Any Gunsight/Sperry Report?

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Any Gunsight/Sperry Report?

Post by llholmes1948 »

I do my best to keep up but I sometimes get behind in reading trip reports. However I don't recall seeing any report yet of a hike to Sperry chalet area, Sperry Campground, Sperry Glacier or Gunsight Pass or lake. Has anyone hiked or camped there this summer and if so, what can they tell us about the condition of the trail, Sperry dining room, status of rebuilding the chalet, etc.?

Thanks,
Lyman
orin

Re: Any Gunsight/Sperry Report?

Post by orin »

Lyman,

I don't think you've gotten behind on your reading but the Sperry area has been almost impossible to get to this year. Earlier in the summer there were some restrictions due to the construction. Since the Howe Ridge fire started the whole area is closed. You can't get to trailhead on the west because the road is closed. From the east you can still camp at Gunsight and Ellen Wilson but the trail from there to Sperry is closed.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Orin,

Thanks for that information. I wonder if anyone on the Chat managed to hike there or through there earlier in the summer but maybe not likely.

Lyman
Badgerhiker
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Badgerhiker »

I hiked the Gunsight pass trail Aug 1, a week and a half before the Howe Ridge fire started. The area around the chalet is roped off so you can't get very close to the building. The area around the chalet is covered with building supplies. The dinning hall was open and two women were working there. They had pitchers of lemonade for a small donation and two hikers were eating fresh grilled cheese sandwiches when I walked in. These were the best grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever smelled by the way! It looked like the worker tents had wood platforms with canvas sides but i didn't look very closely. The hike down was open and hot but the couple I was hiking with was encouraged by the number of living trees that would reseed the area. The day we did this hike was the first day the Sperry campground was opened for backpackers. We met some hot tired people on the way up from Lake McDonald. Here's a quick picture I snapped of the chalet.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Badgerhiker,

Thanks very much for your report. Looks like progress is being made and things are greening up there. I take it that you did not encounter many hikers on this hike.

Lyman

Return to “Trip Reports”