Sleeping Kit

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

cdsmith379
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sleeping Kit

Post by cdsmith379 »

Does anyone have suggestions for a comfortable pad/bag/pillow setup for July weather in Glacier? My current setup is so darned uncomfortable. I have a foam pad and an old down bag with no loft left.
paul
Donator
Donator

Re: Sleeping Kit

Post by paul »

I can only suggest what I use now... I'm sure there are some gear people out there who have more suggestions.

I use a Therma-Rest Neo Air sleeping pad. It's pretty good. Some people say it's loud but I don't notice that too much. I use the extra wide 25" version so I don't roll off the pad in the middle of the night.

I have a Nemo spoon shaped sleeping bag which has more room for the knees and arms. It's nice for side-sleeping. The bag is rated for 20 degrees F but I wouldn't want to camp with temperatures lower than 30F.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Check out Sierra Design's back country bed sleeping bags:

https://sierradesigns.com/bed-style/

I bought a bivvy sack from Sierra Designs that is meant to work with the back country bed (these sleeping bags are a bit heavier than mummy bags).

If you are front country camping the synthetic bags are much cheaper but quite heavy...
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

Thanks for those suggestions, I will check them out!
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

I'd suggest you look at a good 25" wide pad and combine that with a top quilt from Elightened Equipment. We use Neo Air All Season pad with a two person Quilt from them and love it. Nemo also makes a top quilt and their design is great but Enlightened lets you choose the down, materials, colors etc. We went with 900 fill down and now the only problem is the tent never warms up because the quilt insulates so well

Heff
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

My daughter used a Therma-Rest Neo Air pad on her 2011 thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail (March to August). Sometime after her hike ended it developed a small leak so she went out and bought another one. So I guess that would qualify as a recommendation. I saw some other northbound AT thru-hikers carrying those Z-pads (accordion type things to my unsophisticated eye) and since they were still using those by the time they reached Maine, those pads must have worked out well for them.

Lyman
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

Thanks again everyone. The Thermarest NEO gets top marks online, and is available at Eastern Mountain Sports and L.L. Bean also nearby(I still like to shop locally when I can). I'll probably head over there and lay on the ground for a while. I think a showroom floor is about as hard as a Glacier tent pad.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”