Sperry Chalet or Rising Sun?

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

HoustonHiker
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sperry Chalet or Rising Sun?

Post by HoustonHiker »

I'm excited to return for my 2nd trip to Glacier this summer. I plan to stay 10 nights with the 1st night at Many Glacier campground, then a 5 night counter-clockwise norther circle trip, an "off" night, a 2 night Gunsight Pass trip, and then the last night at Many Glacier campground.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay the middle "off" night between backcountry routes (in an ideal world where reservations magically happen)?

I want to stay a Sperry Chalet a night but don't know if it is realistic to hike out Highline from GRN, pick up the 2nd backcountry permit, and then hike to Sperry in time for dinner. I tend to hike quickly and would guess the hike to Sperry would take 3 hours or less. An alternative might be to try for a reservation at Rising Sun cabins with the option to hike to Siyeh Pass in the afternoon?

Andrew
PeteE

Re: Sperry Chalet or Rising Sun?

Post by PeteE »

The Sperry idea is a no go in my view. Too little time. No way to do all hiking and running around. That and you can't get a permit like you described.
As for where to stay between backpacks...
Once you have confirmation on dates of trips(if you dont have them now), I'd start looking for a place in StMary/ Rising Sun for your Gunsight pass trip.
Siyeh pass is a favorite hike. I assume you meant doing it on your full day off?
Some "rest day" 8)

My 2 cents
pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

Thanks Pete! I was trying to wishful think the Spery stay into possibility.

I feel confident a Rising Sun cabin opening will show up in the next 4 months. Maybe 1 night out of 10 in a real bed would be nice.

I was thinking of Siyeh Pass as an off afternoon hike after Highline but maybe Hidden Lake would be more realistic. I guess time for an early happy hour is not such a bad thing.

Andrew
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

HoustonHiker wrote:Thanks Pete! I was trying to wishful think the Spery stay into possibility.

I feel confident a Rising Sun cabin opening will show up in the next 4 months. Maybe 1 night out of 10 in a real bed would be nice.

I was thinking of Siyeh Pass as an off afternoon hike after Highline but maybe Hidden Lake would be more realistic. I guess time for an early happy hour is not such a bad thing.

Andrew
Hey Andrew. :D

When you finish at Logan Pass. Take a break, then hike out to the False Summit of the Dragons Tail.
Same trail as Hidden Lake until you get to the top of Hidden Lake pass.

About 7 miles round trip and 1500ft of gain/loss. That includes going to the Hidden Lake overlook on the way out(or back).
The elv change is fairly spread out. The trail is the Mt Reynolds mountaineering trail, easily followed.
You can see over half the route from the Visitor Center.

The views are awesome. 8)

This was August 13, 2016
Slideshow http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Geeze ... e%20Summit

George Carlin
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

Than looks like a nice destination, Pete. Is the route fairly easy to find and fairly safe?

My Gaia GPS app shows publicized routes to Hidden Lake, Mt Reynolds, and a third destination. Is Dragon's Tail southwest of Mount Reynolds and slightly southeast of Hidden Lake?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

HoustonHiker wrote:Than looks like a nice destination, Pete. Is the route fairly easy to find and fairly safe?

The destination is really super considering how simple getting there is.
The route is very easy to find. As for "safe", watch my video from Aug 27th 2014.
The "trail" doesn't show on most maps because it is not an official GNP trail.

And everyone should obey the rules regarding staying on the trail, and NOT wander off into the meadows, etc.

I pointed out some(3?) of the narrower places out on the Dragon's Tail proper. They're as bad as it gets--and video makes them look scarier than they are in reality.
This a great hike. You really should give it some thought.

My Gaia GPS app shows publicized routes to Hidden Lake, Mt Reynolds, and a third destination. Is Dragon's Tail southwest of Mount Reynolds and slightly southeast of Hidden Lake?
Yes, that's it. I miss spoke on the video at one point calling a spur ridge that runs off Reynolds--- "Heavy Runner". :(
You can't see Heavy Runner from where I was when I said that.
The video will show you better than I can.
Incidently, you are ON the Continental Divide when walking out the Dragons Tail proper. So when you straddle a "skinny place", you have one foot West of and one foot East of the Continental Divide,
Just do it! 8)
Who knows. you might see me up there, especially if the weather's good.
I try to get up there every chance I get on good clear days--if...
I can get away from work or I'm not already hiking elsewhere. Went up 3 times in 8 days one year LOL!

George Carlin
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by tibber »

that is one awesome picture Pete. WOWsza!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

tibber wrote:that is one awesome picture Pete. WOWsza!
Yeah, that one took a bit of careful doing. 8)

It took 4 tries before I got the one you see. It's hard to see the viewfinder on my little Sony P&S camera in bright light.
I had to adjust the shot angle a couple times. The tricky part was getting back down in position before the 10second timer went off.
Had be careful scrambling back down the loose rock to that outcropping. ~1800ft to the water and I didn't have a parachute that day. 8)
It is a great spot for a good picture.
I love going out there. :D

September 21, 2014 taken a few feet from the one above. Click it.

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That is a great spot and a great photo Pete. Dragon's Tail is so easy to get to that I tend to mentally mark it down a notch. Ya know, it's the "you have to walk a mile on your lips through busted glass to really find a great vantage point" mentality. I need to get back up there and just hang out, drink some Patron, chillax. Sitting down below on the beach is also a great view point looking up.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

Pete, you're awesome, love your pics!!
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

I just watched the video and that looks like a GREAT hike, Pete! I will definitely plan on doing that one with Siyeh Pass as a plan B.

Andrew
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

I like the wildlife shots, too. Goats crack me up. If that goat standing in the middle of the trail could do it, he'd be giving you the middle finger. 8)
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

If you're looking for a place to stay in the Rising Sun area, you could also see if a cabin at St. Mary is available. Might increase your chances of finding something.

Pete,
That second one made my stomach flip. Don't fall!!! :D Great shots.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

First!!\
I would like to apologize to HoustonHiker--Andrew for hijacking his thread on where to stay.
Andrew, it's all in the interest of me/us trying our best to give you some ideas on having a terrific, FUN visit out here.
I hope you know that.
Keep thinking and planning. It'll make your visit that much better.

Cheers

pete
:wink:

Jay w wrote:That is a great spot and a great photo Pete. Dragon's Tail is so easy to get to that I tend to mentally mark it down a notch. Ya know, it's the "you have to walk a mile on your lips through busted glass to really find a great vantage point" mentality. I need to get back up there and just hang out, drink some Patron, chillax. Sitting down below on the beach is also a great view point looking up.
Jay
Hi Jay! Yeah it is a nice little hike isn't it? :D
I've loved it ever since Toddnick took me up there in 2011? And folks in good shape like you, can get up and back in no time.
Great place to chill. I've been up there 2 or 3 times and surprised how calm it was.
One day it was so calm and quiet, I could hear people talking down on the lake.
Wouldn't be a good place though in a T-Storm. 8)

cdsmith379 wrote:Pete, you're awesome, love your pics!!
Thanks CD :) I'm not so much awesome as simply very lucky to live out here.
That gives me lots of opportunities to hike and get some good pics. I'd go every day if I could!

HoustonHiker wrote:I just watched the video and that looks like a GREAT hike, Pete! I will definitely plan on doing that one with Siyeh Pass as a plan B.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. The Dragon's Tail is a wonderful hike. If you have the time and energy, you should do it. Just pray for a nice day.
HoustonHiker wrote:I like the wildlife shots, too. Goats crack me up. If that goat standing in the middle of the trail could do it, he'd be giving you the middle finger. 8)
Yeah, goats are very cool to watch and photograph. And you're likely right about that goat giving us the middle finger. The goats out here do believe they own the trails. I tread carefully around these old Billy goats. In my limited experience, they often don't like "giving way" when you meet them head on hiking.
Best to step well aside--I prefer to the down hill side if possible--and wait them out. Nannies with kids--same deal.

brindledog wrote:If you're looking for a place to stay in the Rising Sun area, you could also see if a cabin at St. Mary is available. Might increase your chances of finding something.

Pete,
That second one made my stomach flip. Don't fall!!! :D Great shots.
Thanks Meg :) I dunno. I love high places with views looking down like that. And I do take care making those shots. I've read the articles on people killing themselves making selfies. I was making selfies long before the term was even thought of. There's more to it than just running up to a spot and snapping a frame. Those are the people who end up falling off a cliff.

Among other things...
I make sure I have GOOD SOLID foot position. Relax and breathe. No leaning. Careful about head movement--your body tends to follow your head motion.

Same deal with the animals. Yes, I chat sometimes around animals, but...
Believe me, I watch those goats, sheep, bears, all of them very closely
All that said, animals are always deemed to be unpredictable.
One day I may miss something and regret it. That's how life is out here--for me 8)
I'm good with it.

George Carlin
HoustonHiker

Post by HoustonHiker »

PeteE wrote:I would like to apologize to HoustonHiker--Andrew for hijacking his thread on where to stay.
Andrew, it's all in the interest of me/us trying our best to give you some ideas on having a terrific, FUN visit out here.
I hope you know that.
Keep thinking and planning. It'll make your visit that much better.

Cheers

pete
No worries, Pete. All of your information is very useful and much appreciated.
brindledog wrote:If you're looking for a place to stay in the Rising Sun area, you could also see if a cabin at St. Mary is available. Might increase your chances of finding something.
Thanks for the tip, Meg.

Return to “Lodging”