General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

lmkucala
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Looking for Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent - 8/17-8/18

Post by lmkucala »

Hi -
I noticed folks have posted when they are planning to cancel reservations so was hoping if someone is planning to cancel at either Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent (prefer MG) on these dates they could respond to this or let me know. I need a room that will sleep 3 people.

I lucked out and was able to find an opening at Apgar Lodge for 1 night on 8/16 and currently have backup reservations in St. Mary but REALLY would like to get into the park, especially since we will only be able to be there for 3 nights total and hope to do as much hiking as possible.

I am also continuing to search on Xanterra (I look several times daily) but so far no luck. Any tips on when the best time is to look or anything else that might help would also be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Lisa
Jen

Re: Looking for Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent - 8/17-8/18

Post by Jen »

There will be cancellations as we approach the season and people firm up their plans. Just keep checking!
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

check the St Mary KOA; that's where I got a place for a couple nites.
lmkucala

Post by lmkucala »

Jen wrote:There will be cancellations as we approach the season and people firm up their plans. Just keep checking!
This is what I am hoping happens! It's been very weird. When I first started looking about a month ago there was nothing available in July and August. Then last week for a day there were several days at Many Glacier available in August (just none that fit my dates) for about a half a day, and now for the past week nothing again the whole month! I'm almost wondering if one person books a bunch of dates when lodging opens up for reservations, and then cancels when they finalize their plans.
indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

You might have better luck calling. I have found the website isn't always up to date and have secured reservations by phone that haven't shown up on the site. It usually doesn't take too long to get thru unless it is the first day of the month. Good luck. I just got a lakeside/balcony room at Many for early Sept.
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

lmkucala wrote:
Jen wrote:There will be cancellations as we approach the season and people firm up their plans. Just keep checking!
This is what I am hoping happens! It's been very weird. When I first started looking about a month ago there was nothing available in July and August. Then last week for a day there were several days at Many Glacier available in August (just none that fit my dates) for about a half a day, and now for the past week nothing again the whole month! I'm almost wondering if one person books a bunch of dates when lodging opens up for reservations, and then cancels when they finalize their plans.
Definitely keep checking - random rooms open up all the time, and there are lots of people out there ready to re-book them. I successfully booked a trip 3-weeks out last year with Xanterra cancellations.

It is weird sometimes looking at the Many Glacier openings. Every so often, one day with 6 different room types will pop up. It makes me wonder if a tour company had that day reserved, and was able to release it? Some people book multiple rooms, then cancel when they have their final plan together. Other people legitimately need to cancel their vacation. Sometimes one room will stay open for several days, sometimes it gets taken within hours. I tend to open a search window in the morning, and refresh a few times a day when I think about it.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Lots of August dates opened up for Swifty tonight! Unfortunately, not the ones you are seeking but keep checking!!!
lmkucala

Post by lmkucala »

Jen wrote:Lots of August dates opened up for Swifty tonight! Unfortunately, not the ones you are seeking but keep checking!!!
Thanks yes I'm checking daily. Also the ones at Swiftcurrent (at least that are there now) only sleep 2 and we will need room for 3.

One showed up today for one of our days at MG, and by the time I went to book it (seconds later!) was already gone. Just shows you really have to look often and book right away when you see it!
southernguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by southernguy »

We have added a roll away on 2 different occasions at Swiftcurrent and slept 3

Jim
lmkucala

Post by lmkucala »

southernguy wrote:We have added a roll away on 2 different occasions at Swiftcurrent and slept 3

Jim
I didn't know they allowed this. Can you do this even when it says it only sleeps 2?
southernguy
Donator
Donator

Post by southernguy »

We asked for one when we made the reservation and it was in the room both times. 2 twins and a cot.
I believe their exact words were that we could have one if it is available. Turned out well so far.

Jim
lmkucala

Post by lmkucala »

I scored! This morning there was one of the newer large 1 BR cabins (with bathroom!) at Swiftcurrent - available for almost every day in August! I was able to grab one for my dates. I'm really happy with this even though I thought I would have preferred MG over Swiftcurrent after doing some research on the rooms I think this is definitely better then one of the value rooms at MG, about half the price of a Lakeside room at MG, and they look like nice little cabins right by the trails. Originally I thought I would "take what I could get" and then keep looking for a better room if I didn't like what I found but I think I can stop looking as I don't think I would prefer anything else over what we got!

I also really like the proximity to Fishercap Lake. I know my husband (and maybe me) will be heading over there at dawn and dusk both days we are there to look for moose!

I'm thinking someone must have had this cabin booked for pretty much the whole month of August and just cancelled this. I just checked again now out of curiosity and it looks like most of the days have been snagged up but there were about 3 left I think.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

lmkucala wrote:I scored! This morning there was one of the newer large 1 BR cabins (with bathroom!) at Swiftcurrent - available for almost every day in August! I was able to grab one for my dates. I'm really happy with this even though I thought I would have preferred MG over Swiftcurrent after doing some research on the rooms I think this is definitely better then one of the value rooms at MG, about half the price of a Lakeside room at MG, and they look like nice little cabins right by the trails. Originally I thought I would "take what I could get" and then keep looking for a better room if I didn't like what I found but I think I can stop looking as I don't think I would prefer anything else over what we got!

I also really like the proximity to Fishercap Lake. I know my husband (and maybe me) will be heading over there at dawn and dusk both days we are there to look for moose!

I'm thinking someone must have had this cabin booked for pretty much the whole month of August and just cancelled this. I just checked again now out of curiosity and it looks like most of the days have been snagged up but there were about 3 left I think.
Good for you!!
Patience and persistence pays off.
The cabins are right behind the Swiftcurrent Inn.
You can relax and enjoy evenings on the Swiftcurrent Inn veranda.
Afternoon/evenings, the parking lot is a gathering place for people scoping out sheep, goats , and the occasional grizzly bear on the ridge behind the Inn.

5 minute walk to either Iceberg lake trail head or Swiftcurrent Pass trail head for Fishercap--evenings are sometimes good for moose too.
Take bug repellent. Mosquitoes are bad at times.

Enjoy

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Lodging”