Flying into FCA for GNP need2buy MSR IsoPro for stove

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

gr82hike
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Flying into FCA for GNP need2buy MSR IsoPro for stove

Post by gr82hike »

I'll be flying into FCA-Kalispell in the coming weeks and cannot bring the fuel I use for the MSR PocketRocket on the plane, so I need to stop somewhere between FCA and GNP to buy the fuel. Does anyone know if/which outdoor places along the way that will carry the canisters - ideally, an 8oz canister.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: Flying into FCA for GNP need2buy MSR IsoPro for stove

Post by Hockey Ref »

The camp stores in Glacier sell fuel.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

There are many brands of iso pro fuel. They'll all work. You can buy it in just about any store that sells outdoor gear between the airport and Glacier Park.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

We're also flying in to FCA-Kalispell, and need to pick up fuel for an MSR and Primus stove, plus bear spray. Based on what we've read, and some phone calls to local stores, we were under the impression that it could be spotty on what we'll find between the airport and GNP.

So we were planning to drive the 10 minutes south from the airport on Rt 2 to go to the Army Navy or Snappy Sport Center....then drive back up Rt 2 past the airport again, to get to Glacier. This is a total of 20 minutes of out-of-the-way driving, which isn't much.

Now I'm wondering if this plan is a waste of time, or if it's still the best way to go to ensure that we'll find what we need.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Or you could drive into the much more "scenic" :mrgreen: Whitefish and buy your stuff at the Army-Navy or Sportsman's Skihaus across the road in the WF "Mall".
Conveniently located, as they say....as you come into Whitefish on US 93. No need to get involved in "downtown" WF's traffic :)
It takes me 30 minutes +- a couple mins to drive from my apartment in WF to the West Glacier turn at Belton.
And I'll bet that's not 5 minutes different than driving from Snappy's or Kalispell Army-Navy.
You'll see small businesses along US 2 that will carry stuff like fuel and bear spray...unless they're "out of stock" at the moment. And generally their prices are a lil higher...if that matters to you.
Personally, I'd take the time to go to Whitefish(Army-Navy or Sportsman's) or Kalispell(Army-Navy or Snappys) and shop for what you need. Close to a 100% chance you'll get what you need and that they'll have anything you may have forgotten. 8)

pocketlint :wink:

PS

I have to promote "The Fish". I live here 8)
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Picking back up on this thread from long ago....with the same question.

This time we'll be arriving in FCA at night (around 10pm), staying in Columbia Falls, and we'll want to be on the road to the park by 6am.

The Super 1 Foods in Columbia Falls is open 24 hours, so we're good for groceries....but we'll need to get stove fuel canisters and bear spray.

Stores won't be open after 10pm when we arrive, and they won't be open early in the morning. Looking to confirm that there is a place closer to the park, or the camp stores in the park, that will definitely sell both stove fuel canisters and bear spray?
Pizza Bob

Post by Pizza Bob »

Kalispell Walmart is open 24 hours. They have groceries, almost certainly have fuel, and probably have bear spray. You can call them to confirm whether they do.

Or call some of the gas stations near where you are lodging. Most are open 24 hours and probably carry fuel and bear spray.

I suspect most locals stock up on bear spray from Costco when they have it — something like 2 cans for $40 — so while most stores as you near the park carry it, it is not something normally looked for.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

On the other side of the Park, I have been able to buy those items at the Swiftcurrent Camp Store, so I would bet most of the Park giftshops/stores would also carry fuel and bear spray. I would try Eddie’s in Apgar. I’m not sure if they are open yet, but you could call them to confirm whether they stock these items: 406-888-5361
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

There are several places in West Glacier/Apgar that sell bear spray and fuel.
West Glacier Mercantile and Glacier Guides are two.
The "big question" is what time do they open? Check websites for times?
I think 7AM is the earliest anyone opens over there.
If you are arriving after June 1st you shouldn't have a problem.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

The Super One in CFalls has an aisle that sells dehydrated Mtn House food. I can't remember if they also have bear spray and fuel there also. Worth looking. I think its on the greeting card area.
fmcdonald

Post by fmcdonald »

The Super 1 in Columbia Falls sells bear spray. We always buy it there when we get our groceries. Price is reasonable. You have to ask for it. They do not have it out on display.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Thanks all, great info. I'll make some calls, and post anything more that I find out back on this thread.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

I said I'd follow up on this one...

Some of us will mail (ground ship) our cans of bear spray so that it's waiting for us at our hotel when we arrive. This includes a new can of Counter Assault purchased on Amazon. (Amazon sells both Counter Assault and UDAP, and ground ships it -- and it comes pretty fast.)

Others may buy cans out there, but will likely rent cans of UDAP from Glacier Outfitters in Apgar. It's a flat $28 to rent a can for a 3-7 day window, or $50 to buy a can. So it's "park prices". I called and they said that they have a process of inspecting the returned cans, tracking the can weights, etc.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Fairbanks142 wrote:I said I'd follow up on this one...

Some of us will mail (ground ship) our cans of bear spray so that it's waiting for us at our hotel when we arrive. This includes a new can of Counter Assault purchased on Amazon. (Amazon sells both Counter Assault and UDAP, and ground ships it -- and it comes pretty fast.)

Others may buy cans out there, but will likely rent cans of UDAP from Glacier Outfitters in Apgar. It's a flat $28 to rent a can for a 3-7 day window, or $50 to buy a can. So it's "park prices". I called and they said that they have a process of inspecting the returned cans, tracking the can weights, etc.
You can buy Counter Assault bear spray here at same price or cheaper. Lots of places sell it.
Sportsman's SkiHaus in Whitefish is either $34.95 or $39.95. Same at Army Navy last I looked. Cheaper than Amazon.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Normally, yes. For us, those stores aren't options.

Our flight arrives in FCA at 10pm. Staying in Columbia Falls that night, and then on the road into the park by 6am the next morning.

Sounds like the Super 1 Foods in CF, which is open 24 hours, would be an option, as fmcdonald said above. Or buying/renting from Glacier Outfitters in Apgar, or buying on Amazon in advance and mailing it to our hotel in CF.

But yes, Pete, normally the other stores would be better options, thanks. (Main thing I wanted to do was post the additional info that I found back here, for others who may have a similar situation....so we've got a lot of good info here now!)

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”