Camera for backpack trips

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camera for backpack trips

Post by paul »

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good lightweight camera for backpacking. I need something in between a full DSLR and a point and shoot. I have a Cannon EOS but it's too heavy/bulky and not convenient for my backpacking trips. I also have a Panasonic Lumix which I've been using for the last few years. However the Lumix doesn't have a view finder or other DSLR features which I think would be useful. I don't like taking pictures using a back display on the camera back because it's difficult to frame a shot and I find it tough to see the subject well.

Paul
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Camera for backpack trips

Post by orin »

I have an Olympus OMD EM5, a "mirrorless" M4/3 camera . It handles like a small DSLR rather than like a point and shoot. The sensor is smaller than a DSLR but a lot larger than any point and shoot. There are a wide range of lenses available. It has a wide angle LCD and a large bright electronic viewfinder. It is solidly made (weather sealed) and not cheap. I've been quite happy with it but its really designed for a fairly serious photographer rather than an average point and shoot user.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks Orin,

It looks like a great camera. I might be a little more expensive than what I'm looking for.

Paul
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I'd take a look at the numbers for weight and size. I have a 5DII, and when I look at the Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras, they don't seem worth the money. They're expensive for the weight and size savings. For a comparison, take a look at the 50 mm 1.8 and the 24 and 40 mm pancake (STM) lenses (depending on if you're shooting crop or full frame.) So half the problem with DSLRs is the camera, and half is the lens...well, probably more of the problem is the lens in my case. Another option is something like the Fuji X100T, but while the image quality is great, that's expensive too. The old Sony R1 is even more expensive. When you start dropping down to the $200-300 cameras I really start thinking, why not just use the phone. To throw a weird idea out there, the GoPro can shoot stills and (with the new one I hear) you can shoot different angles of view. It's really small and tough as nails. If you have any interest in videos I'd at least read up on the GoPro. I have a bunch of old Nikon manual lenses and an adaptor for canon. The lenses are small and light, so I hate to purchase small and light Canon AUTOOCUS lenses because I can use the Nikon lenses. The Olympus lenses are even smaller if you're willing to focus manually.

So, good question.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

As I made my living with a camera for quite a few years, I understand fully what you are talking about with no view finder, but Deb gave me a camera for my birthday a couple of years ago, that I have been quite happy with, I am amazed by the quality it produces and it is small, light and not a problem at all, it took a while to figure out taking images with no view finder, but it does have a 3" screen on the back of it, runs on 2 regular double A batteries, takes a small SD card and has a 16 megapixel on it and a 14x optical zoom in addition it takes full 1080 HD video, I have not picked up my DSLR for close to a year now and have been quite happy with it. It is a Nikon L610, which I am sure has been discontinued, but I would recommend looking at the Nikon L series cameras.

The one I have is a great camera and it only cost around a $150.00 so I am pleased.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

paul wrote:I don't like taking pictures using a back display on the camera back because it's difficult to frame a shot and I find it tough to see the subject well.
I know what you mean about P&S cams....
But I still like my little SonyHX-10V P&S. Sony now makes a better version of the HX-10V.
I think the quality of my "snaps" are pretty good all things considered 8)

I've gotten used to "framing" shots with it.
I found that using a cheap lil mini tripod that weighs nothing is a huge help in framing still shots with a non viewfinder camera.
I use the mini tripod as a tiny "unipod". It works well for movie sequences as well.

Polarized sunglasses "black out" the image when the camera is turned vertical. Annoying, but I deal with it.
Battery life is good but I still charge several spare batteries to take on trips. The batteries weigh next to nothing.
I've had it 3 years now and it's held up well to the beating I have given it. Dust, as always, is the number one enemy.
I keep in a case that fits on my pack belt or I can put in a cargo pocket for quick access.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Thanks guys,

I'm convinced that I really do need a viewfinder not only to frame the picture well and reduce camera shake but also to actually see my subject better while taking the shots. I wear glasses for nearsightedness and I'm also losing my vision for reading. A viewfinder will have a diopter so I can adjust it to my vision.

Paul
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

hard to beat an iphone except for the lack of zoom. (and I used to carry an F4)

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”