Is lodging/food any better under Xanterra?

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mike W.
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Is lodging/food any better under Xanterra?

Post by Mike W. »

My last trip to Glacier was nearly a decade ago, although one is in the planning stages for next year. On my previous trip I was underwhelmed by GPI in both accommodations and dining. I'm a parks veteran, we weren't expecting a 5 star hotel, more on the lines of the cabins at Yellowstone, not the hotel, the 80 year old cabins, but it was miles below that. Anyway, looking towards next year, have things changed for the better under new management or should I look outside the park for food and lodging? Previous stays were at Rising Sun and Swiftcurrent.
al_in_al
Gender?: Female

Re: Is lodging/food any better under Xanterra?

Post by al_in_al »

I only visited Glacier once when GPI was in charge (2013), but have lots of experience with Xanterra. Xanterra updated all the rooms in the park when they took over - I think the beds are very comfy, and rooms are nicer after the change. I don’t remember the GPI food, but I do like Xanterra’s offerings. I visited Yellowstone last year, and definitely liked the food situation at GNP better.

There has been a recent change to the restaurant at Swiftcurrent, making it a fast-casual instead of sit-down restaurant, and I haven’t visited since - it gets bad reviews.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Along with being a Parks fan I'm a would be foodie too, I'll look and download menus and I've got to say the menu at Nells/Swiftcurrent did look pretty terrible. The other places did look ok, but just because a menu looks good, doesn't mean it is.

Thanks for the feedback!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Mike W. wrote:Along with being a Parks fan I'm a would be foodie too, I'll look and download menus and I've got to say the menu at Nells/Swiftcurrent did look pretty terrible. The other places did look ok, but just because a menu looks good, doesn't mean it is.

Thanks for the feedback!
Nells would be 5 stars compared to the current food service at Swiftcurrent now.

Two Dog Flats had decent(edible) breakfast last year.
And I had a pretty good cheeseburger at the Lake McDonald Lodge dining room last year.

The few times I've eaten recently at Many Glacier Hotel the food and service sucked considering the price.

Anyone coming to GNP expecting fine service and good food will almost certainly be disappointed.
That's to be expected though imo since they are only open for 2-3 months a year.
It's very difficult to staff a place under those circumstances.

My 2 cents

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

Technically, there is no such thing as a bad room in Glacier. That said, Xanterra has updated the rooms at all of the lodgings they manage and they are great improvements over the state of the accommodations prior to the update. Whether they are worth the additional cost is up to the individual. Plus, they have thoughtfully made the updates to reflect the era/style of each inn/motel. I still stay in the GPI managed lodgings and find them to be comfortable and pleasant.

As far as food, for me, Eddie's at Apgar is not as good as it was before (and it wasn't stellar before).

I also miss the convenience food that Heidi's served in Many Glacier. They have a self-service food/baked good and beverage area beside the gift shop downstairs near where Heidi's used to be, but I found the new one lacked some of the things I loved about Heidi's (instant oatmeal, more packaged sandwiches, magazines if you wanted to hunker down after a long hike and read something mindless, etc.). But, knowing this, I stop in St. Mary on my way over and pick up some of the instant foods I like and keep them on hand.

As far as the dining rooms, I love the atmosphere at both Lake McDonald and Many Glacier. For me, that is a large part of the experience. You can't go wrong with a burger or salad and a beer or glass of wine, and you can't beat the views and the sense of history. I don't usually order the big entree items because I have found them to be hit or miss, and I don't want to miss after a long day of activity!

I've not been to the Swiftcurrent restaurant since its transformation. To Pete's point, I'm sure it's hard to find good help; and unlikely that bad help can be remedied once installed for the season.

Not in the park, but we love The BackRoom in Columbia Falls. You will not be disappointed, but you might have to loosen your belt!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Brindledog is certainly correct. The Backroom is great :arrow:

Lyman

Return to “Lodging”