A First Timer's Trip, August 4-12

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: A First Timer's Trip, August 4-12

Post by Jay w »

Nice report with a sad bookend. Thanks for drafting it.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

Yes, it's tremendously sad to read the news about Sperry.

Here are 2 photos of our room. The first one is from our arrival day.

ImageUntitled by Eileen Francis, on Flickr

This one is us sitting in our room waiting out the storm that would start the fire. Weird.

ImageUntitled by Eileen Francis, on Flickr
kdoc
Gender?: Male

Post by kdoc »

I was in that exact same room last year, but the bed was turned 90 Degrees facing the window and the Tapestry on the wall was backwards then. The light spots on the beam across the top match my pictures exactly.
here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

I think it was Room 19? It was 2nd floor and faced the rear of the building.

It's very strange to think that we were the last people to stay in that room (unless firefighters did). I guess we can say we were they last guests to stay there....and that it is gone is very very strange.

In fact, we've thought about our trip and its timing (early August) so many times and think how if we'd put it off literally any later, it would have been so very different.
KyCindy
Gender?: Female

Post by KyCindy »

Hi Eileen
I’m late to reading your trip report. We were in GNP in late July 2017. Your Sperry Chalet story is amazing! I appreciate your report. It is nice to hear that everyone got out safely. Too bad about the inconvenience with shuttles.
We had a similar mishap at the beginning of our trip like the glasses incident. The airline lost my bag not my husband’s. It took 5 days for it to catch up to me. ( Maybe i should belatedly tell my tale since we’re planning a trip for July 2019}
We hiked Grinnell and Iceberg while there but we were staying at Rising Sun so it was harder to get an early start. Grinnell seemed more grueling because we didn’t have a boat reservation on front end of hike and we were racing to catch boat on back end of hike. Iceberg we ate at Nell’s. We sat at bar and my husband still has fond memories of the spaghetti dinner and Moose Drool a local brown ale. A well earned meal.
My reservations for 2019 include Village at Apgar, Swiftcurrent and Many. So i’m happy to hear your review of those.
I made reservations in Sept ‘18 so I will try to make our reservation have less moves if cancellations happen. We have Swiftcurrent, Many, Swiftcurrent so not ideal. Although I was thrilled to have something in area.
Was there any explanation for your planes strange flight path? lol

Oh well I hope you see my comment eventually.
Thanks
Cindy

Return to “Trip Reports”