Sleeping Bag paciking

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Sleeping Bag paciking

Post by llholmes1948 »

Here is a question that I have never given much thought to before. Perhaps that means that it is not a worthy question but here goes:

When you are stuffing a sleeping bag in a stuff sack, should you pack the sleeping bag zippered or unzippered? Is there a recommendation?

For years I think I have stuffed my sleeping bag in the stuff sack with the lower half zipped up and the upper portion unzipped. I got wondering recently if packing the sleeping bag zipped up (entirely or partially) might put too much pressure on the zipper and cause it to break, although that is never happened to me. I don't recall ever seeing a recommendation on this and am wondering if my practice is correct or not.

Thanks,
Lyman
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Sleeping Bag paciking

Post by orin »

I have never seen a recommendation. All I know is that I pay no attention to the zipper and have never had a problem. I suppose that the zipper is about a third zipped most of the time.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Sue Z »

Same. I keep the bottom zipped so I don't have to start the zipper again. Zipping it up all the way seems to make it harder to stuff - less flexibility.
Sue Z
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

Some sleeping bag manufactures recommend that the sleeping bag be turned inside out before stuffing. My wife's REI bag has this recommendation on the stuff sack that came with the bag. My REI bag does not have this recommendation. For what it's worth I always zip up my bag before stuffing and stuff foot end first -- seems to be easier to stuff that way.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”