A bartender's guide to Glacier

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

A bartender's guide to Glacier

Post by Jay w »

The bartender’s guide to Glacier

Preamble

The 2018 edition of the Tour of Glacier started with no drama. Yeah, I know, how weird, eh? In the past, it seems leaving town was more like a prison break rather than pushing a boat off the dock. The only catch this year, a minor one, was that we were leaving on Julie’s last day of work (for the summer). We were hoping that everything at work went smooth, because if she didn’t get off work….well, no woman no drive.

Gettin’ ready for the trip.

We haven’t been back to Glacier since 2015 for me, and I believe it’s 2013 for Julie (and I together). In 2016, Julie and I toured Yellowstone, but last year, I was busy at work, so our summer vacation was five days in northern Minnesota, if Minnesota counts as vacation. It is with little guilt that I asked for three weeks of vacation this year. The reaction at work? “Damn, I was going to have my bunion surgery.”

6/16/18 Ask the Lawyers
---------------------------------

We took the normal route out West with the normal time schedule, i.e., an overnight at Mom’s, a long first day to Harve, MT, and then a short second day to Many Glacier. It looked like the weather was going to be terrible, which is a good thing if you want a spot at Many Glacier and a good thing for photography; it’s a bad thing if you like to hike without a rain jacket.

The clouds in North Dakota showed the signs of weather to come. Yeah, interesting clouds and then the rain came.

Photos by Julie.

When we checked into the Siesta Motel in Havre, the guy apologized that he was only the owner’s father, and called the owner to get our room rate. Later, when we talked to the owner, she said, “That sounds like him, he built the place.”

We ended up at a bar on top of the hill (Murphy’s Irish Pub) for a club sandwich and a local ale beer. I said to the waitress that the beer didn’t taste at all like an ale and it seemed more like a wheat beer. “This beer has a pale golden color, is unfiltered, has an overtone of banana ester and clove-like phenols and low bitterness.” She looked at the light color and brought us the correct beer. Even though I didn’t drink more than a few sips of the first beer, I was having a grand time laughing and cracking jokes and Julie asked if I was drunk. I was in a good mood.

A good mood with the wrong beer.

The right beer and an even better mood. I’m joking (of course) about esters and phenols, but we enjoyed the meal and the local brews. I wish I would have written down the specifics.

Again, photos by Julie.

Back at the room, I wandered over to the elevators for some pictures. Havre has some funky old grain elevators (or at least that’s what I call them), but unfortunately, they’re located right next to a BNSF locomotive repair facility. As I was wandering around, a train employee was telling me I couldn’t take any pictures. I asked, “Why?” He said, “You can’t take any pictures.” I said, “No, I asked why.” He said, “Ask the lawyers.” I just about said, I am a lawyer, but instead, I walked away and took a few more pictures when he wasn’t looking.

There was a guy riding his bike to Bemidji, MN. I didn’t talk with the other group (bikes pictured), but they all took off about the same time the next morning.

Grain silos and separator.

The buildings near the train tracks. Can you say funky?

A west side of the building in the previous photo.

More structures near the tracks.

The next morning, I returned, and again an employee approached me and said, “This is private property.” I simply looked at him, and he said, “You can’t come on the tracks.” I responded, “I can stay off the tracks.” My goal was not to go on the tracks, but to photograph the funky sh!t 50 feet from the tracks.

Steps for the day: 4283

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: A bartender's guide to Glacier

Post by teapot57 »

Vehicle looks all ready to be covered with dead bugs. :D

Looking forward to reading more! Great photos- especially that first one of the clouds.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Well I was raised in Havre and was real good friends with the Bachinis that used to own the Siesta Motel. In fact, back in the very late 60s/early 70s, I helped out many times before we could go horseback riding or whatever other activity we had going on. Where was I when the astronauts landed on the moon? I was at their house which was across the street where the switchboard also was.

I also spent many hours at the grain elevators during harvest as my dad was a farmer north of town.

And last, when I was there in 2015 I had the best ever Bloody Mary at Murphy's. Well mostly for all the food they added to it, ha!

Anyway, I'm obviously already liking your story and am looking forward to the rest.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Teapot. The bugs weren't so bad this year. We've driven down by Choteau and had a layer of bug armor that lasted years. I let Julie know you liked her picture.

Tibber. Wow. Havre and in particular, the Siesta Motel has been our stop for years. Old, but clean and not a franchise. Grain elevators and Murphy's, enjoyed them both. We haven't ventured much around town (the DQ) since we usually arrive late and tired.

Good town.

Jay
PJ

Post by PJ »

What a great start to a trip report! I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

A few more of the Siesta for Tibber.

Photos (above) by Julie.

Jay
Last edited by Jay w on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

6/17/18 Many Glacier: “I’m not staying here for two weeks”
----------------------------------------
Back to the same train tracks for more photos.

Near the motel.

It is with great anticipation and some trepidation that we drove into Many Glacier. Pete was going to arrive on Friday and share a site with us for the weekend. That way, we didn’t have to worry about racing to Many Glacier and stabbing anyone who got in way of securing a campsite. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a text from Pete saying, “If you see a better site, grab it.” (We have T-Mobile.) At Many Glacier, we found Pete’s truck, but no Pete. Julie looked at his site, and quickly figured out "someone" would have to tent in the driveway. She said, “I’m not staying here for two weeks,” and she proceeded to find a great site about four spots down. The reason we found a spot, is it rained cats and dogs the previous day and people were streaming out of the campground. Also, the forecast was for 40 days of more rain, and not occasional showers, but a “100% chance of rain.” In fairness to Pete, he grabbed “the best of the rest.”

As we set up camp, Pete arrived (after breakfast), and we chatted away leaving hardly any room for Julie to get in a word. Julie got tired of our yammering, or as she said, you two are like a couple of high school girls. She suggested we take a hike, so we headed for Red Rock Falls. Of course the talking didn’t stop during the hike, so I didn’t think about photography until we got to Red Rock Falls. “Well, I better take a couple photos,” which we did and then headed back to camp.

Hike: 1
Photos: 2
Moose: 0
Griz: 0
Orangutans: 0
Wildebeests: 0
Giraffes: 0
Steps: 21,661

It’s hard to describe how great it feels to be standing here on the way into Many Glacier for the first night of camping….provided you know you’re getting a campsite.

If you don’t know you’re getting a campsite, there is no time to stand here and take a photo.

Here’s a couple from Red Rock Falls.

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

6/18/18 Mon, Many Glacier: Hanging at the Hotel

The forecast was right. Rain. 100% chance. We decided to head for the Many Glacier Hotel and we arrived a bit before the lobby started filling. We meaning Julie, Pete and I. The semi-early start meant we got a good seat by the windows so we could watch the weather. In between the waves of rain, I tried to venture out for some photos, and later some videos.

I was completely blow away by the spiral staircase. It’s a remarkable work of art and I think Pete knows the carpenter (plural?) that built it. First, it’s really difficult to picture how someone accurately curves wood for a handrailing and second, it was beautiful wood with an excellent finish. I’ll admit that Julie first walked around the hotel and showed me great photos she captured. So I was walking around copying her ideas.

At points, the rain let up and I’d wander outside while Pete and Julie were reading inside. There was a painting class that set up easels outside and it was interesting to see their progress. I also wandered out and said hello to the horses, Gilligan and Clyde. It was a miserable day for them, standing the rain, but I wonder if they got a good walk up to Cracker Flats to stretch their legs and soften up the trail for hikers. (Aka postholing, grin.)

When you’re shooting video, you have only a couple choices: zoom, pan, or hold the camera steady. With a Go-Pro, there’s no zoom, so you either move the mountain, or don’t move the mountain.

Runs 2:57. It’s a bit slow moving, kind of like church in Glacier.

Meanwhile, the hotel employees put on a talent show while the roof was leaking and a few scattered buckets caught the rain. Pete, Julie and I decided to play some three handed cribbage, and I think we had an advantage on Pete. We play the game often, but for Pete, he hadn’t played since the Navy.

Idea ripped off from Julie.

Ok, this one’s mine.

Me.

Julie.

Maybe I shouldn’t claim this one.

Some days are better than others when you’re a horse

Saying hi to the boys.

Wet? Why yes.

Steps: 11,912

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

6/19/18 Tue, Iceberg Lake

Ok, I just loaded and unloaded 20 bundles of shingles in the rain. I see two or three people clicked through my humor video from Many Glacier. Hope you enjoyed.

Jay Must Hike (from John Prine’s Elephant Boy)

The man in the cube isn’t really doing so hot
Said the cubical man to old big shot
He’s dying on the edge of the great Midwest
The man must hike or forever rest

Hey look ma
Here comes the camera boy
In an Outback car with his Julie Joy
Headed to trails the horse destroy
From the jungles of East St. Paul

His manager sat in the office alone
Staring at the numbers on his new cell phone
Wondering how a man without a lawn tractor
Would visit the land of the wind chill factor

Hey look ma

It rained a lot the first day stunk
The beer was good and they got drunk
Hikers chased badgers, the bear and the moose
He saw four goslings but not a goose

Hey look ma

Sunglasses
This is leg one of the big three. Also known as the Bergie McBergface hike.

So Pete and I had a conversation about whether to hike and which hike to do. He was unsure about venturing out due to the rain. I was heading out regardless. (See above.) I was pretty sure the rain would let up enough that we’d be able to shoot photos, and if it rains, that’s why we have rain jackets. As I’m standing under the clouds with sunglasses on, Pete asks, “Are you wearing sunglasses?” With a hint of a grin, I say, “I have a positive attitude.” To Julie, Pete says, “I can never tell if this guy is serious.”

Don’t come home drinkin’ with lovin’ on your mind
That’s such a great song title, I had to work it in somewhere (Loretta Lynn). Julie bid us adieu and as it ended up, we never really needed the rain jackets. The day tended to get a bit better as the day wore on.

Pete was worried about slowing me up, but right off the bat I was stopping the hike to take pictures of wet rocks.

Candid Pete.

Pretty strong flow on the flow meter.

My boot shot.

I could spend hours shooting this spot.

More Pete.

We took a little detour up on the rock pile, which gives a different perspective to Iceberg Lake.

One with the Nikkor 105, a lens I got in the 70’s and it still works well.

What did Johnny say, the edge of wetness?

A bit different look at Iceberg. (Thank the clouds.)

Snap, more wet rocks.

Steps: 26,843
Dist: 11.38 mi
Elapsed time: 6:22:07
Moving time: 3:49:27
Av HR: 77 bpm
Av moving pace: 20:10 min/mi
etc

I collected data for this hike on a Garmin watch, but since my phone doesn’t have connection in Glacier, it was the last hike that I collected data. (The watch needed to store basic data for two weeks, and I didn’t want to run out of memory.)

The Cosmo
Ok, I better live up to the title of this trip report. The first drink up is the Cosmo.

The recipe I used was vodka, about a quarter to a third of the vodka volume with Triple Sec (sugar water), a squirt of lime, and cranberry juice for color.

Contreau (in the picture) has an orange taste, and I have yet to try that. The secret to the Cosmo is getting in enough lime juice to kill the “this is straight booze” taste, but not some much it’s like a margarita. For vodka, we used:

…since it was on sale. Although I don’t think it matters for the taste if you use really good vodka or Lewis and Clark. If you want to spice it up, use some blood orange vodka. [valley girl]Oh…my…good that’s good.[/valley girl]

Which reminds me of a story.

We were on our way to Glacier one year and we pulled into Browning and filled the tank. We discussed if we have enough alcohol and decided to buy a bottle of vodka for vodka tonics and went to the liquor store. There was one car in the lot, so we figured it was open. I got out and started walking to the door by the car and guy came across the lot and said, no, follow me. He went in the front door and entered a dark porch with a couple of teller’s windows. The store had just opened at 8 am. The door slide open and behind the barrier came a voice, “You want the normal Jim?” “Yeah.” Money and booze exchanged hands. Sheepishly, I said,
“I’d like a bottle vodka.”
“Large or small.”
“Eh……large.”
“9.85.”
I handed money and through the opening came a quart of Lewis and Clark vodka. I walked out and wondered what the hell just happened.

Jay
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

okay. I liked the pic of the white horse with the prints in the mud, the Moose view, and I liked that different view from the rock pile at Iceberg Lake. I also like candid people shots and you got a couple good ones of Pete.

And who doesn't like pics of wet Glacier rocks? Where else do you get the diversity of rock colors? I saw someone label one of their rock pictures, "the color of Glacier Park"; that always stuck with me.

As to the VID, I liked watching the fisherman, he got a pretty long cast. And I like some of the angles you took.

I always use Cointreau in my margaritas instead of Triple Sec. Besides I can get a big bottle for real cheap at the Mexican border. I think Triple Sec doesn't have the best after taste. Altho I have to say my batch of margaritas this weekend had a little too much Cointreau so we ended up sipping them instead of drinking them :D . I don't generally make cosmos. Another nice substitute for Triple Sec is Grand Marnier.

My most prized cocktail is the Hucktini.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I enjoy getting the feedback, both pos and neg. Most of the time, people see different things in pics than I and like different pics (to a certain extent) than I. So it's interesting to hear the opinions.

In the video, I was laughing about moving the mountain or not moving the mountain (pan). The bird jumping from branch to branch was interesting to watch in person, but the camera is SO wide angle, it's hardly noticeable in the video.

I hadn't heard of Contreau before this trip, but I have a bottle now. I'm still working on a good margaretta, and have used the Contreau in versions (and Grand Marnier gets used a lot in other drinks), but I haven't hit a Margaretta recipe I'm happy with.

Time to eat.

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

6/20/18 Wed, Cracker Lake. Did you see my shoes?

Number 2 of the big 3.

With radar indicated sun, this looked to be a good day for a hike. Julie dropped me off and she went to take a few photos of the postholers.

Postholer

Ok, who’s copying who? (Grin) A rare one where Julie took my idea.

As you might guess, the trail was muddy. Often I was walking with my left boot on the left side of the trail and my right boot on the right. At one point, my right boot slipped left since I was trying to walk on the angled trail on the right side of the trail. I went down in a heartbeat. The landing was no problem with a normal shoulder, but two weeks earlier, I had a rollerski crash that left me with a bad shoulder.

Rollerski crash.

As of August, that shoulder is still in the healing process. I got up, took a few steps, and went down again in the exact say way. I said to myself, “My God, you really do have a drinking problem. I can’t even recall the morning beers.” In hindsight, I don’t think I did any more damage to the shoulder, but at the moment, I was worried. As my buddy would say, “Walk if off man.”

In the open sections, the mud wasn’t bad and the view opens up, but there are not many openings on this trail.

I got up to the Allen Creek stream crossing that would be no problem during the summer or fall…maybe I should say autumn. I came over a rise and a woman started yelling at me from the other side. “Did you see my shoes?” She was yelling at me like I did something wrong, so I was confused. Also, this little stream was loud. “Where would they be?” “Right there, do you see my shoes?” She was….well, hysterical. “No, I don’t see any shoes.”

Allen Creek crossing, looking downhill.

I took off my boots and held them on hand as I crossed the stream. With my tender feet, I was regretting that I didn’t tie my boots to the pack so I’d have both hands free to use the poles. It was only a few steps to the log bridge, so everything worked out.

The woman said that she tied her shoes to her pack and when she got to the other side, her shoes were gone. I said that I’d put on my boots and look a bit downstream since the shoes might have fallen in the water. That would be tough because of the vegetation along the banks. I put on my boots and the woman said, “This is very unfortunate,” and crossed back to the downhill side while looking around for her shoes. I started looking downstream and she was gone, walking back to the trailhead in her socks. She never looked back and I never found any shoes.

Soon after the stream, I ran into a couple heading downhill. I asked if they had any extra shoes and they said yes. I told them the story and they informed me they couldn’t find the trail on the other side of the next stream crossing. Hmmm.

Pie for strength in Canyon Creek.

The Canyon Creek crossing. It doesn’t look like a good time to climb Wynn (although I’ve never done it). A lot of water was running down that drainage on the right.

In front of me was a young woman with a DSLR camera hanging from her neck and she was heading for the backcounty site. She was going to walk across the log in the stream without putting her camera in the pack. She took a step on the log and then decided to cross in the stream. Damn, I was nervous as hell for her and that camera.

For my crossing, I took off my boots and tied them well to my pack. I was fairly slow getting across the stream and a guy coming down was waiting for me. After me was another guy that started to cross and the guy on the other side made it VERY clear that he was next. (I thought he was yelling at me.) His type A personality took no time to get across the stream since he didn’t take off his shoes, but neither did the guy following me. Oh, the entertainment never ends in Glaicer. I’ve learned that my boots take a very long time under a hand drier to dry, so there was no way I was leaving them on. If you don’t dry them immediately, they stink like hell. Pictured is yet one more pair of hikers crossing the high flow.

I lost a tripod foot (spike) for my new tripod. I really like how solid and light this new tripod is, but I’ll need to use locktite on the threads to hold the feet in place. So on the way down, I talked with a few people and asked them to keep an eye open for a metal tripod foot. I also kept getting updates on the progress of barefoot woman (well, with socks) was making back to the postholer corral. I found she did make it back to the trailhead, and I can’t imagine getting my tender feet back without some damage.

Above the Canyon stream crossing.

Looking up from Allen creek crossing.

Steps: 35,590

Today’s drink

With an ABV of 4.8 and IBU of 29, this is an easy drinking beer for almost any occasion. As the beer connoisseur says:
The Lonely Blonde wears a delicate fragrance of German noble hops, and slips a touch of white wheat between American pale and crystal malts for a smooth, sensuous body, fair complexion, and a pleasantly lacy white head.

I was introduced to the beer by friends on the Fulton XC Ski Team and our 12 pack was gone pretty quickly. Yeah, the brewery sponsors a ski team. They also sponsor a midweek ski race that is better attended than many weekend races, mainly for the after race free beer. Yeah, free beer, it happens.

Jay

Back to the roof for more roofing.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I really like reading your trip reports, Jay. So amusing! I can’t imagine that poor woman walking back through the mud and slop with no shoes.

Dang- that arm looks painful.

“Oh, the entertainment never ends in Glacier.”

Yes, I agree with this statement. Jen and I stayed a good hour in the Swiftcurrent Lobby one morning listening to all the questions people were asking the poor man behind the check-in counter. He had the patience of a saint. Jen didn’t want to leave the couch because she was so amused by all of the people watching. My favorite was when a couple came to the counter all shocked and put out to learn that the Iceberg Lake Trail was closed for bears (it had been for days). They told the desk staff, “Well, we saw a bear on the road while driving in!”, as if it might be the same bear that was causing the closure, so in their minds, maybe the trail could be opened back up. The man at the desk just smiled and said, “Oh, that’s nice.”
Last edited by teapot57 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

Teapot, Just a funny note about your take on the bear being on the road into Many Glacier. You took it totally different than I did. I thought they meant there was a bear on the road on the way in and the road wasn't closed, so why was the trail closed because of a bear! I guess either way, it is still funny. :P
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay w wrote:In front of me was a young woman with a DSLR camera hanging from her neck and she was heading for the backcounty site. She was going to walk across the log in the stream without putting her camera in the pack. She took a step on the log and then decided to cross in the stream. Damn, I was nervous as hell for her and that camera.
Yeah, people watching in Glacier Park is a lot of fun. :mrgreen:
I've had more than one person approach me out on a trail and ask, "Do you know where this trail goes?"

I loved George Carlin 8)
Look at it this way: Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin

pete :wink:

PS
You never told me about that Cracker Lake hike or showed me that arm. :(
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Trip Reports”