GNP 2018: Backpack Cut Bank Valley, Highline - Chalet - Swiftcurrent, Upper Two Med

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

GNP 2018: Backpack Cut Bank Valley, Highline - Chalet - Swiftcurrent, Upper Two Med

Post by tibber »

I'm slowly getting through my photos and have started my trip reports on hikearizona.com. I will provide the links as that's an easier format for me to use. In the trip reports are links to the videos I created. I'm madly trying to get them done as youtube is taking away the stabilizer enhancement Aug 22nd and I really rely on that for my shooting while hiking movies. I will slowly add to this trip report as I get each segment complete.

We didn't have too bad a battle with the mosquitoes and flies but marmots on the other hand, that's a whole other story. The weather and temps were good for the most part though many times during the hiking the weather threatened. The trails were in impeccable shape as usual. Pitamakan Pass hike from MOR was much more beautiful than I imagined. Triple Divide Pass at the pass was even more astonishing than any pictures I've seen.The people on the Highline Trail was like a mass exodus. The Swiftcurrent Summit was like being on the top of the world for this non peak-bagger. Oh, and the bear cub up the tree at Two Medicine North Shore was the icing on the cake. It was a great trip as always and made even more fun by running into fellow chatters Bill and Sue and their friends and family. There were many coincidences on this trip, especially Max from Many Glacier Lodge. He's a young peak-bagger.

This was our itinerary:
Jul 24 arrive Kalispell 1PM, stay Izaak Walton Inn
Jul 25 Two Medicine, E Glacier, stay Brownies Hostel
July 26-29 four day backpack: Thur to MOR from Cut Bank, Fri day hike Pitamakan Pass plus (stay MOR), Sat hike to ATL - hike Triple Divide Pass, Sun ATL to Cut Bank TH (Thx to Tina for putting that one on the radar and together!). Stay at St Mary KOA, hook up with Bill and friends, set up shuttle at Scurrent TH.
(a side note, the hanging (hammock) went pretty good altho a bit difficult at ATL)
Jul 30 hike Highline Trail to Chalet, stay at Chalet right next to Sue and we got to stay in the Chalet
Jul 31 hike Swiftcurrent Summit/Firetower (ran into Sue and family up there too - what fun!), stay at Chalet
Aug 1 hike Scurrent Trail to Many Glacier, hook up with Bill and friends (Jim and MacKenzie and Tara and her daughter), stay at St Mary KOA
Aug 2 hike St Mary KOA Nature Trail (believe it or not, it's hard to follow), wanted to kayak but it was too windy, trip to Babb for spectacular dinner at the Cattle Baron Club
Aug 3 hike to Upper Two Med Lake via North Shore Trail with Bill and friends, drive to Kalispell
Aug 4 fly home 6AM, Wendy starts volunteer vacation at Bob Marshall Wilderness. (Wendy is the Volunteer coordinator for the Arizona Trail and runs their volunteer vacations).
July 24th was the start with both Wendy and me arriving at Kalispell GIA at 1 pm. From that point on, we more or less ran late of a pre-conceived schedule I had in mind to the point where we missed getting our permit at Apgar. Our first nite was at the infamous Izaak Walton Inn. I highly recommend it but mostly for the dining.
Here is the photoset and trip report that goes into further detail: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50739 (video links are in trip report)

Our second day, Jul 25 we went to Two Medicine to pick up the permit, did the Running Eagle Falls hike where we had lunch and then checked into Brownie's Hostel at E Glacier where I wouldn't stay again I don't think. It was okay but I expected a little better for the price. We walked to the Lodge, had cocktails and then came back for dinner at the Whistle Stop where we got a "hail" show.
Here is the photoset and trip report that goes into further detail: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50769 (video links are in trip report)

Day three Thursday, Jul 26 the time had finally arrived to throw on that very heavy pack as we had two nites at MOR and one nite at ATL with day hiking in-between. I've been having trouble with my pack the last year but I really love the pack so I'm trying to figure out a way to get it to that comfort level I had in the first couple years I wore it (starting back in 2009). I think I have figured it out but not until we hiked from ATL back to Cut Bank TH.
Anyway, here is the photoset and trip report: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50817 (video links are in trip report)

I'm currently working on the Pitamakan Pass plus videos. Now picking out the photos for the photoset is really hard as it was a great day and so many pictures.

Happy Trails,
Tibber
Last edited by tibber on Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
thorn726
Gender?: Male

Re: GNP 2018 by Tibber

Post by thorn726 »

great report and photos thanks for sharing. im a "railfan", extra like for the train shot.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I made it through the second photo set, and it looks great so far.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

You are a great photographer and I like reading your photo captions. I now know how to identify the Old Squaw. :D

Glad you and Wendy enjoyed the backpack and I hope our schedules are more in line next year!
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Thx everyone for the comments.
I am still plowing away but got two more done. The first is the hike from MOR to Pitamakan Pass plus on Friday, July 27th. We weren't sure what the weather would bring but luckily the storm held off until bedtime. This was really a fabulous hike and really not that hard; thankfully. It really was pretty and the constant changing of the color of the lakes because of our changing skies, it was one of those, "did I get a picture of it in that light?" :lol: It truly was fabulous having lunch up on the ridgeline but it sure was a busy place.
Didn't see one person take the Cut Bank Pass Trail. And then to see that big group of Sheep; especially the little ones, was just an extra bonus. And the hoary marmots too; even though they can be difficult as we would find out at Triple Divide Pass the next day. The hike up the Dawson Pass to Morgan point was pretty awesome as well. Certainly a hike I would do again but obviously, it was much easier with just a day pack.
Here is the link to the photos and trip report. The trip report has the links to the videos: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50863

We couldn't have timed our into the tents better as the light rain started and then the storm rolled in. It really was something. I wish I had more of the thunder on video as the sound it made going up that valley was incredible. Sat, July 28th MOR to ATL: Walking through the wet the next morning was no fun though and that's where my blister started. I normally don't get blisters but the wet changes that. We were not impressed with ATL. Like Pete said, it's a place to sleep. But at least, after we got back from the Triple hike, we met a very nice family so that made it a lot more tolerable.
Here is the link to the photos and trip report. The trip report has the link to the video: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50876

Oh, there is an old trail we saw coming and going about 2.34 from MOR toward ATL. I put up a satellite picture of it. It looks like it was a well established trail. Here is the link to the satellite map and if you zoom in, you can see the trail: https://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=39388&M=5. Would be curious if anyone knew what that was at one time as it's clearly blocked now.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Okay, two more done as I try to beat the youtube stabilizer cut off. Triple Divide Pass and the hike out to Cut Bank Ranger Station.

Saturday, Jul 28th. If you have a bucket list for Glacier, THIS one should be on it. Once again, thanks to Tina for helping with the permit on this itinerary in Cut Bank. Wendy is the one that really want to do this particular hike ever since 2011. I'm sure glad she did as the reward was awesome and what a great trail: links to my video are in the trip report below the photoset - https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50894

Now as to our hike out the next morning, Sun, Jul 29th it was not your normal everyday walk in the Park so to speak. We were in for quite the surprise as the meadows had really sprung with wildflowers. How lucky were we! I have to wonder if the meadows were even more spectacular a little later but I feel like we hit prime. Once again the video link is in the trip report below the photoset but the video is mostly pictures mixed with classical music - https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50935
Once we got out and to the KOA we hooked up with Bill, Jim and McKenzie - fellow chatters. That was so great and I would like to thank Bill in helping us set up our shuttle Sunday nite at SCurrent and then getting us to St Mary VC the next morning. And also to Jim and McKenzie for storing our food while we were gone.

The last thing I was curious about is where the old Cut Bank Chalet actually was. I read after we got back that a mile into the hike there is a road that went over to the Chalet so if anyone is hiking that trail, take a look-see. And of course, I got the Rx bug but really couldn't find much on that Chalet but also read about the St Mary Chalet which I didn't even know existed. Now it sounds like a person can find the old foundations if one knows where to look. https://books.google.com/books?id=wHikt ... et&f=false
Info about the Chalets: A Room With A View
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Once again, thanks to Tina for helping with the permit on this itinerary in Cut Bank.
You are very welcome. I'm glad that the permit exchange worked out! I still want to get there myself one of these summers.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

I would like to thank Bill in helping us set up our shuttle Sunday nite
You are welcome. It was great to meet you and Wendy. I am enjoying your pictures as i get a chance to look at them. I have not gotten to labeling mine yet.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Monday, July 30th to the Chalet via the Highline Trail. This reservation I made way back in March I think but I'm not sure. I just thot I would take a look at the reservation page and by gosh if there wasn't one opening so I grabbed it; I didn't even have anyone to hike with at that time. I also asked them if I could get another nite on either side to let me know.... and on June 15th, I got that too and by that time I had a hiking mate.

This was also the day I was to finally get my America the Beautiful Pass, the only good reason to turn 62, ha! Wendy and I had planned this hike for our 2011 Chalet stay but the trail wasn't even open yet on July 24th. We snapped this picture on our way to The Loop https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ID=210682. Anyway, today we were the butterflies between the cocoons. Wendy came up with that saying about 3/4 the way to Haystack Butte. We also ran into Sue as you round that corner with the first good far away view of The Chalet. And in fact, our room would be right next to hers in the Chalet. How cool was that?! Here is the link to the photoset and trip report. The trip report has the video links at the bottom: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=50979

I do love the Highline Trail; it really delivers in so many ways. And today it would be quite a bit different from when I hiked it July 20, 2010 when we had to cross nearly 20 snowfields. Here is the photoset and trip report from the 2010 trip: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=12053.

Tuesday, July 31st Swiftcurrent Lookout. I had seen the video that EnjoyYourParks had posted from up there so I knew that I probably would not be able to do both the Grinnell Overlook and the Lookout so I chose the Lookout and wow, was that something else. Once I got the mileage and elevation gain straight in my head, I was very excited about this hike. Don't you just love it when a hike lives up to its billing. This one did just like Triple Divide Pass. And we were lucky that the weather was nearly perfect and other than the smoke, it was another Glacier moment I'm so glad I got to enjoy.

Once again, my trip report and photoset is at this link with the video links contained at the bottom of the trip report: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=51012 If you check out the link you will understand why I use the link rather than post my report and pictures on here. They call me the Tibbernarian as I document my trips pretty thoroughly (like on the photos I will include research and links to it). I did a lot on the fires.

PS: Oh, one of my fellow HAZers did the hike to Fifty Mountain Campsite from Packers Roost and they did the Sue Lake Overlook too. Here is the link to her photo set and trip report if anyone is interested: https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=51004 She's also done work as a volunteer in the Bob Marshall Wilderness just like Wendy did this year.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Damn your trip reports are dense (in a good way). I've finally made it through ATL. Great so far.

Jay
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Okay, I finally got all the rest of the reports ready to go. I've been doing some Arizona Trail hiking up around Flagstaff and work event in-between so I had to do those reports and video plus find a new stabilizer platform for my video. Once again the links provide the photos, trip report and links to the videos. My poor friend Wendy's butt is featured a lot but when I hike, I just aim the camera and keep my eye on the trail... well Wendy is on the trail. I do like having people in the video though as it provides better scale and perspective when you're hiking in such lofty scenery. And that's why in this collage Top Center you'll know what she means when she posed at the Logan Pass sign: https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=719512

Let's see, where was I. Oh yes, still at the Chalet.
Wednesday, August 1st it was time to get back down the mountain and we would go via the Swiftcurrent Trail. I was still sniffeling but thx to glacierchatter Sue's pharmacy, I was able to at least breathe pretty well.
Wendy and me went down this trail with her husband and two other gals on July 25, 2011 and it was covered in snow until the switchbacks. It was quite the adventure for us https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=16710&start=15. This time, it was easy peasy. The smoke was still in the air so that was annoying. It wasn't thick but it just messed with the photography a bit. Our coincidences continued too. And at the bottom, after the huckleberry lager, the Huckleberry Smoothie at the Scurrent Inn was so unbelievably good; so many berries. And later when we got back we got to meet up with Bill, Jim, McKenzie, Tara and her daughter for dinner at Johnson's.
Thursday, August 2nd was our day off but it started with a piece of Huckleberry Pie we had picked up the night before from Two Sisters. You can never have a bad day when it starts with huckleberry pie :D ... and especially if it finishes with a t-bone steak dinner at the Cattle Baron Club. By the way we took the shore drive over to Babb. It's decent road and you get to cross the raging Swiftcurrent Creek. Oh, we did do the KOA Nature Trail which surprisingly is not easy to follow. https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=51281
Friday, August 3rd Here is the last day with Bill, Jim, McKenzie and I don't remember the other hiker's name (I apologize as I really enjoyed her company) to Upper Two Medicine via the North Shore Trail with a detour to Twin Falls:
https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=51285. Once again the photosets have trip reports with the them and video links. Oh, we got to see a little bear cub climb a tree and I did manage to get a photo or two (only one in the photoset but additional in video one).

And yes, the coincidences continued when we got to East Glacier on our drive to Kalispell; isn't that right Sue.

Last but not least, thanks so much for this website as it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of Glacier Park. I've been coming back for 15 of the last 18 years I think and that's quite a haul from Phx. But I was raised in Montana and my parents have been coming here since 1953 and my Grandfather in 1926 with his brood. This year it was particularly nice because I met up with the chatters. And one of the chatters makes chocolate cookies to die for, OMG! I so hope I can hook up with some of you next year even though I don't know if I'm coming next year. I really need to try another park or something. Was considering Iceland but darn that's cold even in summer.

Oh, I have a PS. While doing my Rx I came across this great article at summitpost.org https://www.summitpost.org/centennial-s ... ments_logs. We often talk about trail construction and horse trails had so much to do with that.

Happy Trails,
Angela
Last edited by tibber on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Thanks for the report. I am enjoying your commentary and pictures.

I enjoyed hiking with you. I agree, it is great to meet other chatters.

The other hiker on our last day was Nina.

Bill
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks for your trip report, Tibber. I was in the park around the same time, although most of the time I was backpacking. I guess that I should get around to posting a TR but I doubt it will be as detailed as yours :lol:
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

paul wrote:Thanks for your trip report, Tibber. I was in the park around the same time, although most of the time I was backpacking. I guess that I should get around to posting a TR but I doubt it will be as detailed as yours :lol:
I'm anxious to hear how your trip went.

I get carried away with the details; it's genetic as my mom kept somewhat detailed journals of her world travels and I'm glad she did; Especially now as I'm trying to go through all the slides and figure out what is what so that I can eventually get everything together for future generations to enjoy... and they also took movies. Like I said, it's genetic. :lol:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Apologies. I'm only up to Aug 1st on the report, but the flower pics are excellent. You have quite the flower knowledge. I think the overcast light helped the pics. Some real intense color.

Jay

Return to “Trip Reports”