Fun, local hiking projects in the year of coronavirus

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Fun, local hiking projects in the year of coronavirus

Post by Selkie »

With Glacier a deferred dream for many this year (and Canada closed to me), it's time for the imagination to get some exercise, leading to stronger legs!
A couple of hiking websites I frequent are posting "alternative hikes" folks have dreamed up, such as redlining a very local spot.

My local hike - we are allowed to do very little here, and the lakefront and adjoining ballfields, bike paths, golf courses, and the like are closed until July 1 - turned out to be walking the the Chicago Marathon route with a friend who runs it. We chose not to do it as a timed event but as a very long day hike -- admire the architecture, look at old drawbridges, have a picnic lunch. I folded that into an event I had planned to participate in that turned into a virtual event (many are).* Having some sort of structure produced an interesting exploration of streets I would not otherwise have visited. And I found a truffle shop with coconut macaroons as memorable as the Polebridge Merc's bear claws. :D

*The Boston Marathon 2020 is now virtual. Participation medals only.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Fun, local hiking projects in the year of coronavirus

Post by Selkie »

As a quick follow-up, here again is the Protected Lands database, to help identify unknown hike possibilities near you.
(Note that not all Protected Lands have public access).
http://www.protectedlands.net/map/

Return to “Trip Reports”