Trail of Cedars and Avalanche Lake hike 8-09-2021

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Trail of Cedars and Avalanche Lake hike 8-09-2021

Post by tibber »

With Teapot57
Day Two of our Plan B hikes due to canceled backpack to Gunsight Lake. We checked out of our motel at St Mary and took both cars up to the Pass as we would leave one for our hike out from the Chalet and Highline Trail in a couple days. The drive up Going to the Sun Road (GTTSR) started out nicely enough but as I got closer to Sun Point TH, the clouds got lower and lower. Eventually I would be driving in the clouds and if it weren't for the signs, a person would not know where to turn to get into Logan Pass VC parking area. Tina said she just followed the shuttle bus.

We left her car which normally would have been challenging as the lot fills by 7AM but today, being in the clouds and all, there wouldn't be much hiking from here; thus plenty of parking spots. We were glad this wasn't the day for our reservation at the Chalet. As we headed down the west side we were still in the clouds so were wondering if we were going to be able to hike. As we got a little lower, we came out of the clouds that were now hovering above us. We had to do a couple loops to find a parking spot and fortunately, we got one that was close to the TH. (I don't know why they couldn't have opened up the campground for additional parking but I guess it was a way to try and control the crowds). We ate our leftovers from the Cattle Baron Club before gearing up for our hike.

It would pretty much stay overcast for the hike and it was slightly humid. The Trail of the Cedars is impressive as always (last time I hiked this was 2010). It's a boardwalk which allows one to gawk to your heart's content.
After stopping at the restroom we headed up the trail with the throngs of people and I mean throngs. We had been hearing about the massive crowds on these shorter trails but it was a whole other thing to be hiking as part of it; never an alone moment. The last time I hiked this was with cousin Connie in 2008.

The Gorge was flowing vigorously; I assume the rain of the last day contributed to that. The water is that luscious glacial blue color and contrasting against the green moss and red rock, it's an impressive site and hard to take your eyes off of. We gradually made our way up the trail admiring the surroundings of the very tall trees that had some moss on them. The lack of light caused interesting scenes as well. There were three very large downed trees that we hiked right next to so you could really appreciate their massiveness.

We passed by an avalanche area where there were trees snapped in half. There must have also been some sort of water runoff that was slightly separated from the gorge area where there were downed and broken trees and extra water in little pools; maybe from where Hidden Creek comes into Avalanche Creek. We finally reached the lake. So many humans here that we really didn't stay long. Plus the lighting was difficult to deal with as far as getting photos. However, I got my fair share with lots of waterfall shots :) including a good zoomed movie (wish I had taken a couple more as it turned out very cool). The lake color wasn't as glacial blue due to the rains we'd been having.

On the way back, the traffic continued so at times it felt like bumper pool. A lot more of the children were now being carried. Nonetheless, it's still a pretty hike even on the way down as you notice different things. I hung out at the Gorge for a bit while Tina hit the restroom. We continued back on the Trail of the Cedars to the still full parking area.

The drive back to the east side was completely different than the drive up as the sun was now out. I took some video and it turned out pretty good(Video 3). We had lunch again at The Park Cafe in St Mary. I had the best Huckleberry Milkshake I've ever had, OMG! We checked into the Rising Sun and started preparing for our next three days up on the Highline Trail.

Videos: drive from St Mary, start of hike Trail of Cedars/Avalanche
Avalanche Lake Hike
Hike back and drive to St Mary

Watch: from Restroom 4.42 miles in 2:43 (lowest elev 3475, highest 4041) avg bpm 117 with max 151 burning 905 calories. Starting temp 65.8 and 49% humidity, mostly cloudy finishing at 3:18PM

To see the photoset that includes description and IDs, click on this link (if you don't want the advertisements if they come up, register for free - no hassles from the site, just like here) https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=63591
MISSY
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Trail of Cedars and Avalanche Lake hike 8-09-2021

Post by MISSY »

Thank you for the trip reports and pics with videos. I'm really enjoying seeing them! You made the most of your trip... dodging everything the weather threw at y'all!

MISSY
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Trail of Cedars and Avalanche Lake hike 8-09-2021

Post by tibber »

MISSY wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 pm Thank you for the trip reports and pics with videos. I'm really enjoying seeing them! You made the most of your trip... dodging everything the weather threw at y'all!

MISSY
Yes, the weather challenged us but luckily, Tina and I Have been to the Park enuf to know our options. Thx 4 letting me know you're liking the reports.

Angela

Return to “Trip Reports”