Stream crossing sandals?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Stream crossing sandals?

Post by Farmgirl »

I'm aware that we will be crossing a couple streams when we do the Northern Loop (highline, stoney, belly, iceberg/ptarmigan, many g, swift) in a couple weeks. Will my $7 croc knock-offs suffice or should I buy a pair of good water sandals? I wasn't sure how difficult the stream crossings on this hike would be. TIA!! 8)
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: Stream crossing sandals?

Post by Hockey Ref »

I sure hope your Croc knock-offs work because that's what I have! 8)
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator

Post by Farmgirl »

Hockey Ref wrote:I sure hope your Croc knock-offs work because that's what I have! 8)
I think your trip is before mine...you can let me know how YOURS work and then I'll make my decision!!! :lol:
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

I don't have any Crocs, but have used Teva sandals, Chaco sandals and Salomon Tech Amphibian water shoes. The Salomon's have been the best IMO. They seems to give a better feel for the bottom, which makes for a more stable crossing. The thick soles of the sandals was good for protection, but provided less feel. I think the only remotely serious crossing you'll face would be the ford near Cosley. Fortunately the bottom is pretty easy there so I imagine Crocs will be okay. I look forward to your trip report. :arrow:

Heff
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The crossing below Cosley Lake is a gravel bottom and fairly easy even when deep. Crocs might be OK there. For anything more serious I would want something that is attached well to my feet, gives good support, has a great feel for the bottom, doesn't pick up gravel inside the shoe and dries quickly. I use Keen sandals. They occasionally pick up some gravel but the covered toe makes for more comfort IMO.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jen

Post by Jen »

We had to ford a creek coming off of Pitamakin pass into Two Med. Maybe Dry creek? Anyway, it was not so dry. There was a group there when we arrived rearranging rocks as steppers and getting nowhere. It was only maybe six inches deep so I just whipped off my boots and socks and walked across followed closely by Bruce, Kathy and the other brave Glacier Girls. It was either that or hike out in wet boots and socks. :shock:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jen wrote:We had to ford a creek coming off of Pitamakin pass into Two Med. Maybe Dry creek? Anyway, it was not so dry. There was a group there when we arrived rearranging rocks as steppers and getting nowhere. It was only maybe six inches deep so I just whipped off my boots and socks and walked across followed closely by Bruce, Kathy and the other brave Glacier Girls. It was either that or hike out in wet boots and socks. :shock:
Bare feet will work in something like that. But swift water while carrying a backpack can mean more danger. Bigger rocks, slippery rocks, deeper water and you have the prescription for injury without good wading shoes. Check these pics where good wading shoes are an absolute must:

Jen

Post by Jen »

Ralph: I can totally see your point but I could not understand for the life of me why these hikers were carrying on about 6 inches of water over round river rocks. At it's deepest it was maybe mid-shin?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

As I said bare feet will work in the shallow water. Although a bruised instep from a minor slip could put a dent in the rest of a trip. Keep in mind that my feetsies are pretty tender. Given what I see in your pic I might have just "water-walked" across.

water-walk, v. To cross a creek with boots on where you run so fast that the water never penetrates the boot or goes down through the top. 8)

If you're really good you stay on top of the water. :mrgreen:
Mohammad Alghool

Post by Mohammad Alghool »

i like to wear black sandals.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Mohammad Alghool wrote:i like to wear black sandals.
I would like to take my black Teva sandals backpacking but they weigh twice what my Crocs do.

pete :wink:

PS

I do the "water walk" thing too---carefully 8)

I had to cross Avalanche creek a few years ago "sock footed". It was not fun.
Slimy rocks were slick and I had to be careful to not fall or bruise my tender feet as well. 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

I LOVE my Chacos.

Granted, they're a bit heavy, but they offer great support both in the water and out. I've had to use them on a couple of occasions when my boots were out of commission and found they were remarkably stable even on long hikes. I've even used them once when I was backpacking and my boots got too wet to work for me. (My feet blister in wet boots.) At this point, I'm willing to deal with the extra weight in exchange for the versatility they offer me on a long trip.

Besides the weight, the only downside I've found is that the straps hold my foot against the footbed SO snugly when I hike, that if I manage to get a pebble in them, I have to actually unstrap them to get it out. But I find the stability the Chacos give is worth that occasional inconvenience.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

joybird wrote:I LOVE my Chacos.

Granted, they're a bit heavy, but they offer great support both in the water and out. I've had to use them on a couple of occasions when my boots were out of commission and found they were remarkably stable even on long hikes. I've even used them once when I was backpacking and my boots got too wet to work for me. (My feet blister in wet boots.) At this point, I'm willing to deal with the extra weight in exchange for the versatility they offer me on a long trip.

Besides the weight, the only downside I've found is that the straps hold my foot against the footbed SO snugly when I hike, that if I manage to get a pebble in them, I have to actually unstrap them to get it out. But I find the stability the Chacos give is worth that occasional inconvenience.
Miss Guinness actually backpacked most the Northern Traverse in Chacos. She twisted an ankle on the first day and the boots hurt her too much so she decided the try her Chacos and she wore them from ELF to KIN. Of course we no longer take them due to weight but the Salomon TechAmphibs also work well for hiking. Out feet always seem to suffer coming down the west side of Stoney Indian Pass and we change into our water shoes at the bottom. Neither of us have had a problem backpacking in those but we haven't ever had a long day in them just several miles when out boots were soaked or out feet were hurting too much.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

I actually tried the Tech Amphibians after Hockey Ref said how much he liked them. Nice shoes (I like the idea of having a closed toe during a stream crossing) and dry pretty fast, but unfortunately, I find that they rub my heel so I have to wear socks with them if I'm going to hike any real distance…which kinda defeats the purpose for me if I'm gonna be getting my feet wet. :?

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”