Siyeh Bend to Piegan Pass to Jackson Glacier Overlook

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

thorn726
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Siyeh Bend to Piegan Pass to Jackson Glacier Overlook

Post by thorn726 »

While i know the big suggestion is the Highline we really enjoyed going up to Piegan Pass instead. Multiple Glaciers, very few people, and you get to walk a couple miles on the CDT... Some start at Siyeh bend, go over Siyeh pass and down to Sunrift Gorge, seemed like most of the few hikers we saw were headed that way. This is a little shorter and less elevation.. WHY i chose this route/ Mainly i wanted to be in some deep Montana Forest, and i wanted a good look at a Glacier or two./ it's not all about the views- and then there are the Views/ Wow, Piegan Pass is spectacular. Photos and videos made me want to see it in person and yeah/ better in person. The elevation is just enough you feel it and looking over that drop/ Wow. See Piegan Glacier along the way with views back to Jackson. The side leg down to Jackson Glacier Overlook looked like it saw even fewer people, was way overgrown- did not impede travel but made you feel that much farther away from it all even when only a mile from the road.
Approximately 9 miles round trip with around 1700 feet of elevation gain/loss. Afterwards we ended up taking the shuttle east from Jackson to St Mary's and back just to see the sights/ Fantastic. Saw a grizzly from the bus. While we skipped the Highline, Hidden Lake Overlook is of course recommended and a hearty hiker could knock both of these out in one day. I suggest making that a LONG summer day though// was really nice to take it slow and enjoy being there. Deep forest, some big exposed views, talked to some CDT thru hikers and one guy who day hiked to Piegan Pass from Many Glacier- a Very Long DAy hike!! / and Glaciers... Highly recommend it if you are looking for something a little out of the way and don't mind being in deep forest without a view for much of the hike.
I have a video of the hike but it is pretty long so there are links in the description which will skip you ahead to the highlights.
There is more stuff from Glacier in the playlist some you might find useful but most are of the standard tourist sites.
video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpuJvE6 ... vR&index=3
Had planned to post this at the start of this season but better late than never i guess, Piegan Pass will be there for an epoch or two i think.
PeteE

Re: Siyeh Bend to Piegan Pass to Jackson Glacier Overlook

Post by PeteE »

Nice report and video. :)
Piegan Pass is a nice hike. I just went up there recently. 8)
I too love the views looking back towards Siyeh bend as well as the great look you get at the east side of the Garden Wall.
Although the marmots didn't make much of an effort to catch those chicks, I just read recently that they are omnivorous.
I didn't know that. I couldn't quite tell but those may have been ptarmigans, and not grouse. I think, but do not know, that grouse prefer the lower elevations.
If so, you were lucky since few people get to see the ptarmigans in GNP. They are getting scarce due to the diminishing permanent snow cover.

Glad I got to meet y'all and hope to see you and Roxanne again.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
thorn726

Re: Siyeh Bend to Piegan Pass to Jackson Glacier Overlook

Post by thorn726 »

Thanks, Excellent! Great info about the ptarmigans! looking at photos you may be right that is extra special... possible the marmots wanted to eat the chicks, i have heard they might have been just chasing them away from the grasses they both like but seems very probable they would eat a tiny chick, why not? they look tasty to me! // for a "forest" hike this one does end up with a lot of good views, really a best of both worlds hike i think. I'd like to do it again and try one of those off trail climbs, or add in Siyeh Pass for a super long day.
// pretty sure we'll be back 2021, we've already more or less decided that is happening. With so many hikes along the shuttle route, and have not been to many glacier yet.. we're going back, hopefully every third year if not more often, from now on. This summer we're relatively local and next summer it will be UT. This weekend we're heading into the Sierras for a few nights backpacking followed by a few days boiling in the desert, death valley is only a couple hours from the east side of sierras, plus a Yosemite backpack in Sept// not to mention already made 2 trips to the desert since april... did a Crazy off trail climb 2 weeks ago you would probably love Roxana wanted to kill me for taking her along hahaha // anyway good to hear from you and as always thanks for all your photos, nice to stay connected to what is going on over there by your posts

Return to “Hiking”