So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Post by teapot57 »

Now that most of my hiking and camping plans are in place, I've moved on to thinking about new gear. What have you purchased lately?

My most recent purchase was not for me, but for my son. We got him an Osprey Exos 48 pack. What's highest on my wish list is a lighter backpacking tent (mine is about 4 lbs), but nothing I like is in the budget just yet. Plus, I have a 15 year old Sherpa to help with the load. :D

What's your most recent purchase? Or what do you have your eye on?
Jen

Re: So what new piece of gear have you purchased lately?

Post by Jen »

My most recent purchase was the Tarp Tent I bought last year for our family trip to Cloud Peak Wilderness. We needed a 4 person lightweight tent and the Hogback has been amazing! Love it!
https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

I have my eye on a new sleeping bag for this year (handing my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 down to Maia). ;)
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Thanks for the Thread, Teapot! I heart new gear! Congrats on the new pack for Cam!
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

I bought this little Osprey Talon 6 hip pack about a month ago. Feels good on me.
Light weight and compact for good weather hikes or scrambles.
Spring green--goes well with either my lime green shirts or orange ones 8)
https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... lsrc=aw.ds

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

I just sold my old backpack (Arc'teryx Acrux 50) and bought a Gregory Baltaro 65. A little bigger, a little heavier, and not a dry bag, but so much more comfortable! Also had to retire my 15 year old boots (Asolo GTX) and went with a new pair of Salomon's. That should be it for me this year, but my dad will be joining me this summer and has no gear. So I'm helping him put together everything he needs - so living vicariously through him!
~ jason
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Last year for us it was the Alight Mayfly camp chair. It was the first thing we would grab for when we got into camp.
Ahh! Back support sure helped in day to day recovery, which is key to long distance thru hiking. The ability to recover.
This year I am ditching the traditional hiking boots for high cushion trail runners, specifically the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 mids. Super light weight, zero drop technology, wide toebox.
Looking forward to less foot pain this season.
IRG
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

teapot57 wrote:My most recent purchase was not for me, but for my son. We got him an Osprey Exos 48 pack.
I use the Exos 58 and really like it. It weighs half what most packs weigh and even the 55L small size swallows a hard sided bear canister. I wish the shoulder strap padding extended an inch or two longer to cover my collar bones.

Andrew
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

I bought some Salomon Quest 4 II GTX boots. I took them on their first 5 mile hike in the park yesterday and they were quite comfortable. Though they are heavy compared to the TNF Ultra 109's I have been using.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

HoustonHiker wrote:I bought some Salomon Quest 4 II GTX boots. I took them on their first 5 mile hike in the park yesterday and they were quite comfortable. Though they are heavy compared to the TNF Ultra 109's I have been using.
I'm on my 3rd pair of Salomon Quest 4D II GTX boots. Heff936 told me about them a few years ago.
They aren't heavy compared to the leather Asolos I had before.
I buy mine on Amazon. I just checked and the price can vary considerably depending on color you select.
Just now, "Fossil" is $155.12 in size 14.
"Iguana Green" is $230.00 in size 14.

And so I just bought a 4th pair, the "Fossils". I care less about the color LOL!!

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

teapot57 wrote:Now that most of my hiking and camping plans are in place, I've moved on to thinking about new gear. What have you purchased lately?

My most recent purchase was not for me, but for my son. We got him an Osprey Exos 48 pack. What's highest on my wish list is a lighter backpacking tent (mine is about 4 lbs), but nothing I like is in the budget just yet. Plus, I have a 15 year old Sherpa to help with the load. :D

What's your most recent purchase? Or what do you have your eye on?
Here's a good choice for you Tina.
https://www.rei.com/product/865388/big- ... AqJa8P8HAQ

2Lb 3oz is about as light as a decent free standing tent gets. I have the older version of a Copper II and I love it.
On sale now at REI.

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

isleroyaleguy wrote:Last year for us it was the Alight Mayfly camp chair. It was the first thing we would grab for when we got into camp.
Ahh! Back support sure helped in day to day recovery, which is key to long distance thru hiking. The ability to recover.
I've been looking into campchairs. They are a bit of a luxury, but I sometimes get lower back pain and I think the support after a long day of hiking would be nice. Do you find it hard to get into or out of the Mayfly? I tested out the Alite Monarch:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-958/Monarch-Chair
and the Helinox Ground Chair:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-107/ ... xt=helinox

in our local Mountain Equipment Coop store (which doesn't carry the Mayfly, btw). I liked the Monarch, but since it only has two legs, you have to balance it, and I found it hard to sit forward in the chair. I was leaning toward purchasing the Helinox Ground Chair, but found it hard to get out of without putting your hands on the ground to push off.
I use the Exos 58 and really like it. It weighs half what most packs weigh and even the 55L small size swallows a hard sided bear canister.
Good to hear! It seems really lightweight and comfortable. We will put it to the test this summer.

2Lb 3oz is about as light as a decent free standing tent gets. I have the older version of a Copper II and I love it.
On sale now at REI.
I've had my eye on that tent. Unfortunately, REI doesn't ship to Canada and I haven't found it at a decent price up here. Or maybe I should say "fortunately". I really don't need it, but would really like it! :D
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

PeteE wrote:I'm on my 3rd pair of Salomon Quest 4D II GTX boots. Heff936 told me about them a few years ago.
They aren't heavy compared to the leather Asolos I had before.
Pete, my weight comparison of the Salomon to what some consider a trail running shoe is completely unfair.
PeteE wrote:Here's a good choice for you Tina.

On sale now at REI.

I own the Copper Spur UL1 and second Pete's recommendation. The pluses, in addition to being lightweight, are its roominess inside for a 1 person tent and its ability to stand up well to very strong winds. Its minus is less durability than heavier tents when encountering sharp objects. I managed to get a 3" tear in mine. Big Agnes stood behind their product, though, and fixed and returned it for free. And they did a nice job on the fix.

Andrew
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

isleroyaleguy wrote:Last year for us it was the Alight Mayfly camp chair. It was the first thing we would grab for when we got into camp.
I really like the REI Flex Lite chair. I only take it car camping, on short backpacks, or to music festivals but it is surprisingly comfortable and lightweight.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

HoustonHiker :)

No, I understood you were comparing the Quest to a lighter running "shoe" and I was comparing it to a heavier "boot".
Apples and oranges I agree. 8)

Anyway, I believe you'll like the Salomons.
As an old dude of 69 and a stumble bum, 8)I appreciate the light weight and the good support the Quest provides me.
Makes scree and talus walking much easier and safer.
Due to past foot problems, I do have custom orthotics in mine which helps.
I hiked up to the top of the Hay Stack from Logan pass and back the first time I wore the pair before current ones.
No problems.

PS

I agree about having to be careful with the Big Agnes tents.

George Carlin
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

teapot57 wrote:
I've been looking into campchairs. They are a bit of a luxury, but I sometimes get lower back pain and I think the support after a long day of hiking would be nice. Do you find it hard to get into or out of the Mayfly? I tested out the Alite Monarch:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-958/Monarch-Chair
and the Helinox Ground Chair:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-107/ ... xt=helinox

in our local Mountain Equipment Coop store (which doesn't carry the Mayfly, btw). I liked the Monarch, but since it only has two legs, you have to balance it, and I found it hard to sit forward in the chair. I was leaning toward purchasing the Helinox Ground Chair, but found it hard to get out of without putting your hands on the ground to push off.
I use the Exos 58 and really like it. It weighs half what most packs weigh and even the 55L small size swallows a hard sided bear canister.
Good to hear! It seems really lightweight and comfortable. We will put it to the test this summer.

On sale now at REI.
I've had my eye on that tent. Unfortunately, REI doesn't ship to Canada and I haven't found it at a decent price up here. Or maybe I should say "fortunately". I really don't need it, but would really like it! :D
We bought the REI Flex Lite chairs, which are very similar to the two you mention. The REI version is a little heaver but more comfortable than the sling chairs we used to use. They also fold up smaller making them easier to pack. We bought the REI version, as I recall, because we could use our Dividend and that made up for the extra 3 ounces or so. I have found that taking a foam roller helps me when I get to camp and the chair fits inside that and I carry it where you might typically carry a rolled sleeping pad. Our NeoAir All season pads fold up so they fit better inside the pack. The foam roller helps to keep my pelvis from being pulled out of alignment, which tends to happen as muscles in my right quad try to protect the right hip. it's also good for loosening backs. We had planned to replace our roller with one we saw that folds up, but to our surprise the one that folds is not only more expensive but heavier.

Heff
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

HoustonHiker wrote:
I really like the REI Flex Lite chair. I only take it car camping, on short backpacks, or to music festivals but it is surprisingly comfortable and lightweight.
We looked at the REI flexlite too. They were nice, but 6oz heavier and didn't pack as small. But still a good option.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”