Miche Wabun Trail / North Fork Belly River Trail ?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mort&Linda
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Miche Wabun Trail / North Fork Belly River Trail ?

Post by Mort&Linda »

Last year we casually looked for the Miche Wabun Trail / North Fork Belly River Trail as we hiked out to Chief Mountain from the Belly River R. S. We didn't see it or any sign of the 3 mile campground that is on some maps. We think it is no longer maintained, but thought it might still exist. It looks like you would have to ford the Belly River in any case, but we will be there late August/September so maybe the ford isn't a big problem. However, we're desert rats and don't like fording streams. I guess we want to know has anyone been there recently and is it worth thinking about?
"The idea of wilderness needs no defense, only more defenders"--Ed Abbey
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Miche Wabun Trail / North Fork Belly River Trail ?

Post by llholmes1948 »

There is a previous short discussion of this trail in this thread:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=1601

It appears from the Park trail status site (if I understand it correctly) that about 4.8 miles of this trail is still an official trail and apparently receives some limited maintenance.

Lyman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Ear Mountain »

I'm not sure how much remains of the Three Mile BC camp site. It was located on the outside of a large meander bend of the Belly River. Quite a few years ago now a particularly large high water event took out the campsite and a good chunk of trail. The trail has been reconstructed farther from the river to avoid this in the future.

The Miche Wabun trail does exist but receives only minimum maintenance. Reaching the trail requires a difficult ford of the Belly River. The first half to three-quarter mile is through prairie and there is no obvious trail bed. Most of the rest of the trail is in forest with few views. One section goes through a swampy area of springs and seeps that are wet all through the summer into the fall. As the trail approaches the North Fork of the Belly River, and while still several hundred feet above the river, it has been obliterated by a huge rock slide. From that point to the river is more or less like an off trail cross country scramble. I think the primary use of this trail is for backcountry rangers and customs officers to patrol the border for illegal activities.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Ralph,

Thanks for the update on this. Since that part of this trail from the three mile campsite to the North Fork of the Belly River (4.8 miles as I recall) is listed on the Park's trail status page, I assume that section is still an official trail and receives, or is eligible to receive some maintenance. Since the remainder of the trail from the North Fork of the Belly River to Miche Wabun Lake does not appear on the trail status site, does that mean that it is officially abandoned and receives no maintenance?

I posed a question in the earlier thread about a ford of the North Fork of the Belly River and the location of the trail from there to the lake but it has never been answered. Maybe someone knows the answer:

"Here is some further information from Ruhle's 1972 guidebook:

Trail starts across Belly River from Threemile Campsite, three miles from Chief Mt. customs and 3.2 miles from Belly River Ranger Station. Requires ford of Belly River. Route runs north for 3 miles then turns west and curves around Sentinel Mt. then drops to North Fork where there is a ford at 6.8 miles. Ruhle warns that ford is not safe during high water.
Trail follows south bank for 3.6 miles to Miche Wabun Lake.

Query: If you have forded the North Fork, you would be on the North bank. How do you then get back to the South bank? Ruhle doesn't indicate another crossing but perhaps it is at Miche Wabun Falls one mile above the North Fork ford. Maybe it is a typo."

Lyman
Mort&Linda
Donator
Donator

Post by Mort&Linda »

Thanks for the information, Ralph and Lyman. It always amazes me that you can get such detailed information on this site. I think we will cross this trail off our list for this year at least. Thanks again for your help.
"The idea of wilderness needs no defense, only more defenders"--Ed Abbey
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I believe what's left of the trail gets some maintenance, as I mentioned to enable patrol of the border area. My experience indicates that the downfall is cut out every couple of years or so. After going around Sentinel Mountain the trail is obliterated by a big rock slide. I don't know when that happened but it probably put an end to much use of that trail. Mt experience indicates that beyond the rock slide the trail has been overgrown to the point that it is no longer passable. The old trail did cross the NF of the Belly then go up valley and crossed back to the south side below Miche Wabun Falls. I've been up the valley to a point above Miche Wabun Falls and believe me you do not want to try to follow that trail. For all practical purposes it is gone. I also know of another individual who tried to hike in to Miche Wabun Lake. He abandoned that attempt because the trail is gone. I suggest doing like most of us and cross it off the "to do" list.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Thanks for the information. I had visions of venturing up to Miche Wabun Lake, camping for a few nights, and climbing Miche Waburn Peak. Sounds like this would be quite the adventure, and would be very difficult to say the least.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
ManyGlacierSean

Post by ManyGlacierSean »

Ear Mountain... are Miche Wabun Falls worth the ford(s)? (I know from firsthand experience that the Belly River runs pretty swift well into August) And did you ever reach Miche Wabun Lake? I realize the trail is obliterated and that the lake must be almost inaccessible at this point, but part of me wants to get there all the more, if just for the reason that it now must be one of the least visited parts of the park.

Distressbark... perhaps this could be our last hurrah this upcoming late September? Bring the machete and we might be able to hack a new trail into place. :wink:
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Return to “Hiking”