Cold weather-bag and pad

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mxfuel
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Cold weather-bag and pad

Post by mxfuel »

I need some advice for the trip we are taking next June in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. I am not sure what the weather will be in a month but not sure my bag or pad will be suited for the temps I may see. I may have to sleep in my coat & hat etc. Could I get by with purchasing two space blankets and placing them on each side of the bag?
PeteE

Re: Cold weather-bag and pad

Post by PeteE »

I've never been in the Cloud Peaks, but cold is cold no matter where you are.
I would plan on temps below freezing in June. I have to believe night time temps in the mid 20's would not be unusual at altitude in that area.

Sleep comfort and cold tolerance is a very personal thing.
I'm not a big fan of space blankets used that way. One issue could be condensation since I doubt they breathe well.
One underneath your mattress may help some.

Instead, I would spend the money on a good, light weight, inflatable air mattress. Some are inflatables are insulated albeit heavier.
I believe it's important in cold weather that getting yourself well off the ground will help you stay warmer.

I sleep wearing long underwear with a fleece hat or a fleece balaclava if really cold. I sleep with wool socks as well.
Just doing that helps me a lot staying warm.
You might also want to carry a set of light weight wool blend or fleece long underwear(top and bottom) to sleep in.
The one thing you want to avoid is over dressing and then getting sweated up in your bag.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

I have a down mummy bag rated to 20 F and love it for camping in the mountains... never been cold in the 3 seasons spring - fall... down is light and packable, good for backpacking... A good thermarest or equivalent as Pete has suggested is a must as well.

A slightly better option than space blankets would be an overbag sleeping bag - if for some reason you really want to keep using the bag you have... I bought one years ago with the idea to use for winter camping. I bought an inexpensive one from MEC but big Agnes has a few. I've never ended up using it except for summer camping as a stand alone sleeping bag when it's fairly warm.

You'd probably survive sleeping in a higher temp rated bag with a coat on but might not be fun. Cloud peaks sounds awesome. :)
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

I tend to sleep cold but have found that a silk liner offers a surprising amount of extra warmth for very little extra weight. 8)

Stuffing my extra clothes in the footbox helps too. :wink:

And yeah. I spent a couple nights in Cloud Peak en route to Glacier last summer. Definitely awesome!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I bought a new down bag rated to 20F and then proceeded to freeze in temps around 32 or a bit lower. Since I was car camping, I also had a blanket over the bag and each night kept wearing more clothes. I don't think there is any problem sleeping with long underwear + pants, various layers + jacket, hat and gloves as compared to trying to sleep when your cold.

Trevbo mentions an overbag. I have a liner bag that I find great for sleeping inside or in warm temps. So either would be a useful option for increasing your bag's range. I think it's really helpful to know if you're a freeze baby like me before getting out there.

One more thing. A guy who used to post here used to use a hot water bottle in the bag when he went to sleep (winter camping). So there's one more option.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

For cold camping try to maximize R value under your sleeping bag. That's where a lot of heat goes since your bag is compressed there. I throw in a closed cell foam pad to place under my blowup as an extra insulation layer. A closed cell pad is pretty light and cheap. I also pack my down coat and place it on top of my sleeping bag trying to keep it as fluffed as possible. Another backup plan is to throw in a few hand warmers; the kind that activate with air. They last quite a few hours. Also wear a warm hat and have just your nose sticking out of your bag. I've slept in my 20 degree bag at minus 5 without too much discomfort.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”