Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Post by calicotraveler »

I always use them while trekking. Great help and I feel something is missing if I try to hike without them.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Goat
Gender?: Male

Post by Goat »

I use one pole when backpacking, but mainly because it's also my tent pole (MLD duomid). I tried 2 poles once, and didn't like that at all; 2 poles really slowed me down, especially on the downhills. I also think that training with a pole noticeably decreases my speed, agility & balance, so I tend to do my dayhikes/training hikes without a pole. A pole does come in handy for things like crossing streams, digging catholes, and so forth.

My two cents anyway.

Goat
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

100% worth the hassle.

I never used them until I hiked while pregnant (needed them for balance), then carrying kids on my back. At first, my motivation was burning more calories from pregnancy. Well, also to keep my balance going on steep trails with rocks.

My kids no longer ride on my back, but I would not hike even a short, flat hike without them.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Yes, hiking sticks help me a lot, especially going downhill.
I sure wish I had both of mine with me today instead of just one.
I always take one thank God!
The Mt. Brown lookout trail is the toughest hike I've done in a long time.
In hind sight A "Two Stick" trail for sure. imo.
You'll see why when I post a few pics and video later tonight---if I can stay conscious 8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Well....
I think this video from my Reynolds Mt climb July 2017 is good example of why trekking poles might be a good idea. 8)
The clip is also a very good reminder of why they put those "loop things" on the handles. :arrow:

The video is the beginning of the traverse around the south face of Reynolds Mt after the Great Cleft traverse of the North face(faces Visitor Center).
Begins where the photo below was taken, and is arguably the scariest part of the Grand Tour route--at least for me.
Very steep, long drop to your left. The trail is narrow and somewhat sloped with loose stuff on hard rock underneath.
And the whole mountain is that "crappy rock" that GNP is known for.

Runs about 6:52 (The impatient should skip to about 3:00)

PS
Many Thanks again to EarMountain
An Awesome day Ralph :D

The "spur ridge" below runs out to the south, then turns east.
You can see just a bit of Mt Jackson in the far upper right with Fussilade in front of it with the Twin Lakes far below.
Part of the Jackson-Blackfoot Glacier complex is seen to the left of Fussilade.
During the Reynolds fire, I hiked out that spur ridge to where the short cliff/ledges begin. Took my sticks that day too
8)

George Carlin
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

Jeepers! Nice relaxing video to watch over my morning coffee! Feels like I drank 3 cups instead of one. Just wondering: Did you take the same route on the descent?

I rely heavily on two poles - for stability, for boosting myself up and for letting myself down easy. One quirky exception: When on a narrow ledge or super steep sidehill, I only plant the outside (downhill) pole. It feels like if I use the inside pole, I might push myself off the mountain!

Silly observation: Those snow fields in your photo remind me of Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-wack ... 17026.html
Sue Z
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Sue Z wrote:Jeepers! Nice relaxing video to watch over my morning coffee! Feels like I drank 3 cups instead of one. Just wondering: Did you take the same route on the descent?

Hi Sue :) Yeah, a bit of a rush for me too! LOL
We didn't go back that way. The "Grand Tour" is one of 4 routes listed in most books.
Grand Tour in that it's the only one that "circumnavigates" the entire mountain.

I rely heavily on two poles - for stability, for boosting myself up and for letting myself down easy. One quirky exception: When on a narrow ledge or super steep sidehill, I only plant the outside (downhill) pole. It feels like if I use the inside pole, I might push myself off the mountain!

Depending on the hike, I usually just use one pole because I like to have a hand free for my camera.
Stash the second pole in my pack just in case I need it.
Yeah, you have to watch against "pushing off" like that. You might push yourself all the way off :(

I dropped my inside stick because I like using my "inside hand" for hand holds when it gets really narrow.
Sometimes, putting a stick away is just too awkward/time consuming.
Most of the time I can just let go of the stick while I get hand holds. NOT ALWAYS though.
My rule is:there is no rule. Do what is necessary or required for safety.
That day I just "instinctively" let go of my stick to get a hand hold on that rock outcrop and OOOPS, didn't have my hand through the loop. :evil:
Bad mistake.

Ralph did remind me about another mistake that newbies like me tend to make---
"leaning into the mountain"
Sometimes on a narrow dicey trail, you might find yourself "leaning into the mountain" when you have a steep drop off---similar to the situation in the video.
Leaning puts your center of mass away from where it should be---over your hips, legs, and feet.
That imbalance, especially on a scree covered path that slopes toward the abyss, may cause your feet to go right out from under you towards the drop off.
:(

Silly observation: Those snow fields in your photo remind me of Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-wack ... 17026.html

Hehehehe. I look like "Tubeman" on a dance floor :arrow:

Alls well that ends well. We got to the top :mrgreen:
Awesome views in every direction. Looking west here, the Dragon's Tail is below me to my right. Edwards and Mt Brown in the distance.
The closer water is the head of Hidden Lake. Lake McDonald in the distance

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

PeteE wrote:Awesome views in every direction. Looking west here, the Dragon's Tail is below me to my right. Edwards and Mt Brown in the distance.
The closer water is the head of Hidden Lake. Lake McDonald in the distance

And don't forget the nifty little peak known as the Little Matterhorn. It's in between Edwards and Brown.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Trying to forget yesterday's BC campsite fiasco.... 8)
I thought I'd revive the topic of "trekking poles" with a request for information on the trekking pole pictured below.
"Boss Lady" frequents the Goodwill Store and found this trekking pole and thought I'd like to have it.
Can anyone make out, what is presumably the name of the maker, the word above "MADE IN GERMANY"?
I like the stick and intend on using it after treating the leather. It's dried out and the strap is cracking.
Perfect length as it happens too--about 127cm :)

Thanks

PS

For those who care about such things :)
It does have what appears to be a carbide tip embedded in the stainless steel business end.
However, it's well worn, and so it probably won't "hurt" the rocks too awfully bad.
8)
Yeeeeeehawwwwww!!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Is that the name of the maker?

The lacing is clearly hand sewn

George Carlin
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I can't read it either. Be careful to keep it away from the critters. My poles are made of nylon, foam, plastic and aluminum and have been well chewed by deer and marmots. They would go crazy with a delicacy like real leather.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

orin wrote:I can't read it either. Be careful to keep it away from the critters. My poles are made of nylon, foam, plastic and aluminum and have been well chewed by deer and marmots. They would go crazy with a delicacy like real leather.
As Orin says, best to guard that nice pole from critters...and I would add especially up at Grinnell Glacier Overlook, right Pete?! :lol: Crafty quick ones, those Marmots!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

orin wrote:I can't read it either. Be careful to keep it away from the critters. My poles are made of nylon, foam, plastic and aluminum and have been well chewed by deer and marmots. They would go crazy with a delicacy like real leather.
Hey Orin :)
Yeah, I have a habit of leaving my sticks lay around for marmots, goats, and squirrels, or dropping one off some mountainside, or leaving them by a stream out near UPK, or in ND's(Ken's) van.
You really don't want to know what I've spent on hiking sticks.
And so as of last weekend I'm down to these two "mismatched" sticks--a blue Leki and a purple Black Diamond
8)

TnTammy wrote: As Orin says, best to guard that nice pole from critters...and I would add especially up at Grinnell Glacier Overlook, right Pete?! :lol: Crafty quick ones, those Marmots!
OH MY!
LOLOLOLOL :mrgreen:

Circa July 2012
You mean that marmot?
8)

And my sticks there above Michael ?

Good thing that, once again, I had great hiking partners looking out for me! :arrow:

Thanks Tammy and Mike. :D

You guys have a good time this year in the Sawtooths!
I'll be up at Grinnell overlook again in September. I have 3 nights at Granite Park Chalet. Gonna try to get to Grinnell Mt peak and Iceberg Notch.

Cheers!

PS

You and Mike remember this monster mule deer? For those who don't know...
This was July 27th. This mule deer buck had another month to grow his antlers!!
I would have loved to have seen him in September. 8)

unedited 25 seconds

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Great looking trekking pole! I'm sure you will put it to good use.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Thanks Tammy and Mike. :D
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/810/40150 ... 8d65_b.jpg[/

Such Fun that trip Pete!! We packed in a lot and great times with you!

You guys have a good time this year in the Sawtooths!
I'll be up at Grinnell overlook again in September. I have 3 nights at Granite Park Chalet. Gonna try to get to Grinnell Mt peak and Iceberg Notch.

Thanks Pete, we’re excited to seek out the new. Kind Chatter friend Daschmit shared a bunch about Idaho so we’ve got lots to investigate.
Huge smile that you are headed back to Granite Park and jealous of your plans. Grinnell Mtn will be awesome! And as for Iceberg Notch, When we stood this summer at the creek looking up at Ahern Pass, it was just beautiful. I’ll be cheering for you getting to overlook Helen (a 2nd time, right) and going for the Notch. :arrow: Don’t forget extra good ear plugs for those Granite Park nights. :wink:

Cheers!

PS

You and Mike remember this monster mule deer? For those who don't know...
This was July 27th. This mule deer buck had another month to grow his antlers!!
I would have loved to have seen him in September. 8)

unedited 25 seconds
[/quote]
He was a Big Boy!! And so close to us up there at Swiftcurrent Pass. We sure had a glorious day on that descent back to Many.
daschmit

Post by daschmit »

Hikers who use trekking poles know from their own experience that trekking poles increase stability and reduce lower body joint stress. I ran across a study that you guys might be interested in, one that quantified the degree to which trekking poles improve hiking efficiency.

Participants “completed two hiking trials on consecutive days. Each athlete was randomly assigned to one of two groups. Group 1 acted as the control group and completed both trials without poles. Group 2 hiked the first day without poles and the second day with poles. Both trials were completed on Snow King Mountain in Jackson, WY. The hiking path was a 1000m (.62 mile) stretch of the mountain’s boot pack trail. The path covered approximately 3281ft of horizontal distance and 1556ft of vertical distance, giving the route an average grade of 47.4% (27.1 degrees).”

Without going into details on physiological parameters that were examined or precisely how their statistical data were analyzed, the bottom-line results of their study were as follows:

“To assess overall metabolic efficiency, we once again turned to the connection between HR and speed called: Heart Rate-Running Speed Index. . . . If trekking poles do improve efficiency, the effects should be seen as increases in the group’s Heart Rate-Running Speed Index.

As you can see in GRAPH 2, the trekking pole group experienced a 16.0% increase in efficiency (based on their HR-Running Speed Index) while the non-pole group experienced only a 5.0% increase. The means that the trekking pole group gained about 11.0% more efficiency. Our real-world results add weight to the laboratory studies which show that trekking poles can have a positive effect on uphill movement. . . . When hiking uphill at significant grade, under significant load (approximately 47% grade and 40% bodyweight), trekking poles increase efficiency by approximately 10% and decrease perceived effort by 20%.”

See http://mtntactical.com/research/steep-g ... efficient/.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”