Birthday Present 2017

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Birthday Present 2017

Post by tibber »

sad it's over. I enjoyed the read and all the details, good and bad.

I'm going to try and make it up next year again. Would love to hang around the Belly River area for a couple days but also would like to do Pitamakan to Cut Bank. We'll see. Sometimes it's a matter of finding someone to play with and then the logistics.

anyway, enjoyed your great trip report. you really made the most of everything and it showed in both your words and pictures!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

Definitely enjoyed your trip report. I always like those longer backpacks. Hope you find better boots next time.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Jay w wrote:Glenn's head and Margaret, eh? Wow. Those look great and you had some fantastic weather. Belly River has been on the to-do list for a while. The other one is the second floor of Granite Park Chalet. What a great view.

Thanks for the report.

Jay
Fo Sho JayW, a destination worthy! I like how Tina put it...a Lolligag there. 8) On the map, it may seem a valley just to traverse to get to higher places but being there on the shore on a windless morning taking in a perfect reflection or a breezy afternoon with full-on sun stepping out in cool shallows, one wishes that time would stand still for awhile.

And ya know who introduced us to The Belly...accompanied us on our first backpack in Glacier, in bear country (i was kinda scared of it back then), who had the instructions to take us on a bushwhack & scramble up to Margaret....Yup, your friends and ours. Thank You PeteE. :wink: :D

2nd floor GPChalet...how about it JulieJoy! :idea: :mrgreen:

And Wait...Wait a Minute....I am missing your earlier post and afraid its gone for good! :oops: Ya know, the classic Jay one...hilarious in trying to represent yourself as a camping/hiking 'retard' when everyone knows that what you do is UH-Mazing!?! It had multiple elements that i'd hoped to address when i had more time but didn't get back. At 55, i need some Ginko Biloba or something b/c its all abit hazy now save for discussion of "My Boots" and words ending in "Tard". :lol: :lol:
Hope that post returns from neverland.
Ohhh, OK, cobwebs dusted away
1) BUCK at Swifty Lookout. Yes, too many people talk about getting to meet Buck, so we realize thats got to stay on Our To-Do List. Jay Really, running down Swiftcurrent Trail trying to beat the dark!!!! Its Called "BEARS" Man, look into it! :shock: Something tells me Julie didn't know you'd be out that late...
2) BOOTS. I will save that for my response to EarMtn, but hold that thought. You were lucky in your new boots backpacking, Very. I tell you, i've always thought about carrying a lighter camp shoe like flip flops or crocs (atleast on trips where we didn't have to ford) but being able to hike in those Teva's saved me. Joyce mentioned hiking a lot in Chaco's. Think thats gone be a Xmas present to self b/c the arch support was all that was missing for some very happy feet.
3) Side adventures in the Belly (i think that was the third subject?) Commence self flagellation for not doing Bear Mtn Observation Point, or swimming at the pool below Gros Ventre Falls. Honestly, its almost not right that us two loafers got to take a spot at Cosley for the night and didn't do one of those two things. Hoping others :wink: might make our Chatters proud.
There was more...missed it, my bad. So sad for our readers. :cry:
Thanks again, Tam
Last edited by TnTammy on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

tibber wrote:sad it's over. I enjoyed the read and all the details, good and bad.

I'm going to try and make it up next year again. Would love to hang around the Belly River area for a couple days but also would like to do Pitamakan to Cut Bank. We'll see. Sometimes it's a matter of finding someone to play with and then the logistics.

anyway, enjoyed your great trip report. you really made the most of everything and it showed in both your words and pictures!
Tibber Hey!!
Loved, loved your video up to Boulder Pass and Hole...felt like i relived that whole journey watching! Would you teach me some wildflowers on a hike sometime?? You know so many and I think it adds a lot of enjoyment getting to know the Flora. Kinda like friends greeting you along the Path. 8) 8)

Thank you for reading Tibber. It Was a particularly good trip and we thought it deserved a nice write-up. Of Note, we took a fair amount of video too but Mike's found it abit time consuming to edit. Hope to add some here on Chat and to the website b/c as you have done so well, its great to see these locations in 360.

Pitamakin to Cut Bank....YESSSSS, good luck on that!!
Last edited by TnTammy on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

Thanks for the delightful trip report! Loved hearing about all the people you met. I also appreciated the unusual itinerary - long days, short days, zero days - it gives me ideas. I traveled the Belly from Chief Mtn. Customs to Waterton, but didn't have time to explore the Mok Lake area. Should have included an extra day. The huckleberry patch below Stony Indian Pass was a lifesaver - gave me the energy to get up and over!
Sue Z
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Ear Mountain wrote:Definitely enjoyed your trip report. I always like those longer backpacks. Hope you find better boots next time.
Hey There Ralph! :P

My guess is that it was about 4 years ago when i read your trip report to Fifty Mountain where you did Sue Lake Overlook and summited Kipp, Cathedral and more. Your pics and descriptions sure made an impression!

Well we did make it there but I'm already wanting a Do-Over.
1) Yes, better boot situation. Think i mentioned in the post to Jay that I'd discuss the boot situation in more detail, but in fact, i covered it back a few Chapters ago. Fingers crossed Esatto can help fix the problem. I'll be singing a happy song if they can.
2) If we were to return to GP Chalet, a day HAS to be devoted to the Ahern Pass area. It was Gorgeous. The stream, all the wildflowers, Iceberg and Ahern Peak, and getting to see onto Helen.
3) The biggest thing we'd need to do, and advice that i'd imagine you'd offer, is work on our conditioning beforehand. That's where your example is so helpful Ralph; you find a way to enjoy the outdoors no matter the season...in fact, in celebration of the season! There's always Next Year....

"I always like the longer backpacks"
Indeed, therein lies the sweetness. For very little additional food weight per day, we really appreciated the time. Knew no boredom. Noticed so many little things.
Can really see the appeal of Wilderness (like how you have come to know The Bob) for those longer backpacks. Ability to camp at-large, and adjust your plans, pad with a spare day for side trips.

Thanks for reading Ralph! Hope to get to see pics again this year of Isaac Walton?? :arrow: :arrow:
Tam
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Sue Z wrote:Thanks for the delightful trip report! Loved hearing about all the people you met. I also appreciated the unusual itinerary - long days, short days, zero days - it gives me ideas. I traveled the Belly from Chief Mtn. Customs to Waterton, but didn't have time to explore the Mok Lake area. Should have included an extra day. The huckleberry patch below Stony Indian Pass was a lifesaver - gave me the energy to get up and over!
Thanks for the Complement SUE!
Yes, enjoyed some Great People this trip: From staff at GP Chalet to Rangers, First Timers to Mountaineers, backcountry Guides to people from far away, and of course SIBS! :lol: Lotta Good-naturedness Out There.

If the berries were ripe for you at Stoney then we couldn't have been too many days from missing each other. How was your trek? Good weather, smoke not too bad? Bear Encounters? Well, I'm just trying' to cheat and find out ahead of your Trip Report, aren't I. :P

Be funny Sue to run across each other in a ripe Berry Patch, justa chowin' down :mrgreen:
Sweet Travels,
Tam
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

TnTammy wrote:
...And ya know who introduced us to The Belly...accompanied us on our first backpack in Glacier, in bear country (i was kinda scared of it back then), who had the instructions to take us on a bushwhack & scramble up to Margaret....Yup, your friends and ours. Thank You PeteE. :wink: :D
Regarding that lil "mention" above...
Shows folks here just what genuine, kind, decent people you and Mike are. :D
Epic trip for sure. You and Mike put together a great report.
Tammy, I don't know what to say other than a heartfelt "Thank You".

pete :wink:

How did I get the "high ground" at that site?
I remember poor Mike having to trench around your tent. :(
Truly "lame video" circa August 3rd, 2012 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

TnTammy wrote:
And Wait...Wait a Minute....I am missing your earlier post and afraid its gone for good! :
Sometimes a joke isn't funny. Part of the "trying to be funny" rather than just "being funny." After sleeping on it, I deleted the "lucktad" bit.

BTW, in retrospect, would you bring everything you brought?

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

PeteE wrote:
TnTammy wrote:
...And ya know who introduced us to The Belly...accompanied us on our first backpack in Glacier, in bear country (i was kinda scared of it back then), who had the instructions to take us on a bushwhack & scramble up to Margaret....Yup, your friends and ours. Thank You PeteE. :wink: :D
Regarding that lil "mention" above...
Shows folks here just what genuine, kind, decent people you and Mike are. :D
Epic trip for sure. You and Mike put together a great report.
Tammy, I don't know what to say other than a heartfelt "Thank You".

pete :wink:

How did I get the "high ground" at that site?
I remember poor Mike having to trench around your tent. :(
Truly "lame video" circa August 3rd, 2012 8)
AWwwww Pete....Huge Smile There!! :mrgreen:

Such fun that trip in 2012 despite the rain! It was great to see, rather 'hear', the deluge in that video again. What a night there at ELF and poor Mikey, the trenchman. Yup folks, there IS a higher ground at that middle site at ELF. Of Note, Mike WAS a good steward and repaired the trench before leaving; don't want to leave the impression that its OK to mar a camp. Yes Pete, remember the rain and 'snow' at higher elevations changed our plans of going out the Tunnel. Now having gotten to exit ELF via the Tunnel, I Really hope you get to do that Pete (maybe you have?)....its a Beauty!

Despite all that rain in 2012, we sure had it good at Margaret, didn't we! Sun and the great color of that lake. Mike and I had never been off-trail and that trip Pete took us up to Shangri-La on a magnificent day, guiding us in such a way to see to our absolute safety. So even though the path heading up to Margaret was unknown to us, i had a great confidence being there with Pete in the Lead. Just like before at Shang and later at Dragon's Tail, he really looks after the people he's with, so it was a fun little scramble with fear not even entering the picture. Appreciate All of That, Friend! :P

Thanks much for the complement about the trip report too. Thought Mike did a nice job with the Pics. He's just learning about editing video but it takes time. Gives us a much better appreciation of those that put up a lot of video on Chat. :wink: 8)

Wishing you All the Best, Tam & Mike
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

TnTammy wrote:
Sue Z wrote: If the berries were ripe for you at Stoney then we couldn't have been too many days from missing each other. How was your trek? Good weather, smoke not too bad? Bear Encounters? Well, I'm just trying' to cheat and find out ahead of your Trip Report, aren't I. :P

Be funny Sue to run across each other in a ripe Berry Patch, justa chowin' down :mrgreen:
Sweet Travels,
Tam
My trip was two years ago, so I missed you by quite a bit! :D I appreciate the valuable intel about those other easy-to-find berry patches.
Sue Z
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Jay w wrote:
TnTammy wrote:
And Wait...Wait a Minute....I am missing your earlier post and afraid its gone for good! :
Sometimes a joke isn't funny. Part of the "trying to be funny" rather than just "being funny." After sleeping on it, I deleted the "lucktad" bit.
Actually thought you pulled off Lucktard rather well based on the chuckles elicited here. :lol:

BTW, in retrospect, would you bring everything you brought?
Love this subject and hearing what others do.
Things we wouldn't take again:
1) Ratsacks, the rodent proof mesh bags. We took a large and 2 smalls which weighed prolly 2 lbs. Unlike other Parks which have a major rodent problem in the food prep area, we did not encounter them crawling on our food items the moment we turned our heads. Also don't think any of the campers encountered them going up on the cables and down into their food bags. The only concern Mike had was that there were gnaw marks on food packages in the bear box at ELF from a previous trip...this i think was averted by having our food in Opsaks, the smellproof ziploc bags.
2) Sawyer Mini and squeezebags. It was our first time using the Platypus Gravityworks water filter which worked great so didn't need the Sawyer. We had plenty of Micropur tabs as our backup.

Things we doubled up on or didn't use but would probably take again:
1)YakTrax. At the time, the BC Office couldn't confirm the status of the Ahern Drift, we only knew that it had been blasted the week prior. We brought Microspikes in our luggage but were pretty sure that wasn't needed. Yaktrax seemed lightweight enough to afford a bit of insurance.
2)Mosquito head netting. Mike permethrin'ed our clothing/hats/bandannas. There were clouds of skeeters at Helen, we got away without a single bite for 12 days 'cept for mean horseflies? near MOJ.
3)2 PLB's. Given that its good trail all the way, a fall of several hundred feet being quite unlikely, prolly no need for redundancy on the PLBs. Mike always has one in his pocket.
4)Fuel. We carried 2 of the larger 8 oz fuel cans. One canister seems to last about 6 days or 12 uses with the Pocketrocket. Thats morning coffee and hot drinks with dinner. Arguably one large and one small would have been plenty but the weight seemed nominal.
5)Food. Always a spare Mountain House meal and thats about all we came out with. We had maybe 1-2 cereals left. As far as lunch, we exhausted all tuna packets, jerky, cashews, cookies, cheetos :P , dried mango & pineapple without feeling hungry.
6)Additional batteries for headlamps, GPS, GoPro and 2 Anker power packs for phones. Bit heavy. The Anker's were great, probably only need one. He took 10 GoPro batteries, used 6. 4 AA's for GPS, 6 AAA's for headlamps.
7)Blister kit and Med Kit. Over the years i have tried to pare down these items but being a medical person, i feel like i may be in a position to help others so i carry a bit more quantity, especially in the blister kit category. I Love Leukotape and 2nd Skin. New addition this year: Kinesiology tape for support of knees or ankles...stays on for several days.

What we didn't take and didn't miss:
1) The Nikon, camera bag and tripod. Cut about 7 lbs off Mike.

Fun Question, Thanks. T

Jay
PJ

Post by PJ »

Wonderful trip report! Reading it made my day! We used permethrin for the first time this summer (in the Winds) and it worked amazingly! We tested it dayhiking before our backpacking trip - wearing the permethrined clothes on one dayhike, and not the next day on another hike. The stuff works. Fun to watch a mosquito zero in on you, hover, then dejectedly fly off without even landing. So glad you had a wonderful time - I appreciate you taking the time and effort to share it!
IRG

Post by IRG »

Hello Tammy and Mike.
So cool to see you posting again.
Haven't checked in awhile so just seen this thread.
Anxious to read thru it all.
Welcome back.
DA
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Somehow, I missed the answer to my question, until now. Huh. Well, I only recognize about half the stuff you mention, which goes to show what i have to learn about backpacking.

Hah,

Jay

Still swinging a big 0 on landing an MG reservation.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Trip Reports”