Spring, Summer,, Fall, & Winter 2015-16 Around GNP

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Spring, Summer,and Now Fall 2015 Around GNP

Post by Jay w »

Pete,

Well, I'm surprised they clear ANY snow at McDonald Lodge. I followed the link to the horse trailer and turkey video. It's always interesting to see "stuff" out there. I'd love to ski the road up to the pass and check things out.

Back in the 90s, I organized a Thanksgiving ski camp in northern MN. This is an area that has set the record low temp for MN (-60F), and the brochure for the camp stated "guaranteed snow." I asked what that meant and they said, "We can always make snow." I've raced many times up there in Jan. and -35 or -40F overnight temps seemed to happen every winter. The races were always really fuc#ing cold. After I handed over the reins, the camp was cancelled due to no snow and temps too warm to make snow (a first). They also quit running the camp due to iffy snow in the 2000s.

This winter reminds me of that decade. It's really strange when we (in MPLS) can't drive to Duluth, northern MN, WI, or the UP of Michigan and not find snow around Dec 1. Certainly there would be snow up in Houghton (the northern tip of MI) in December. It's like Buffalo NY. There will be snow.

They were really worried about no snow In Houghton, the site of the US National Champs the first week of Jan, until they got snow this week. The Birkie Trail (northern WI) has also gotten snow, as well as Duluth, the north shore or MN, etc. Merry Christmas! We just need it to stay cold for a while and to stop raining. Tomorrow, MPLS is supposed to get a couple inches, which is just enough to do SOMEthing other than drive to snow.

Yada, yada, yada,

Jay

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay,
They plow Lake McDonald all the time.
As Lyman observed, they do not rake the leaves inthe lots :)

They have to plow so that maintenance people can geyt in if nothing else.
And then some people like me :) lile visit all year ya think?
Cheers
Pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Pizza Bob

12/26-12/27 Ski

Post by Pizza Bob »

Went skiing around the Glacier View Golf Course on Boxing Day, and then to Fish Creek the next day.
These two photos are opposites. The first is looking in to the park from the golf course, with
Apgar Mtn. on the left and the Belton Hills on the right. The second is from Fish Creek looking
across Lake McDonald out of the park, with Belton Hills on the left and Apgar Mtn. on the right.

The x-country ski conditions this year are absolutely superb! I haven't used the snow shoes
yet because the skiing is so good. Pete, give a holler when you are up to see B&C and
it'll give an excuse to break out the snow shoes.

You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hey PizzaBob

I will do that asap. I had another 12 hour ER visit this past Sunday :(
Another "episode like I had back on April 30th. Nobody knows what's going on with me.
They are leaning towards "anxiety attack" which I think is nuts all things considered.
Sunday morning it came on as I was feeding the crows here at home...not exactly an "anxious moment" LOL!!!!
So I drove to the ER and spent 12 hours having bad chills, wretching, getting CAT scanned and X-Rays, etc. A really shi**y day

If I had wanted to get chilled I'd have been out at GNP for crying out loud!!!!!

I'm not sure if my ski boots fit correctly. Too small I think. If they feel OK I may bring them.
I've gotten paranoid about skiing alone the last couple years. I'm afraid I may "fall and can't giddy up". :)
If I do bring them, keep in mind I'm a RANK amateur at xcountry skiing. Maybe you can help me out?

I probably won't get out there until Friday earliest. I have your number and will call you when I can get out.
Right now I have to go clean snow up and fix a couple machines.

later and thanks for the pics you posted!!!!

pete :wink:

George Carlin
Pizza Bob

Post by Pizza Bob »

Pete,

I taught my kids to x-country ski when they were old enough, and I'm more than willing
to give it a try with you when you get old enough too!

The pesky health issue is disconcerting, to say the least. I suspect there are a fair number of us
looking forward to your showing us Dragon's Tail, Shangri-La, and Angel's Wing
in the future. We'll need you in a state of good repair for that, so please make
your health the first priority.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Pizza Bob wrote:Pete,

I taught my kids to x-country ski when they were old enough, and I'm more than willing
to give it a try with you when you get old enough too!

That would be very kind of you. If it looks like I'm too spastic/uncoordinated, I won't torture you :) I'll give up and snowshoe! The first thing I need to do is find out about the boots I have. A blister is not an option for me. The last time I wore them, I got small blisters on the tops of my middle two toes. I think because they're too small, but could have been "bad technique" related I'm told as well.

The pesky health issue is disconcerting, to say the least. I suspect there are a fair number of us
looking forward to your showing us Dragon's Tail, Shangri-La, and Angel's Wing
in the future. We'll need you in a state of good repair for that, so please make
your health the first priority.

Thanks for that endorsement! Yeah, I need to watch what I do a bit more carefully. I can't do at 68 what I could at 58. It sucks. That said...
I'm not letting whatever this is intimidate me with regard to how I spend my "fun time". I have some script anti nausea tabs now which were a huge help in the ER(IV there)
Not much to do about the "chills" but have enough warm blankets available. I wouldn't want to have an episode on a cold night at say MOK. But then I'll have my ResQ Beacon so Two Bear can find me if it gets really life threatening bad....which these things have not been so far.

I bought T-shirt summer of 2002 when I moved here. Showed a hiker on the back with the following on it
You can get eaten by a bear and die.
You can fall off a cliff and die...or
You can fall off the couch and die
HIKE MONTANA

Soooooo...regarding my episodes....
I'm just going to do what I can do...one day at a time. Every day's a new day.
A lot of folks didn't wake up this morning. I did. So thank God 8)
I'm good to go one more time!

I'm liking this winter so far.
This is what winter should be like: cold and snow (16F as I type), but not too much of either, and moderate winds. :mrgreen:
Of course it never quite works that way does it? 8)

It looks like another long "inversion" forecast for the Flathead Valley. Might last for a week with Lows in single digits F and Highs teens to low 20's....with the usual low stratus cloud bank and freezing fog. That grim weather doesn't bother me too much since wind is almost non existent. Whole different deal when the wind gets up.

later

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I drove out to the park briefly before doing some work in town.
That's why I didn't call you PizzaBob. I didn't know I was going till I got to the Blue Moon.
I hadn't seen B&C for 2 weeks or more.
Got lucky today!

Clyde flew right down to me as soon as I drove into he parking lot. That's on the video(later)
Bonnie still pretty shy and she hangs back.
I love taking pictures of Clyde when he's so close. He cooperates pretty well by remaining still(for a bird) 8)
They fluff up their very fine, soft downy feathers in cold weather, pull their heads down into their body, and then sit on their feet to help stay warm.

These birds are quite comfortable in 10F weather as long as they have an adequate diet.
My diet doesn't seem to help my cold tolerance LOL!!!!!!!!!!

It was nice just outside the park

I liked the red sign against the snow and trees.

Around the lake the inversion persisted--grim, cold(10F) and grey.

Me and my buddy Clyde the Raven 8)

Clyde says, "I dunno who the old fart in the red jacket is, but I'm a handsome lil devil aren't I?"

Bonnie hangs back but she is always around.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Watch for Clyde after I pass the last vehicle driving in. He "knows" Squeeze when he sees him 8)

Runs about 4:25

George Carlin
Pizza Bob

Post by Pizza Bob »

Got up this morning and saw it was 4 degrees in West Glacier, and 34 degrees in St. Mary. Thus
a trip to the east side was in order. The skiing was marginal -- the west side has about
4 feet of snow and the east side has about 4 inches -- so there were many bare spots (and I
didn't bring any "bare" spray with me). We saw no one else, so we had that area of the park
to ourselves.

I went to Two Sisters,
Hoping to get "Hucked".
They're closed for the season,
So instead I got .... out-of-lucked.

(I really had trouble making that rhyme)

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Ok, now is when I start asking (every week), "Is Lake McDonald frozen over yet?'

Good work guys. Burn some calories, take some pictures, and post a report.

(Thanks.)

Jay

BTW, drove up nordth for some skiing. Locally, not really enough sow to race but enough to rock ski.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

Pete,
Even Clyde's claws are beautiful! Smart birds, they are. Happy New Year!
PeteE

Re: Spring, Summer,, Fall, & Winter 2015-16 Around GNP

Post by PeteE »

Today was my 68th b/d so I took the afternoon off to take some pictures. Stanton Mtn(7750ft) appears to be well covered in snow above 7000ft or so.

Lake McDonald still photographs nice even on a crappy day.

Clyde seemed to be curious about my camera today, pecking at the lens. That made for some fun, whimsical type shots as well as more "serious" poses 8).

This is a good pose to show Clyde's "throat ruffle" which is well developed in mature ravens. You can also see the many types of feathers a raven has around its head and shoulders. Ravens can exercise very precise "control" over their feathers. This feather control allows them to take on many looks combined with their "posturing". Ravens have quite large eyes, with just part of the pupil showing externally. And last but not least---that incredible bill. A ravens bill is a true "multi-purpose tool". Ravens are quite strong birds and they can rip, tear, and crush with it...never mind unzip backpacks, open cam buckled lunchboxes, punch holes in tough plastics like TupperWare. Don't be fooled by the small size of the hook on Clyde's upper mandible. He can excise meat from a carcass that's frozen well below zero with ease.

Here's a good shot to show how big ravens are. The roof line is about 15-16 inches from the tool box deck. Ravens are 3 times or more the size of a crow.

Here Clyde gives a completely different look by fluffing his feathers---here in seeming "agitation/annoyance? with Bonnie who was on the ground below.

He seemed interested in the camera lens, perhaps "self awareness" of some sort from the reflection. Studies have shown corvids to be "self aware".

Yeah, but you haven't climbed Mt Brown yet you old geezer 8)

Pete the Geezer and Clyde the Raven

Thanks for indulging an old geezer on his birthday
pete
:wink:

George Carlin
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Pete,
Happy Birthday and it was good to see a post from you. Hadn't seen one lately and was beginning to worry. Glad you got out for your birthday!
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Pete,

Great pictures. It is fascinating to see the different raven appearances.

Happy Birthday.

Bill
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

That first photo of Clyde is my favorite. You took some great shots that show the beauty of his feathers. I love seeing his purple highlights.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Tina

Return to “Trip Reports”