Trail Status - Route Finding Skills, Ice Axe, Streams

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Trail Status - Route Finding Skills, Ice Axe, Streams

Post by Ear Mountain »

Many GlacierParkChatters ask about trail conditions especially in spring or early summer. Many come from areas where these kinds of hiking conditions are completely foreign. Here is some info that maybe helpful.

The Trail Status pages on the Glacier Park Website are very helpful to determine the conditions that might be encountered on a given trail. This is especially useful in spring as trail conditions change from those typical in winter to summer conditions. It might be sunny, dry and clear of snow at the trailhead but hazardous conditions may still exist at higher elevations.

The Trail Status often mention that deep snow may require route finding skills; steep snow may require the use of an ice axe; and swift unbridged streams might be hazardous. Here's a few pics to somewhat illustrate these Trail Status entries.

Route finding skills required. Trail encounters deep snow. The snow here was observed to be at least 6 feet deep but the ground underneath was not seen. There is no evidence of the trail. In this instance at least the slope of the snow is not too steep. If one is lucky there will be footprints to follow and the snow will be soft. Early in the day though the snow may be rock hard and all footprints from the previous day might have melted away. One has to either know where the trail is going or choose a route that will avoid dangerous areas like tree wells or steep slopes.

Ice Axe and the knowledge of how to self arrest required. This snow is steep! If it extends for any distance a slip and fall could result in a high speed tumble down the slope. What if the snow ended in a cliff or big talus area? An ice axe is essential. One must also know how to use the ice axe to immediately and automatically self arrest.

Water Hazard. Swift, cold water and treacherous footing exist at unbridged stream and/or river crossings. Footwear with good traction, and stream/river crossing skill and experience are strongly advised. Remember that streams often increase volume of flow during the afternoon on warm sunny days. Streams that were fairly easy to cross in the morning may be much more interesting in late afternoon.
Mindalynn
Gender?: Female

Re: Trail Status - Route Finding Skills, Ice Axe, Streams

Post by Mindalynn »

Thanks for the info! I'm planning my first trip to GNP June 24-July 3 and it's definitely good to know what I'll be up against!

I've been looking at the NPS website at the trail status and scheduled trail clearings, but I don't understand exactly what is meant by the info they have there. For instance, here is one trail's info:

-------------

Dawson Pass to Pitamakin Pass/ 3.3 mi.

Initial clearing scheduled for: Complete 7/23/10 per 650

Snow cover: 0%

Tree Down: 0

------------------

So, does this mean that before 7/23 the trail will probably be closed? But why, if there is no snow cover? (I'm thinking the 0% is probably not updated?) Can anyone clue me in here?

I know I won't be able to predict exactly which trails will be open when I visit and which won't, but I'd like to at least get a feel for which ones are most likely going to be off limits so I can plan accordingly. (No ice axes for me!)
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Mindalynn wrote:I've been looking at the NPS website at the trail status and scheduled trail clearings, but I don't understand exactly what is meant by the info they have there. For instance, here is one trail's info:
Dawson Pass to Pitamakin Pass/ 3.3 mi.
Snow cover: 0%
Tree Down: 0
------------------
So, does this mean that before 7/23 the trail will probably be closed? But why, if there is no snow cover? (I'm thinking the 0% is probably not updated?)
I know I won't be able to predict exactly which trails will be open when I visit and which won't, but I'd like to at least get a feel for which ones are most likely going to be off limits so I can plan accordingly. (No ice axes for me!)
Mindalynn,
I'm thinking that the Trail Status pages are not yet completely up and operating for this year. The word Complete is a leftover from last season. I'll explain the Dawson Pass to Pitamakin Pass report you posted as I see it right now:
1. Ranger 650 (I do not know who that individual is) has scheduled Initial clearing for 7/23/10. After that initial clearing is done the status will be changed to something like
This means initial clearing was completed on 7/23/10.

2. The report says there is 0% snow cover. To update this to the correct figure requires a patrol out on the trail. As of now (04/26/10) no one will have made that patrol. You can be sure there is plenty of snow on that section of trail. And 1-3 feet more are in the forecast for the next few days.

3. The report says there are no trees down and blocking the trail. Again to update this to the correct figure requires a patrol out on the trail. Since the trail is under snow and any downed trees present would not be seen there is no report yet. In actuality that section of trail is above timberline and would never have any trees down on it.

The report will also contain other information gleaned by the patrolling individual. Lingering snowbanks, need for ice axe, route finding ability, rock slides and trail closures are all possible entries.

The Initial clearing date is the date that a trail crew is scheduled to go through that section of trail removing any downed trees. The date is set at a time when all or at least almost all of the snow can be expected to have melted off the trail. The date is also dependent on other trail work the crew is required to do such as installing suspension and other bridges, repairing damaged trail sections and other general trail work. Seems like July 23, 2010 is a reasonable date to set.

Prior to that initial clearing date the trail is not closed. The date is just the date that the trail crew is scheduled to remove debris. Most trails are open and passable before the initial clearing date, others may have snow, water or other hazards.

For the latest trail information go to the ranger station nearest that trail. For the Dawson Pass to Pitamakin Pass trail that would be the Two Medicine Ranger Station. They will have the latest info on snow and other hazards. Especially those hazards that change quickly like snow.

The Dawson Pass to Pitamakin Pass section of trail might be only have 1-3% snow cover in July. That snow might be in steep snowbanks though. Typically there are 2-3 places where snow lingers on this trail and they are on the sides of Mount Morgan near and west of Cut Bank Pass. Sometimes it is possible to hike around the snow going above or below it. Other times it is not so check at the Ranger Station for the latest info.

Now for trails in remote valleys, especially those on the west side like Coal Creek, Ole Creek, Park Creek and others you can expect that there will be a fair number of downed trees covering the trail. And some of the less used trails are not initially cleared until late in the summer. Hiking those trails prior to initial clearing could be a challenge. A downed tree could be a single tree trunk 6 inches in diameter lying across the trail or it could be a huge tree lying along and completely blocking the trail. Enough of the latter and you have to put in a lot of additional effort to hike that trail. Even so those trails are not "closed" prior to initial clearing.

Trails are closed for various reasons mainly having to do with bears and visitor safety. Closures will be clearly stated in the Trail Status reports and signs will be posted at trailheads to indicate exactly where the closure is.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here's the "Glossary of Terms" from the main trail status page.
Glossary of Terms
Throughout the sub-district trail segment lists the following terms are used:

Initial Clearing - initial maintenance work done by park crews to clear downed trees or any other obstacles that may hinder travel. Other maintenance activities such as brushing, erosion control and special project work may take place at any time of year and should not greatly hinder travel.
Snow Hazard - sections of trail traverse steep, sometimes icy snowfields. Dangerous snow bridges may also exist. An ice axe, and the skill to safely execute a self arrest are strongly advised. Crampons may be helpful. Sturdy hiking boots suitable for over-snow travel, a map and compass, and route finding skills are also necessary.
Water Hazard - swift, cold water and treacherous footing exist at unbridged stream and/or river crossings. Footwear with good traction, and stream/river crossing skill and experience are strongly advised.
Map and Compass - sections of trail vanish under deep snow for more than one mile. There are no obvious landmarks to assist the backcountry user with trail direction. A 7.5 minute quadrangle map and compass, and associated route finding skills are necessary.
Stock Use Not Recommended - sections of trail may exhibit one or more of the following conditions that impede and/or make stock use particularly difficult or hazardous: heavy or extremely large downfall or other obstacles, damaged trail corduroy or bridge planks, extremely muddy or boggy trail sections, heavy snowpack on trail.
Hazard from 2003 Fires - where the trail crosses an area burned by fire there is a chance of falling snags, falling / rolling rocks on hillsides and unstable tread where roots have been burned out.
Mindalynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Mindalynn »

Thank you, that's very helpful.
Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Kathy »

Thank you, Ralph, for puttin' this together.
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
bluemountaincoffee
Donator
Donator

Post by bluemountaincoffee »

Mindalynn wrote:Thank you, that's very helpful.
Truly, thank you so much, Ralph... Finally I know what those "trail report" means... Good job.. :D
balou44
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by balou44 »

Pocketlint wrote:
PS

What's with the guy crossing the stream? He still has waist belt and sternum strap connected?
easy there big fella that water is only knee deep and that dude is showing great form IMHO

that dude is one of the most respected climbers in all of Northwest Montana IMHO

he know's what he's doing IMHO
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

balou44 wrote:
Pocketlint wrote:
PS

What's with the guy crossing the stream? He still has waist belt and sternum strap connected?
easy there big fella that water is only knee deep and that dude is showing great form IMHO

that dude is one of the most respected climbers in all of Northwest Montana IMHO

he know's what he's doing IMHO
I knew it LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
I wrote a PM to a guy on here telling him I knew I would catch he11 for /posing/posting that question :)

I'll take your word he knows what he's doing. Absolutely! The guy looks VERY fit, using poles well, etc.
This is not a "personal" rap on the guy (or Ralph for posting the picture).

I thought one of the points of the original post was to show how to cross streams properly (whatever that means).
HockeyRef reminded me(unnecessarily, but thanks anyhow HockeyRef~!~) about undoing pack when I asked about the Cosley Lake outlet. Everything I ever read said to undo waist belts and sternum straps( although I usually leave my sternum strap buckled since it helps keep pack from shifting too much). And I do it depending on what I believe the risk is. Knee deep water can be very dangerous if flowing fast enough. You mistep, step in an unseen hole...down you go and can be swept into all sorts of trouble.

Now yes, it is a matter of individual judgement for each person to make. The fellow pictured may not need to undo straps, but I repeat...I was under the impression this was a "how to" post...demonstrating proper technique, etc. in which case he would have undone his waist belt to show the technique...even though he personally wouldn't ordinarily do so in the stream shown.

This may be a bad analogy but it's like a "gun expert" being seen handling a gun "sloppily".

Fair enough?

If that was not the intent of the post, then I will withdraw my question....at least rhetorically, since I can't actually withdraw the question at this point.

pocketlint :wink:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Pocketlint wrote:I thought one of the points of the original post was to show how to cross streams properly (whatever that means).
The purpose of this topic was to show what conditions might be like when the Park Service Trail Status pages makes certain reference. There is no-way it can be a "how-to guide" for route finding, ice axe use or stream crossing.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The GNP Trail Status Page wrote: Trail Status Summary

The following generalization is provided for your convenience to better understand what you may encounter when backpacking in Glacier.

May 1 – June 30 Early Season
Trails are often muddy and covered in puddles or flowing water at lower elevations. Water crossings are deep, swift, and cold. Seasonal suspension and plank bridges start to be installed in late May. Expect snow cover at higher elevations and be prepared with map and compass skills for route finding, and ice axe and crampons for crossing steep slopes. Snow conditions can change daily: icy in the morning, soft in the afternoon. Backcountry Campgrounds earliest scheduled openings begin June 15th, but the Belly River region in the northeast and the North Fork region in the northwest are often accessible in May.

July 1 – July 31 Transition into Summer
Trails dry out and firm up at lower elevations. Melting snow presents dynamic hazards at higher elevations, ice axe often recommended. Seasonal suspension and plank bridges are all installed by mid-July. Ptarmigan Tunnel doors open in mid-July. Snow drift blasting and treading is completed by Trail Crew by the end of July. The majority of the backcountry campgrounds are open by mid-July although the routes connecting the campgrounds may still be impassible.

August 1 – Aug 31 Accessible High Country
Generally, snow and water hazards are gone although water hazards may suddenly re-appear after thunderstorms. Backcountry Campgrounds are open but may close at any time due to bear activity or forest fire for days or weeks.

September 1 – November 20 Autumn
Some Septembers are as nice as August, but there is a now a greater chance of significant snow fall. Snow storms may deposit lingering snow, requiring map and compass skills for route finding. Snow hazards may begin to develop. Bears are most active at this time of year, foraging for up to 20 hours a day. Seasonal suspension and plank bridges are all removed by late September. Ptarmigan Tunnel doors close by late September.

November 20 – April 31 Winter
Campgrounds go into winter status.
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/t ... eports.htm

Return to “Hiking”