September 2020

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

al_in_al
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

September 2020

Post by al_in_al »

Link to photo album with a few more pictures:

I was in the park September 8 - 16 this year for my eighth annual trip. This was my latest visit to the park so far, and I was hoping for some interesting weather - but I was out of luck - days with blue sky and no clouds, and then 4 days of smoke. It was not what I was hoping for, and I just missed out on the snow. Temps were generally warm during the day, but it was at least cooler and less humid than where I came from, so that was nice.

This trip was originally scheduled for mid-August, around dates that I had gotten to stay at Sperry Chalet back in January. I ended up cancelling that trip when my flights were altered to an impossible itinerary, and I was uncertain if a new quarantine would be put in place. Later, I managed to snag the last two nights of the season at Sperry, and also found a flight that would work with no cancellation penalty, and coronavirus cases started to decline in my county. So I made the trip. I'm still not sure if it was the right decision - but overall I think the positives of the trip outweighed the negatives.

This year my new experiences were: hiking to the waterfalls from Sun Point, trying out some of the climber's trails, hiking the Highline at sunrise, Upper McDonald Lake trail, Lincoln Peak, Oxbow trail, and Belton Bridge.

=== Tuesday, Flight in =====

Flying during the pandemic was no fun.

I entered the park around 3:30, to the most traffic I’ve ever seen at the west entrance (with the east side closed, this seemed reasonable). It still only took about 5 minutes to make it through.

I stayed in a cabin at Lake McDonald Lodge for the first 4 nights, and really appreciated the chance to stay there for so long (in a normal year, I'd have jetted off to the east side after a day or two). My cabin was a nice surprise - the small rooms are supposed to be at the back of the building, but mine was at the front, facing the lake! I could see a glimpse of the lake, and there was a picnic table across the walkway, where I ate my to-go meals from the restaurant.

I had forgotten that some clouds did emerge that first night, making for an enjoyable sunset.

I thought the light on the mountains looked like a painting.

=== Wednesday, hiking from Sun Point =====

Holy cow, it was Crowded in the park today - probably the worst I’ve seen, even though I usually visit in July and August. According to GNP’s Twitter feed, people were turned away from the entrance for a while - it was the first morning that Logan Pass was open since the snow event a few days earlier, which helped explain some of the eagerness to get there early.

I woke up at 5:30 am and made breakfast in my room with the small travel kettle I brought. I was on the road at 6:10am, headed to Logan Pass, and I had to jump in a line of cars already headed up. I was probably already too late for a parking spot at the pass. Unfortunately, I realized my hiking poles were still in my suitcase and turned back to get them - so at 6:18am I gave up on my plan of hiking at Logan Pass today. When I got back on the road there were even more cars, and traffic moved slowly. The worst traffic I’ve seen on the GTTSR.

In hindsight, I REALLY wish I had changed course and hiked Huckleberry Lookout this day. But I didn't. Oh well.

Stopped at Big Bend for a sunrise snap. Look at all the cars!

Logan Pass parking was full and then some when I arrived just after 7:15am. Pullouts from Oberlin Bend all the way to Lunch Creek (!) were also full at that time, with people walking up the road to the pass.

I was headed to Sun Point, where I hiked to Baring, St. Mary, and Virginia Falls.

It had been a long time since I’d been to Baring, and it was prettier than I remembered.

I also enjoyed visiting Virginia Falls when the flow was lower, so I could take pictures without getting splashed (though I guess none of those made the cut since the one below is from a distance).

There was a big moose at the end of St. Mary Lake - visible but distant. The trails were crowded, again, expected based on the traffic, but it made for slow hiking.

On the return trip, I headed up to Sunrift Gorge and hiked part of the Siyeh Pass trail. Whew, that is a lot of uphill at once, and it seemed to take forever to get out of the Reynolds burn area. I enjoyed a nice lunch stop overlooking the creek.

I knew I wouldn’t go all the way to the pass, but I wanted to see the waterfalls along Baring Creek, and I turned around once I saw a small part of Sexton Glacier.

Of course, once I was on the Siyeh Pass trail, I hardly saw anyone. The initial elevation gain weeds a lot of people out. Total hike for the day was 11.5 miles and 2000 ft of elevation gain (according to my GPS watch track).

I drove east to Rising Sun, just to say I had. The restaurant and camp store had closed that day. I used the restrooms at the Rising Sun boat dock, yay for flush toilets and sinks!

After a to-go dinner at the lodge, showering, and preparing for the next day, I walked the lake for sunset. There was not a single cloud in the sky and wouldn't be as good as the previous night, so I gave up on photos and watched the rest from the bench in front of my cabin while reading.
Last edited by al_in_al on Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA84GW
Gender?: Male

Re: September 2020

Post by GA84GW »

Very nice trip report and pics. Thanks!
MISSY
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by MISSY »

Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed your pics and trip report! Glad you were persistent and rearranged your travel plans. A Glacier Adventure during a challenging time!
Missy
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

=== Thursday, hiking at Logan Pass =====

Alarm was set for 5:20, and I was awake and up a few minutes early. I was on the road just before 6am, and there was still a decent amount of traffic - it was neat to see the lights snaking up the road ahead, but overall I don’t like driving the GTTSR before you can see the views. Today I was early enough, and found parking at Logan Pass at 6:36am in an almost full lot. It was full and people were circling by 6:50am.

I watched sunrise from the parking lot, mildly disappointed that I didn't get a better shot looking east, but it was a boring sky day.

I used the restroom (everyone was lined up at the vault toilets, but the flush toilets at the visitor center were empty!), and headed out on the Hidden Lake trail. The trail to the overlook was open, but closed from the overlook to the lake, which meant the overlook was packed. I didn't even bother trying to get a good picture. Early morning is not my favorite time for Hidden Lake because of the shadows (unless I get the overlook to myself, which is not to be this year).

While taking a break near the overlook, I saw two bighorn sheep but no mountain goats (that might be a first - did the bear in the area scare them all away earlier this season?).

On the way back, I took the Reynolds climber’s trail. My goal was to walk around the back side of Reynolds, but eventually I reached a patch of snow covering the trail, and I turned around because I’m a snow chicken. I know plenty of people probably crossed the small patch of snow that day, but I couldn't make myself do it. Still enjoyed the portion of the trail I managed, and the view of the lake was spectacular.

My favorite moment of my whole trip was probably sitting in this spot right before I re-joined the Hidden Lake trail. I wasn't ready for the people, so I sat and ate more of my lunch (even though I wasn't technically hungry again), and enjoyed the peaceful view.

I got back to the visitor center around noon, filled up my water bottle (last day before they shut off the water!), and headed out on the Oberlin climber’s trail.

If there is one thing I learned this trip, it's that I'm not a climber - not even the easy ones. I can't mentally handle the steep trails. I made it about 1.25 miles before turning around when I reached a spot that was too steep for my comfort level. I was also not 100% sure I was on the right course (I had a GPS track of the hike, but managed to not actually get it loaded onto my watch for the trip).

Still, I enjoyed the walk a lot. There were a couple of other people on the trail, but not many. I did miss the wildflowers, though. There were some flowers on their last legs, but not what I'm used to seeing earlier in the year.

It took about 45 minutes to get back to the lodge (there was a short section that was 1-lane for roadwork). I’m already tired of the drive. This is why I prefer to stay at Rising Sun to visit Logan Pass. I ordered dinner from the lodge again and ate at the picnic table again. The menu was limited, but since I’m averse to driving, it’s good enough for 3 nights in a row.

Last edited by al_in_al on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

MISSY wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:23 am Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed your pics and trip report! Glad you were persistent and rearranged your travel plans. A Glacier Adventure during a challenging time!
Missy
That's something I learned on my first trip to the park - always be ready to change up your plans! And if you miss out on something, there's always the next trip.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

=== Friday, sunrise on the Highline and Upper McDonald Creek trail =====

Alarm was set for 5:15am, but I was awake before 5, ugh. I was on the road at 5:45, and driving alone this morning (though I could see lines of cars in front of and behind me). I started the Highline at 6:40am.

In general, I don't really like hiking before sunrise. I like to see where I'm going, and all that. But since the Highline is so open, it does make for a pretty good sunrise hike. I had a headlamp, but by the time I started, I didn't need it. It was also surprisingly warm, and I shed all my layers right away, pretty much.

It was a clear day with maybe a little haze, so the sunrise was nice, but not spectacular. There were people on the trail, but not as overcrowded as I’d feared. Other than the giant bunch-up at Haystack (which is typical), the rate of other hikers was reasonable.

In the morning, there were some bighorn sheep in the meadow by the trailhead. And I finally saw some mountain goats near the Haystack switchback.

I went up the Haystack Butte climber’s trail until the actual trail ended, which meant I got to walk along the 1st “level” of the Haystack, but didn’t try to go to the top, since I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it anyway.

As I was headed down, a lot of people were headed up to try to get a better view of the goats.

From here, I returned to Logan Pass, because I wanted to hike the Upper McDonald Creek trail today, too.

Back at Logan Pass around 11:30, and I was disappointed that the lot wasn’t closed. Tons of people were circling and it was a mess. Lots of parking citations today - I’ve never seen such crazy parking here. I don’t understand how desperate you must be to park in an NPS Employee spot...

Luckily, there was a (legal and not-creative) parking spot available at the Upper McDonald Creek trailhead when I arrived, though the trail was clearly popular today. I had been driving by this trail for 3 days, and was really looking forward to a nice forest hike. It was really peaceful and enjoyable.

And I saw a lot of animals - deer that demanded to use the trail, a moose in McDonald Creek, and a bear! I talked to it to let it know I was there, and it just crossed the trail and headed off into the woods.

I waited around for a while to make sure there weren’t any others, and until I couldn’t hear it anymore, then continued on. I talked to myself a little more frequently after that. The trail was less crowded as it got later - it also seemed like most people just did the Johns Lake Loop portion (I didn’t go to Johns Lake this time).

At sunset, there appeared to be some smoke in the area. Bad news for the days ahead.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

=== Saturday, Sperry Trail to the chalet and Lincoln Peak =====

Since I didn’t need an early start, I slept in a little, and ordered breakfast when the kitchen opened at 7am. The breakfast burrito I got was massive - I didn’t know it was going to be an 8-egg burrito! After I finished (minus a chunk of the eggs), I realized it didn’t have any potatoes - so now I wonder, did they run out of potatoes, or just double up the eggs by accident?

It was a little smoky, so I didn’t even go down to the lake for a last view - I’d have a few sunrises at Apgar later anyway (oops! was really wrong on that). I packed up the car, checked out, and drove the short distance from the cabin parking to the general lot near the start of the Sperry Trail, and started out around 8:15am.

It was another fairly warm morning, so I stuffed my puffy jacket in my overly-full pack, and started slogging up the trail. It is steep, but nice and wide and soft. The early section didn’t burn in 2017, so there is still shade for a few miles. There were a decent number of people on the trail in the morning - more than I remember compared to my last hike - a few backpackers, a few with lighter packs that looked like dayhikers, and a few that turned up at the chalet.

There was a smoky haze in the air, but not yet that bad - there were a few early views down to Lake McDonald, and some mountain views headed up through the burned trees. Views of the chalet are more frequent since the fire.

At the stream crossing just before the chalet, I took a break and enjoyed the meadow there. I remember the first time I hiked up to the chalet, I arrived at check-in profusely sweating, so I wanted to avoid that this time! Plus, this is a really nice area for a break.

I arrived at the chalet sometime before noon, and was given a lemonade and the rundown of procedures. This year, they had 2 seatings for dinner and breakfast to help with distancing in the dining room. I was assigned late dining (6:45 dinner and 8:15 breakfast), but asked to change to the earlier time (5:30/7:00), which they were able to do. I was given Room #1 - the upstairs corner with a balcony (shared) that faces north and west. Score! Of course, since it’s 2020, the view was quickly being obscured by smoke, and I shared the balcony with a family with 2 crying toddlers. (To their credit, the toddlers only cried a couple of times and weren’t majorly disruptive). The new dormitory still has the old sound issues. (See pictures in the Lodging section).

This ptarmigan took about 5 minutes to cross the short path while I waited to walk through...

I took a chair out to the balcony and ate my lunch and read for the rest of the afternoon, and watched smoke continue to seep into the valley until I could no longer see Lake McDonald below. Dinner was prime rib with green salad, tomato and vegetable soup, cranberry walnut bread, green beans, scalloped potatoes, and cake (vanilla?) for dessert. It was delicious, especially the bread (fresh baked), which is always a highlight of a stay at Sperry. The staff introduced themselves and each table did the same, as usual. I did not like having to sit at a table by myself for dinner, but I also didn’t want to sit with others - this was my first inside “restaurant” meal since March 15.

After dinner, I hiked up to Lincoln Peak. This was supposed to be a sunset hike, but there would be no sunset because of the smoke.

I probably shouldn’t have done the hike - even though I made it to the top (the path was very obvious, and it was pretty short), I did not enjoy it and swore to never do it again. However, as time passes, I might forget, and perhaps will try it again in the future. I wish conditions has been better. I could see Lake Ellen Wilson, Lincoln Lake, and Beaver Chief Falls, but it was smoky, and distant peaks were obscured.

But I survived, and at least I got to do something new.

I skipped coffee hour, and read in bed until I fell asleep. With the wind blowing, it got chilly outside several times during the day, but was pretty mild at night, and I did not need the extra blanket at the bottom of the bed.

=== Sunday, Sperry Glacier =====

I probably should have done the hike to the glacier as soon as I arrived the day before, but I'm just too lazy and couldn't talk myself out of taking a break. I heard some people say they couldn't even tell smoke was coming in up at the glacier on Saturday. Another oh well.

Sunday was way worse. My previous hike to the glacier had been in August 2015 when the Reynolds Fire was just wrapping up, the Thompson Fire was still going, and smoke was blowing in from other states. I was really hoping that this year would be better, but instead visibility was way worse than my previous hike. Maybe the 3rd try will work out, someday.

I set my alarm for 6:30, but didn’t need it. I could hear lots of other rooms start stirring around the same time. I knew from my 1:30am bathroom walk that it was still smoky - there were no stars, no sunrise. If you stay at Sperry, you must get the hotcakes at breakfast. They are delicious.

I was not in a great mood when I started the hike, and was really wondering why I was bothering. Fortunately, the trail is pretty interesting even if lighting conditions are uninteresting - and I did ultimately enjoy my hike.

I saw 2 pikas (but was too slow to photograph them) and mountain goats. No marmots. There were some waterfalls, and lakes, and great rock formations. I ended up wearing a surgical-style mask almost the whole time, even though I was hiking alone for hours. It seemed to be more comfortable than breathing in all the smoke (in that my mouth didn't taste like smoke, at least).

At Comeau Pass, the handline at the stairs had been removed - that was not noted on the trail status. It wasn’t needed exactly, but I would have used it if it was there.

Up at the top, the only peak you could see to the west/north was the Little Matterhorn, and you could barely see it.

I followed the giant cairns, scrambling up and down the big rock piles on the way to the glacier. There were still some snow patches I had to go around. It’s tough going, for me at least.

I got to the next-to-last cairn and decided to stop there. It had a view of the actual glacier, so I relaxed and ate my lunch. There was another large snowfield before the cairn with the plaque on it, and I didn’t feel like wandering around looking for a place to cross, so I headed back.

Up until this point I hadn’t seen anyone all day, but on the way back I encountered a few groups headed to the glacier. One looked like a guided group - I wish I had ended up behind them - I’m sure the guide knew the best route.

I was back at the chalet around 2, and spent the afternoon reading again. I kept a buff over my face most of the time because of the smoke (and it was also a little chilly in the shade).

Tonight was Thanksgiving dinner - I had hoped the last night would be. We started with tomato and mozzarella salad, curry squash soup, and white bread. Then a giant serving of the main course - turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, and lots of gravy. Dessert was spice cake with cream cheese frosting. I was stuffed.

Again, no sunset to enjoy. I did go back for the final coffee hour, and enjoyed a hot tea while one of the staff read an essay she was working on about her 5 summers of working in the park. It was a great way to end the day.

=== Monday, down the Sperry Trail, and Trail of the Cedars =====

I ate my breakfast hotcake, then returned to my room to pack up for the hike down. I wasn’t in a hurry, but didn’t have much of a reason to hang around longer - the smoke was bad and not going to get any better. Originally, I considered hiking towards Lake Ellen Wilson, or possibly Snyder Lake on the way down, but abandoned those ideas because of the smoke.

Hiking down the Sperry trail is a lot easier than hiking up. I still wore a mask to help with the smoke, but did not notice anyone else doing so. There did seem to be fewer people hiking up today. The trail was pretty buggy (I forgot to mention it - but bugs swarmed me most of the time I was outside at Sperry, too - in fact, it was buggy all over the park).

I stopped to take very few pictures. At one point, the sun was coming up over the mountains, and it looked really weird because of the smoke, so I stopped and watched for a while. A few mule trains passed, taking close-down supplies to the chalet.

At the bottom, my first stop was the bathrooms across from the camp store at Lake McDonald - there were sinks with soap! I was so excited. Then I needed to eat my trail lunch. I decided I wanted to eat it at the Avalanche picnic area, and then walk the Trail of the Cedars. Of course, Avalanche was packed, and not a lot of people were leaving. I circled the parking areas a few times, then gave up and headed to Redrock Point instead. There were spots available, and it was a prettier spot to eat, anyway!

After lunch, as I was driving by Avalanche a spot opened up right by the trailhead, no circling necessary. So I walked Trail of the Cedars, and was happy that I could still enjoy the smells even with the smoke.

I headed to the Village Inn at Apgar where I stayed for my final 2 nights. I was too early to check in (they gave me an hour before my room would be ready, which it was around 2:30), so I got a to-go cocktail from Eddie’s Cafe, and enjoyed it on the beach, in spite of the no-view vista.

After a much needed shower and change of clothes, I relaxed in the room and in the chairs outside for the rest of the evening. Dinner was to-go from Eddie’s - the salad was ready in about 5 minutes, very fast. No sunset tonight.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

=== Tuesday, driving the GTTSR =====

My last full day in the park, not quite what I had hoped for.

Although some clouds were visible in the sky this morning, the smoke was still bad, and air quality was likely at the ‘Unhealthy’ level. My planned hike was Huckleberry Lookout, but that probably wasn’t happening. I ate breakfast in my room, and prepared as if I was going to hike. I drove out to the trailhead, but it was, of course, very smoky, and I called off the hike and decided to drive the GTTSR instead. I was pretty disappointed because it was supposed to be the one new, big trail that I got to hike this trip.

Views along the road were not great on the west side - couldn’t see Heaven’s Peak at all. There were some interesting smoky views after the Loop, though I didn't capture them well.

I took advantage of an empty parking lot at Oberlin Bend to walk the boardwalk there, and you could see some features out to about Haystack. I drove by Logan Pass - it looked full but the nearby pullouts were not full yet.

I also got to stop at Lunch Creek! That was one goal of this trip, since I had never stopped there, so I’m glad the smoky day made that possible. There were two bighorn sheep grazing on the “downhill” side and one walking through my view on the "uphill" side. That was the biggest wildlife sighting of the day. I walked some of the trails heading up the creek, but not too far because I left my bear spray in the car. The view up from here was nice, and not affected as much by the smoke.

I also stopped and walked up Siyeh Creek, which had some pretty views as well.

I was looking for bears along the road, but didn’t see any (as driver with no passengers, I was mostly relying on a bear-jam). I did notice the moose in St. Mary Lake - visible from the road near the St. Mary Falls trailhead, but there was nowhere to stop and view it since all the parking areas were closed. I drove all the way to the Rising Sun picnic area and turned around.

The east side was slightly less smoky, but conditions were still pretty bad - I had to limit my time outside the car. I ate lunch in the car at the St. Mary Lake Overlook, watching the lake.

I returned to the Village Inn, and walked the lake shore from the hotel to the road - the sun was almost back to normal, so the water was back to being pretty blue, and it was a nice (ankle-strengthening) walk, even without the big mountains in the distance.

Got another to-go dinner from Eddie’s, and smoke levels seemed to have dropped a little so I could sit outside my room to eat. After dinner, I decided I wanted a walk, and tried the Oxbow Trail. You can get to it by taking the bike path behind the Apgar Education Center - there is a confusing mess of hiking, horse, and bike trails, but the signs were good enough that I found it. I made a ~ 1.5 mile loop from the hotel, and it took about 35 minutes. It’s not a spectacular trail, but makes for a nice walk with some pretty creek views. And I startled (and was startled by) some deer.

No sunset again, I had some hope because you could see some clouds overhead, but there was just a little pink in the sky.

=== Wednesday, Belton Bridge and flight home =====

There was actually a sunrise this morning! When I woke up, the mountains at the end of the lake were actually visible, and there were some pink clouds in the sky. 2 hours later, the mountains disappeared again. There was a big east-ish wind overnight, and I could hear waves on the lake all night from inside the room, which I enjoyed.

I had considered hiking to Rocky Point in the morning before breakfast, but decided against it - I’d already been there on a smoky day, and would rather see the views the next time I did it. Instead, I packed up, checked out, and took the short walk to the Belton Bridge. It was a neat place, and aside from some bikers at the very start of the trail, I had it all to myself.

I had a 3pm flight out of Kalispell, but it was still early (and these days I don’t want to spend any extra time in the airport), so I drove out through Whitefish just for the heck of it, and parked at City Beach to eat lunch in my car, and take in a glimpse of the beach. After that, I headed to the airport, and had an uneventful trip home.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

wonderful photos and trip log. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Some very nice viewscapes, both intimate and expansive.
Glad you found some fine alternatives to original set list, and thanks for the update on Sperry Chalet!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nice report.
It's a bummer about the smoke.
Friends of my sister's friend were out here Sept 15-18 to hike. The smoke was awful.

You got a lot of hiking done and good pics in spite of the conditions.
Mid to late July is what I recommend for most people for a trip to GNP.

FYI...You were on the right track going up the Oberlin trail. I know exactly where you took that pic from. 8)
The steep, loose scree just ahead of you is a pain in the ass but doesn't last long.

There's always next year. Huckleberry Mtn. is a great hike and it ain't going anywhere! :D

cheers
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

PeteE wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:13 pm Mid to late July is what I recommend for most people for a trip to GNP.
My last few trips during that timeframe have been pretty nice (if a little warm), and it's probably my favorite time to go. The days are too long though - harder to get out for sunrise especially! And sunset cuts into my bedtime.

Originally my (August) dates were driven by the Sperry res and wanting to hike up Gunsight Pass after all the snow had melted, so I didn't want to risk July.
PeteE wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:13 pm FYI...You were on the right track going up the Oberlin trail. I know exactly where you took that pic from. 8)
The steep, loose scree just ahead of you is a pain in the ass but doesn't last long.
Yes, when I got back I checked and saw that I was going the right way (I generally have a good memory for maps, but don't trust myself in the moment). I really wanted to get to the saddle but just couldn't force myself up the scree.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I finally got around to reading your trip report. Thanks for posting and I enjoyed it. Sorry about the smoke. I'm amazed you were getting up so early and still running into crowds.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Great trip report!
Great Photos!
Too bad about the smoke, but it is what it is.
We take a crap shoot when we go to Glacier in late August or September.

But you had prime rib and thanks giving dinner at Sperry Chalet!!
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Jay w wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 pm I finally got around to reading your trip report. Thanks for posting and I enjoyed it. Sorry about the smoke. I'm amazed you were getting up so early and still running into crowds.

Jay
Luckily I was planning on waking up early each morning even before the traffic made it necessary. The crowds were definitely more than I expected - but it's just what happened with the east side closed, and lots of people still traveling this year. The most shocking part was *all* the people walking along the road from more distant pullouts - I've seen that before, but the shuttles do help in normal years.
mattB wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 pm Great trip report!
Great Photos!
Too bad about the smoke, but it is what it is.
We take a crap shoot when we go to Glacier in late August or September.

But you had prime rib and thanks giving dinner at Sperry Chalet!!
Thanks - I just wish the smoke had come ANY DAY other than my Sperry days! I'm hoping 3rd time's the charm, whenever that happens.

Return to “Trip Reports”