've seen it many times. However, they said I needed to watch it again since it was a new video that year. So if you haven't seen the new video you may need to watch it.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
thorn726

Post by thorn726 »

paul wrote:Last year when I picked up my permit they asked me to watch the video and I said I've seen it many times. However, they said I needed to watch it again since it was a new video that year. So if you haven't seen the new video you may need to watch it.
excellent point, so we should all make sure to check online before heading out and make sure we are current

Return to “Backcountry Permits”