So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Post by Heff936 »

I've posted before about our couples sleep system, but I thought I would do so here again since I have no recollection of where to find the prior post. Basically I think be have a fabulous system for couples. We start with two 25" NeoAir All Season sleeping pads. We connect the pads with the MSR Down Coupler which creates a comfortable and soft mattress surface. Then for summer we use the Nemo Tango Duo down quilt. It fits around the bottom or the sleeping pads and creates a bed. There is a removable hood as well. We have found this to be much warmer than the 30 degree rating on the Tango, probably due to the down coupler insulating from the ground. For colder weather we use a different top quilt. This one is from Enlightened Equipment which is a great place for down quilts. Our's is a 900 fill downtek and while we don't like the overall design quite as well as the Tango, it's rated at 10 degrees and weighs less than the Tango Duo. We have always used a roomy 3 person tent and we have never been happier with another tent compared with the Nemo Losi 3P tent. There are lighter 3 person tents but probably none comfier. At under 3 pounds per person, the overall weight of our sleep system with the Tango is less than many sleeping bag and pad combinations. With the Enlightened Accomplice Quilt, is about half a pound lighter.

This system has definitely helped us sleep better in the backcountry and we use it for car camping too since it is so comfortable. I highly recommend that any couples looking to upgrade their backcountry sleep system, consider this approach.

Heff
Marmotman
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Marmotman »

My REI rebate went into a new Jetboil MiniMo camp stove and an Osprey Talon 33 daypack. Was able to get the 20% off on both of them to boot. I was thoroughly impressed with a friend's Minimo at 50 MTN 2 years ago when we got 6" of snow. He was able to heat water, hydrate dinner and eat it before my stove boiled water.

On the tent subject, I've had a 6 Moon Design Skyscape Trekker for 2 years now. 1 1/2 pounds for a spacious 1 person (and sometimes a dog). Stayed dry in monsoons, even at Lake Ellen Wilson when my Croc shoe floated away.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Big Agnes copper spur 2 man tent. Using as a solo. Excellent light weight tent. Subbed out the stakes. About 2lbs.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

We also bought a new backpacking stove. We only boil water on trips and had used the MSR Pocket Rocket with a titanium pot for more than a decade with good results. I would typically get through breakfast on the 6th day of a trip with one 8 oz fuel canister. That might vary by one meal or two if it was a windy trip. But we switched last year to the MSR Windboiler. The reason was efficiency and it has proven to be aptly named and very efficient. It gets the same number of boils from a 4 Oz fuel canister that I had been getting from an 8 oz container. The Windboiler system fits together like the jet boil but the heating elements is different and it is impervious to wind. It's heavier than our old system but it works out as a break even for days 6 days in length and is a lower net weight on trips longer than 6 days, which is mostly what we do. I'm very happy with it so far. It's fast, efficient and saves fuel, all good things.

Heff
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Heff, Thanks for the tip on the Windboiler. I too had been concerned about susceptibility of Pocket Rocket to wind and subsequent inefficient fuel use.

I finally trialed a new Nemo Vector 20R sleeping pad. Seems pretty good. Will look at a Nemo ultralight tent next. (Can't get over the obstacle of orange Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 tent; even dragged myself to REI when it was on sale and couldn't buy it. Nemo has green tents, LOL):
http://www.nemoequipment.com/
RussC

Post by RussC »

I have had a few upgrades over the past year. Or at least some additions.

Toaks alcohol stove, which works well, is very simple with no moving parks, and makes it easy to save unused fuel. And it has a pretty ingenious design.

Since my previous tarp started leaking--it was a an inexpensive model and the waterproofing died--I got a Cuben fiber tarp that I like a lot. For added insurance I got a reasonably priced bivy from Borah. Overall it weighs about a pound, provides lots of room underneath, and will keep me dry and cozy.

I also got an Osprey Atmos pack. My old pack though very light was starting to show some signs of wear, and though this one is heavier it carries a load well and the webbing keeps it off my back.

I don't usually buy a lot of gear, I am a make-do minimalist kind of person, but at some point stuff wears out.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I am thinking of getting an ultralight tarp to hang over the food prep area in case of crappy weather. They are really pricey though. I see some great deals on footprints. Any insight as to whether that might work as an overhead tarp?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jen wrote:I am thinking of getting an ultralight tarp to hang over the food prep area in case of crappy weather. They are really pricey though. I see some great deals on footprints. Any insight as to whether that might work as an overhead tarp?
This might work. You can probably get some Tyvek where you live at a building supply place, or find a contractor to give you some.
Rig it with some spectra cord and Micro Line Loc Guy Line Adjusters when it rains.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tyvek.shtml
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spect ... l#hardware
I got a piece from a friend and made a ground sheet for my TarpTent Squall II.
I roll it up in a separate stuff sack to keep it separate from my "clean" tent.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Jen wrote:I am thinking of getting an ultralight tarp to hang over the food prep area in case of crappy weather. They are really pricey though. I see some great deals on footprints. Any insight as to whether that might work as an overhead tarp?

I have this 10' x 10' sil nylon tarp in the olive color. It is a little pricey but well made and crazy waterproof:

There are lots of loops (instead of grommets) so many options for tie-down.

I have only used it for car camping, but at 1.85 lbs, it would be light enough to carry on a backpack.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I ended up getting a tarp for the food area from REI (with a 20% coupon). (See my photos from Bowman Lake-failed lug nut trip.) It's better (lighter) than a tarp, but I don't think it's light enough for backpacking. I have a very light, paper thin ground cloth (35-40 years old) that is not water proof, but would shed water. That would be perfect for your application. It's similar to tent material. A Scotch Guard treatment would make it mostly waterproof.

I also use Tyvek as a ground cloth. I got it from "the garage build." It's kind of loud (crinkles), not particularly thin, but it was free compared to the pricey ground sheets.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I just re-read your entire death defying trip report. It was just as great as when it was originally posted. However, I saw no photos of your tarp. So I ordered a Kelty Noah that I found on Groupon for $40. It will weigh in at under 2lbs. Still a bit heavy but better that cooking in the rain. Of course, if I carry it around for 15 days it definitely won't rain. :)
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I'm honored you read it again.

I looked it up. I see a photo on pg 4, 11/2/15 post showing the "tarp" covering the picnic table and a bit of the tent. I believe I got a 12x12 (huge).

Jay
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I realize you've made your choice but the tarp is also in a photo on pg 3, Oct 5th under Trip Reports/Other National Parks post Yellowstone/Tetons 2016.

Just putting out that opportunity for you to get sucked into another trip report. :D

Jay
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Sorry but that Kelty Noah looks kind of wimpy to me. What size did you get? Will it cover two people in a windy rain?
I found this tarp in just a few minutes. Yes, it's $75.00 but at 8x10 it provides better protection and is about 1/2? the weight at only 14oz.
There are probably more sil-nylon tarps like this one at a better price.
There's no such thing as light AND cheap------- imo. 8)

http://www.shop.backpackingadventuregea ... n-tarp.htm

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

I got the 12x12 because we will use it for car camping as well, hence the extra weight. 40 bucks is all the gear budget would allow since I am still planning to upgrade my sleeping bag. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”