Food, toiletries, and garbage storage in backcountry

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

joshillian
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Food, toiletries, and garbage storage in backcountry

Post by joshillian »

I'd be interested on hearing experiences and observations from the community on the best strategies for storage of food, toiletries, and garbage in the backcountry.

Are bear canisters worth the extra weight/expense? Or are there alternatives that you use?

I understand that each of the backcountry sites have either food lockers or bear poles.

The GNP backcountry camping site lists the following related gear:
  • A weatherproof food and garbage hanging bag
    25 feet of rope for hanging food and garbage
I'm not entirely clear on the use of bear canisters. When a bear pole is present, do you still just plan on leaving it on the ground (that would seem dumb). Do you bring along another bag to hang it in? Do you just hang your backpack with it in it?
PeteE

Re: Food, toiletries, and garbage storage in backcountry

Post by PeteE »

joshillian wrote:I'd be interested on hearing experiences and observations from the community on the best strategies for storage of food, toiletries, and garbage in the backcountry.

I put all my "smelly stuff", food related, toiletries, etc. in my "food bag" and hang it on the provided, pole, wire, or locker in the campsite.
My food bag is made of "cuben fiber" and is highly mouse resistant as well as sufficiently water resistant for my use. It's been rained on a number of times with no problem.
One of the last things I do after dinner is get all the smelly stuff gathered up and hung/stored.

Scroll down to see "Food Dry Bag" (Not Cuben Fiber anymore)
This dry bag is made with thicker 1.43 oz/sqyd Dyneema Composite Fabric in Blue or Olive.
The thicker material can stand up to the abuse of bear bagging heavy, pointy food items.
A Carabiner is included for hanging the bag from the roll top!

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

Are bear canisters worth the extra weight/expense?
Bear canisters are not required in GNP if staying in a BC campsite that has poles, wires, lockers.
Assuming you have an approprite bag to hang your stuff in.

No need UNLESS you have a permit for an off trail back country stay(mountaineering parties sometimes need such permits).
The BC Office may then require a bear canister(s) if they deem it necessary.

Or are there alternatives that you use? See above

I understand that each of the backcountry sites have either food lockers or bear poles. They do. See above

The GNP backcountry camping site lists the following related gear:
  • A weatherproof food and garbage hanging bag
    25 feet of rope for hanging food and garbage
I'm odd man out here I suppose. I carry about 40ft of flat, braided, non stretch, limp nylon(I think).
It doesn't tangle, easy to toss over a bear pole using a rocks in a bag for weight.

Here's my 1:13 video on "How to toss your line over the wire the easy way
8)

I'm not entirely clear on the use of bear canisters. When a bear pole is present, do you still just plan on leaving it on the ground (that would seem dumb). Do you bring along another bag to hang it in? Do you just hang your backpack with it in it?

I don't use them so I'll let someone else advise you on their use. I see no need for using bear canisters in GNP.
You might use them next door in the Bob if you go above tree line or don't know how to hang food in the wilderness.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
griffin
Gender?: Female

Post by griffin »

joshillian wrote:
We did not bring our bear canisters to Glacier when we visited years ago - it didn't seem worth the extra weight since we would already be carrying rope, etc., and we were staying at sites with bear poles. I have used it in New Hampshire and Vermont when hiking to places that didn't have lockers and we weren't sure the trees would offer sufficient hanging options. Mostly it gets used as a step-stool in my tool room.
joshillian
Donator
Donator

Post by joshillian »

Thank you pete and griffin for the responses :) I'm leaning toward one of those zpacks dry bags -- looks like a compelling alternative to the canister route.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”