Highline Trail from the Chalet to Logan Pass 8-12-2021

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Highline Trail from the Chalet to Logan Pass 8-12-2021

Post by tibber »

I'm sure you're wondering if I'm ever gonna get done but we're getting closer now... Happy Veteran's Day, THANKS to all of our veterans for your service. It is greatly appreciated!

with Teapot57, my report as posted on hikearizona.com:

Sadly our time at the Chalet had to end. There was nothing but blue sky today. It's amazing the difference in the beauty of the photos during overcast or partly cloudy sky vs all blue sky; nonetheless it was still another incredible day in Glacier National Park hiking on a very nice, but somewhat crowded trail for nearly 8 miles.

We did get to hike in the shade for the first three miles so that was nice. The view toward Heavens Peak and the Chalet were crystal clear and beautiful. The Fireweed was blooming in many areas. We did spot a couple bucks in the meadow below us. Our views toward Lake McDonald were outstanding as coming from this direction, you don't have to look to the side but forward. Beyond the lake the smoke haze was building up again after a couple days of it being gone. I don't know if I mentioned that Montana usually has around 70,000 acres burn in the summer but this year it is 700,000 :o :( and it's still burning, though less intensely as the temps cool.

A little further up the trail was the animal show as we saw a cute baby marmot and two Big Horn Sheep. Just before we topped out this last hill in the shade, we noticed people on their phones. Tina needed to verify her Covid-test appt in Cut Bank so she was able to call to confirm (required for her to get back to Canada). I took a photo and texted it to some people. So we now call this, cell phone hill :lol: (there is little to no coverage in most parts of the Park). Next we waited for a grouse to finish drinking from one of the little drainages.

After climbing the last couple inclines, stepping aside for lots of people traffic, we arrived at Haystack Butte which one could call the Grand Central Hiking Station of Glacier National Park as there are people everywhere. We arrived a little after 11:30 so we had a snack which was biscuits we had made at the Chalet and huckleberry jam, yum! From where we were sitting I saw some people from Room 8 hiking so I yelled hello over to them. I snapped a couple photos of their group as they started their descent of Haystack Butte.

While sitting there, Tina saw Matt (another Glacier Chatter), a fellow we were going to meet up with to hike out. He was up hiking in the BOB and had planned to hike out part of the trail with us. We hung out for awhile, the weather was so nice. After finishing our snack, we started down the switchback of Haystack Butte. From here we hiked in and out of tree-lined trail, past some water drainages and cascades and still stepping aside as we encountered more people traffic which gets even more interesting once you approach the cliff; especially with the narrowness of the trail.

We finally made it to the hysteria of Logan Pass with all the vehicles and people everywhere. I do have to say, I like the hike south better in the first third or so from the Chalet but I much prefer hiking north from Logan Pass on the first half. And ideally, broken clouds is the preferable photographic condition.

We headed down to pick up Tonto 3 at the Rising Sun and then to St Mary Lodge for a late lunch. Next we drove via Hiwy 49 (Looking Glass Road by Two Medicine) over to East Glacier where we had rooms booked. Tina and I prepped for our three day backpack and then we all headed over to Serrano's🌮 for a very late dinner (an hour wait even at 7PM). Food and drink was exceptional as usual. We got our drinks just in time as at 8, the Reservation was in booze shut-down for their 3 day sober holiday. We met up with Laura at her friends house and discussed logistics for pre and post backpack trip.

2 part video:
Chalet to Haystack Butte
Haystack Butte to Logan Pass

To see the photoset that includes description and IDs, click on this link (if you don't want the advertisements if they come up, register for free - no hassles from the site, just like here) https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=63787
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Highline Trail from the Chalet to Logan Pass 8-12-2021

Post by teapot57 »

I’ve been pretty quiet lately. In fact I haven’t spoken til now about our trip or any of Tibber’s trip reports. But let me just tell you all that I am so darn thankful that I have had the opportunity to hike and backcountry camp with Tibber this summer (as well as in 2019). She is a great hiking partner and makes these awesome videos that allow me to relive our adventures during the long off-season.

This was the first time I hiked the Highline towards Logan Pass. There are some long stretches of gradual uphill before you reach Haystack Pass when you hike from this direction. But it was so beautiful to experience the views from a different perspective when hiking back from the Chalet.

It was so nice to meet MattB at Haystack Pass and finish the hike with him. I feel fortunate to have spent this beautiful day with two great Chatter friends, and to top it off I would get to be tentmates on a 2 night trip with another Chatter friend, Laura, aka MissGuiness. After skipping a summer due to Covid, Glacier was good to me and it was nice to reunite with a few friends in 2021.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Re: Highline Trail from the Chalet to Logan Pass 8-12-2021

Post by tibber »

teapot57 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 am I’ve been pretty quiet lately. In fact I haven’t spoken til now about our trip or any of Tibber’s trip reports. But let me just tell you all that I am so darn thankful that I have had the opportunity to hike and backcountry camp with Tibber this summer (as well as in 2019). She is a great hiking partner and makes these awesome videos that allow me to relive our adventures during the long off-season.

This was the first time I hiked the Highline towards Logan Pass. There are some long stretches of gradual uphill before you reach Haystack Pass when you hike from this direction. But it was so beautiful to experience the views from a different perspective when hiking back from the Chalet.

It was so nice to meet MattB at Haystack Pass and finish the hike with him. I feel fortunate to have spent this beautiful day with two great Chatter friends, and to top it off I would get to be tentmates on a 2 night trip with another Chatter friend, Laura, aka MissGuiness. After skipping a summer due to Covid, Glacier was good to me and it was nice to reunite with a few friends in 2021.
Awwwhhh, thx Tina Teapot. I feel so very lucky that we've enjoyed two very awesome trips to Glacier National Park. Now, I can't imagine going there without you. And it was so fun to meet fellow chatters, Matt and Laura (just like when we hiked with Pete in 2019). There's nothing better than hiking with people who know and love the park as much as we do; it's like icing on the cake.

The videos are fun to make (definitely time consuming though) as I get to re-live the trip again, just like I'm doing with my trip to the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains in late Oct. I shoot the movies, but for the most part, don't look at them until I start making the videos. (FYI If you've never been to the Biltmore House at Asheville, NC it is a really worthy destination.)

I agree, it was fun to hike the Highline in the opposite direction; especially the straight views toward Lake McDonald and then coming toward Logan Pass.

I sure hope we all get to hike together again. I'm hoping for Fifty Mountain this time and let's hope they get Goat Haunt open as it just gives us so many more options. Pitamakan-Dawson Loop backpack trip report will be up soon.

Meanwhile, Happy Trails!

Return to “Trip Reports”