Okay, I have a question for all of you?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mzambo
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Okay, I have a question for all of you?

Post by Mzambo »

Just reading through this along with Todd's link as well, and although we have only done 2 trips to Glacier so far it got me thinking how difficult this question is to answer. Truly the answer is whatever trail you happen to be on at the time.

Each trail offers it's own magic, it's own uniqueness.

I love Grinnell Glacier, I think it has it all. Alpine vista's, waterfalls, Grinnell Lake, the chain of lakes, and of course the glaciers.

Siyeh really captured my heart this year. So diverse! Again a bit of everything on this hike. Preston Park, waterfalls, views that take your breath away, glacier, gorges, WOW! I'll never forget the false summit and my "holy S--T! Well when you go over the pass and see that trail below you it really makes you wonder what you got yourself into, BUT OMG I would repeat this one over and over again too.

As I am becoming a Glacier addict, I'm finding the hard part to figure out which is the "next" hike, and which ones you have to try to pass on repeating. I don't know if I could ever go to Glacier and not do HIdden Lake, that short hike is just breathtaking! Makes me feel like I am in the Alps!

Iceberg Lake, the un-named meadow and little lake (I decided to call it Meadow Lake) just before the lake and the color of the lake itself... WOW!

I know Avalanche gets alot of negative reviews, maybe it is because it was our "first hike in Glacier", but I think the destination is very special.

Dragon's Tail this year, although we did not complete it, the views from the first saddle were outstanding.

Again each trail has it's special characteristics that imprint upon your memory forever!

Such a speical place! My dream is that one day I can do what Chip did this year, and share it with our girls.
Chip
Gender?: Male

Post by Chip »

Marie don't wait....... Take the kids as soon as you can.
jamesdak
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by jamesdak »

Late to the post but I'll chime in. My views are sort of the same as some of the others. Each hike is a gem in and of itself. I can go all day but am limited with a bad knees and back. I also usually have around 30 lbs or so of camera gear so I'm even slower to make sure I don't "blow out" anything. So my day hikes may be shorter than most just do to the speed I can go. But the other beauty of this is that I have learned to really see all the small beautiful details in ever foot of the trip.

I think last year's favorite was actually Rose Creek up to Otokomi Lake. I barely saw anyone the whole day so that helped make it really cool. All the running water along the way was a treat as I love waterfalls of any size. Up top in the pines by the lake was wonderful until the biting flies found me. They seemed particularly attracted to my bug repellant. They did make me retreat back out to the open slope where I sat for awhile and just enjoyed the quiet. I have the whole place to myself except for one hardy fisherman on the lake itself. Marmots were all over and kept me entertained for awhile. But the real treat were all the passages along the water. Made a stop on the way back at one waterfalls pool and couldn't resist a swim. After that I sunned on the rocks and then continued back. Had to rush the last mile or two as a storm came in but I made it back before the weather.

And, that was also the hike with quite a bit of fresh bear poop on the trail both ways. Even found what appeared to be a den about 15 yards off the trail up top where it was still in woods yet passing along the side of a ridge.

The worse hike last year had to be the trail behind sunrift gorge that heads to Piegan Pass. The nasty huckleberries were all over the place and I couldn't stop eating and eating and eating. Needless to say, I didn't make it far that afternoon, LOL!
guzzishop
Gender?: Male

Post by guzzishop »

Been hiking Glacier since the mid-80's, and my favorite GNP hike will always be my next one!

This summer, my son and I hope to hike Boulder Pass and Hole in the Wall. We have an approved 6-day itinerary - I say "hope to hike" because I know the trail could be closed for any number of reasons. My main fear is another bad fire season. Hope the North Fork is not affected!
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." Steven Wright

Return to “Hiking”