G8: 8/30-9/15, 2013..."It's Like Disney, Only Real"

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Glowski
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: G8: 8/30-9/15, 2013..."It's Like Disney, Only Real"

Post by Glowski »

Todd,

Sorry we didn't get to see you this year. :( We left on 9/3. Next year we plan our usual September trip when there are less people and it's cooler. :arrow:

Glad you survived your Sperry Glacier hike. :shock: Learn from your mistakes, buddy. YIKES! I don't want to read about you in the newspaper!

Looking forward to more of the adventure... :|

VAL
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Day 9 - September 7, 2013
65 Degrees, Sun & Rain
Swiftcurrent Cabin (D8)
Hike: Sperry Chalet to Lake McDonald (6.5 miles)

Chapter 4 - East Side Story (Squeeze, 1982)

The first half of the trip included the amazing family memories, a few days in the North Fork and then some time at incredible Sperry Chalet...

As I've learned Glacier and followed many agendas...I've realized that I like to start at Many Glacier, then do some fun travels in the Park, then settle in for several days back at Many Glacier (my true home away from home)...

But first, I needed to have another awesome breakfast at Sperry then head down the "not meant for humans" trail to Lake McDonald...note the warning...they closed Lake Ellen Wilson Campground for bears while I was at Sperry...

A few shots (as that is all this trail is worth in terms of scenery)...I headed out at 7:30AM after breakfast at 7AM...

Now, my car was at Logan Pass (where Jay and I dropped it off), so I needed to find some way to get back there from Lake McDonald...when I arrived at 9:20AM...

I first tried the stable employees (offering $80 for a ride to Logan Pass)...no luck...

Then I tried the front desk folks at Lake McDonald Lodge (same offer)...they said that they were short-staffed at the end of the season and no-one was free...but they said to try the "transportation desk"...

I met a guy named Cyrus...who said that he'd find a way to take care of me...

Immediately after talking to him, a disgruntled tourist confronted Cyrus complaining that the 9AM red bus was late...after an extensive discussion, he cancelled his reservation on the red bus...so Cyrus offered it to me...$50 would get me to Logan Pass (with a few sightseeing spots) along the way...the late bus was about 10 minutes away...nice, I had never been on one of the "jammers"....

Manny, our tour guide...

Off we go...

Needless to say, I had a lot of questions about all the bandages...I think that I scared a lot of people with the answers...

I made it to Logan Pass at 11:30AM...said good-bye to the tour...then jumped into the Rav 4 and headed to Browning to load up on food for the camping days ahead as well as Neosporin, gauze and tape...

Then on to Many Glacier...

I took a shower (my first in 5 days)...dressed wounds (yet again)...then had an early dinner at Swiftcurrent Inn...love the Scapegoat!!!

Laundry next...but for the first time there was a big line...so, I checked into my cabin...then went back for laundry...

Then I settled into the cabin...the heater is great for drying boots (right near the floor with vents pointed down)!!!

I started catching up on my journal (which didn't go to Sperry), when Kim appeared at my door (we had talked on-line and were planning on hiking together the next day along with some folks from Louisiana)...we went looking for them at Many Glacier Campground but did not find them...

Finally, I did some reading at the cabin and then called it a night...

I'd be up early for my third attempt this year to get a campsite...loved being back to Many Glacier and looking forward to meeting several new people over the next week in my favorite part of the Park...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
kimmar

Post by kimmar »

Good post Milkie. Thanks for the great tips. Planning on Floral Park next year, going to keep everything you said in mind.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Day 10 - September 8, 2013
65 Degrees, Clouds & Some Rain
Many Glacier Campground (Site #41)
Hike: Cracker Lake (13 miles, 1,500 feet)

God, it was good to be back at Many Glacier again...though Bowman Lake and Sperry Chalet were excellent as usual...

Jumped out of bed at 5:15AM (I am always so ready to go whenever I'm at Glacier, no matter what time I need to get up)...

Checked out of the cabin and managed to scam a site at Many Glacier at 6:30AM (still a nightmare but not quite as bad)...I set up camp then headed to Swiftcurrent to check weather forecast...90% chance of showers...

Headed to MG Hotel to grab the usual sandwich and hummus from Heidi's for lunch as well as some coffee for now...

Plan was to meet Kim and the Louisiana gang by the Cracker Lake trailhead (the guys were going to get a walk-up for a backpack for the next day and Kim wisely left a message at the Ranger Station for them to meet us there as we missed them the night before)...

Of course, I'm first at trailhead... :mrgreen:

The rest of the hiking partners arrived just about on time (impressive for Kim, chatter name kimmar, as she was staying near Belton Chalet in a rented house)...

The Louisiana gang (Gary, Roger, Chris)...

and Kim who I would hike with a few more times in the next several days...

Kim had worked at Lake McDonald for the season from 1980 to 1982...this was her first time back in many, many years and she was as enthusiastic about the Park as I am...

Our plan was to decide whether we would do Cracker Lake or Snow Moon Basin...based on weather forecast (nearly a sure chance of rain), I recommended Cracker Lake as wet rock scrambles were more than I wanted after the scare on Floral Park...all agreed...

You all know how I feel about this hike and since it was my 19th night at Glacier in 2013 and my 10th night this trip, I was overdue for some Cracker Lake!!!

We headed out in overcast skies...

The company was tremendous...I learned a lot about Crawfish, Cajun cooking, and LSU football from the guys...Kim shared some great stories about "the good old days" working in the Park...

What a great group of hiking partners!!!

How can you pass "Pie Rock" and not take a picture??

The bridge had been rebuilt since last year...

We had some rain the second half of the hike to Cracker...but the cirque looked pretty amazing despite the clouds...

Finally, after all those teaser ups and downs, my sentimental favorite place came into view!!!

We traveled along the lake to the rock outcropping...perfect place for lunch...

It was windy and a bit chilly, Kim was feeling "under the weather" to begin with, a cold that she couldn't shake...but the warmth of the company and the scenery made it a wonderful lunch...the guys had plenty of beef jerky to share...

As we packed out from lunch, the rain started again and we made time to get back into the forest...we saw a cool snow cave along the way...

The trail was much more "soupy" as we did the last few miles...

But we finished a great time and journey...

I returned to my campsite (the rain had stopped) and cooked brats over the campfire to eat with some potato salad and "low carb" (remember that I'm a diabetic) beer...awesome!!!

Time to settle in to the campfire and some reading!!!

A GREAT day despite the clouds and rain showers....
Jen

Post by Jen »

Not sure why the photo didn't show YOU eating PIE on pie rock?
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Todd: Another great TR. I haven't been on the page for a while and just read about your incident on Floral Park. You've convinced me that when I do that hike, I will take my ice ax and crampons. Glad you made it through without any broken bones, though I'm sure your wounds probably hurt worse than a break.

Heff
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I was saving that until I get to do Cracker Lake with you...as we are the Cracker Lake enthusiasts on the board... :wink:
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Day 11 - September 9, 2013
Many Glacier Campground
72 Degrees, Perfect!!!
Upper Two Medicine Lake (plus Astor Falls & Twin Falls) (12 miles, 1,100 feet)

I have really neglected the Two Medicine area of the Park...in fact, I've never stayed at the campground there...I've only had dinner once at Serrano's, a crime really...(planning on remedying that in 2014)

I've done the amazing Pitamakan/Dawson Loop twice...Two Medicine Pass/Chief Lodgepole once...and Scenic Point once...that is all...

I wanted some more new miles and a new backcountry campground to add to my list of those visited, so today would be Upper Two Medicine Lake...

I was up at 5:20AM, did the usual...bathroom, get pack ready, then to Swiftcurrent Inn for weather forecast...it was spectacular for the next 5 days...I told the girl at the Swiftcurrent desk that she should frame that forecast, as it couldn't be any better!!!

Then to Heidi's for lunch supplies (damn, I love that hummus)....

Then headed down to Two Medicine area...watching for free range cattle in the early light...

Arrived at Two Med at 7:30AM...

On a perfect day, I couldn't wait to get started...

The scenery did not disappoint...

Had another awesome long bridge to cross!!!

Onwards...

I hadn't seen a single person several miles into the hike, love that aspect of September journeys...

I reached the "end of the journey" for the boat trip at the head of Two Medicine Lake...nice shelter there...

Plus some nice mountain views by the beach...

Twin Falls is pretty nice!!!

Then onwards to Upper Two Med Lake...still hadn't met anyone...this is about the point that I realized that I should have hiked more in the Two Med area...

Made it to the destination!!!

And it was gorgeous!!! The clouds just added to the effect...

I had lunch along the lake and talked to a few of the backcountry campers...it was a bit windy, but really these times are what we look forward to most of the year (those of us who don't actually live in Paradise)...

On the way back, I stopped again at the head of Two Med Lake....just because it is awesome...

Stopped at Astor Falls on the way back...this time of year, not spectacular but very nice...

Despite the fact that this isn't a high trail, I truly enjoyed the miles...lots to savor...

I drove back home to MG Campground, cooked a few burgers over the fire, finished my 3rd book of the trip and chilled in the one place that I'd choose to spend the night if I only had one more in my life...

Love a mix of solo hikes and those with chatters...tomorrow I'd do another chatter hike in another favorite place in the Park!!!
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

Now that I'm caught up on your trip reports - amazing! Floral Park scared the crap out of me! Two Med is my favorite part of the park! I LOVE Sinopah - you got a great picture of it! What books did you read?
Kim
Jen

Post by Jen »

toddnick wrote:
I was saving that until I get to do Cracker Lake with you...as we are the Cracker Lake enthusiasts on the board... :wink:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

And another great lake to swim in!
Upper Two Medicine was one of my first hikes, back in 2009. Labor Day Saturday. The meadow was crawling with humanity jingling bells and clapping hands and go-bearing.
I enjoyed the campground, on a wooded hill back from the main activity.
Glad you renewed your acquaintance with the place!
Paradise Pt seems to be a favorite place for Ursus to refresh self, and the north side was where I walked through a black bears' playground. From the boat one can usually see bears in the gullies up high, eating berries.
A nice hike.
:D
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

What books did you read?
OK, maybe a bit old school and disappointing...but the last several years I've been reading "Golden Age" who done it's...mysteries from the 1930's through 1960's...don't find them in book stores anymore, have to purchase on Amazon...

I love puzzles...many are "locked room" mysteries...Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, John Dickson Carr, etc...

So, I spend my days enjoying the beauty of Glacier and the nights in mid-20th century England for the most part... :shock:
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

I drove back home to MG Campground, cooked a few burgers over the fire, finished my 3rd book of the trip and chilled in the one place that I'd choose to spend the night if I only had one more in my life...
Todd, do you mean that you would want to spend your last night on earth in the Many Glacier campground? or just Glacier Park in general? This might make an good new topic. I think I'd choose one of the following places...
"Lake Francis"
"Helen Lake"
"Hole in the Wall"
"Upper Kintla lake"
"Cosley Lake"

Looking forward to more of your TR posts!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Paul,

As a non-backpacker, yes...MG campground would be the place that I'd choose for one night...

Also, somehow I forgot to include my dinner pictures after Upper Two Med hike...

Burgers and beans...

AND...Raspberry pie from Park Café...excellent dessert!!!

Hoping to get day 12 up shortly... :D
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Day 12 - September 10, 2013
75 Degrees, Perfect!!!
Many Glacier Campground
Hike: Morningstar Lake (14.5 miles, 1,100 feet)

Up at 5:30AM...hit Heidi's at 6AM and made a radical change to lunch menu...instead of turkey sandwich and garlic hummus...ham sandwich and red pepper hummus!!

Then the morning view I enjoyed for several days...the sun rising over Sherburne Lake as I drove along Many Glacier Road...love watching the colors change on the horizon as I head out for another adventure...

I made it to Cut Bank Ranger Station at 7:15AM...the cows were up!!!

Plans were to meet Kim at 8AM at the Ranger Station...but Kim had never hiked in the Cut Bank area...and I realized that as I turned off the main road, the sign that said "Cut Bank" with the arrow wasn't there (it had been there the day before)...we found out later that they take it down when they close Cut Bank Campground...anyway...I got nervous that Kim might miss the turnoff and drove the 5 miles back to the main road so that Kim would see me there...I arrived at 8AM and waited only a few minutes before she saw me (she had passed the turnoff earlier and was headed back South to find it)...potential problem averted...

We started the hike at 8:30AM...Kim still feeling a bit under the weather but she had visited a Doctor in Kalispell the day before and now had some antibiotics..

I love the Cut Bank Valley and have done a hike here late in my vacation for the last several years...especially love the early mountain views..

We hadn't decided our destination yet...it would be Medicine Grizzly Lake, Triple Divide Pass or Morningstar Lake...we'd see how things were going a few miles down the trail at the junction...

Kim was thinking Triple Divide Pass...seeing her condition and based on how that affected her on the Cracker Lake trail...I recommended Morning Star Lake (same distance, a lot less elevation gain)...she grudgingly agreed...

The miles to the junction are nice (including Atlantic Creek Campground) but the miles from the junction to Morningstar Lake are great!!! Meadows, mountain views, water features...beautiful...

We were both enjoying this perfect day...

Onwards to Morningstar Lake...while hearing some very entertaining stories from Kim about her time as an employee in the early 80's...good stuff about the North Fork including some raucous nights at Northern Lights Saloon...

Made it...the only other time I was here was in 2010 and it may have my most depressing hike at Glacier...after hiking in rain/snow the previous 4 days, this was 14.5 miles in a steady rain with no views of the lake when I got there...

This time I got views of the picturesque lake...

We stopped at Morningstar Campground for lunch...trail crews were there putting up a new outhouse and doing trail maintenance...I enjoyed my "new menu" for lunch and after finishing lunch in the food prep area, we sat by the lake for a while...

Then we headed back...

We made it back to the trailhead at 3PM...finalized plans for a scramble the next day...then she headed back West and I made my way back to Many Glacier Campground...

Dinner was brats cooked over the fire and potato salad...

Dessert was blackberry pie!!!

I ran into a couple that I had met at Sperry Chalet (they were from Oregon) and we caught up...then settled in for more reading as I watched the sun set behind the mountains...

Return to “Trip Reports”