Trail condition status question

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ptguard
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Trail condition status question

Post by ptguard »

planning on hiking to sperry chalet on the 25th from the long way in. would appreciate any update as to trail conditions thru gunsight pass. did this 3 years ago & it was iffy crossing the snowfields & just prior to getting to the pass we had to hike up & around a wall of snow/ice where the trail ended. wife says she's not going that route this year if it's as tough as last time but we are going a week later & it seems as if the snowpack isn't as much this year. thanks in advance.
PeteE

Re: Trail condition status question

Post by PeteE »

I talked to one of the back country rangers who regularly petrol the trails in that region this past Sunday at Logan Pass.
He told me that he crossed Gunsight Pass last week and it was passable.
There's just a little snow left in that snow field just before the pass(like what is usually there in mid August), but it's well tracked through and not a problem to cross.
So you'll probably be good to go.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
ptguard
Donator
Donator

Post by ptguard »

thanks for the info. the wife will be thrilled. :D

would love to run into any others that might be doing the same hike or in the area when we're there. our itinerary is: Friday 7/24 - belton chalet, sat - sperry, sun, mon, tues - many glacier hotel, wed, thurs, fri - marina cay lodge in bigfork.
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

check out Sperry chalet website for a recent update from Kevin...it sound like it's passable as Pete said (keeping in mind the one snow hazzard before the pass)...since you have another 2 weeks to ago, it will likely melt some more by then..
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

macchia wrote:I talked to one of the back country rangers who regularly petrol the trails in that region this past Sunday at Logan Pass.
He told me that he crossed Gunsight Pass last week and it was passable.
There's just a little snow left in that snow field just before the pass(like what is usually there in mid August), but it's well tracked through and not a problem to cross.
So you'll probably be good to go.

Well... I must apologize. :(
What I said turns out to not be accurate in view of the information I'm posting below.
This afternoon, Sunday, I went to the Apgar BC Office and asked them about crossing Gunsight Pass.
Yes,it's "crossable". It just depends on what one considers "crossable".
I'm thinking the ranger who talked to me about crossing Gunsight may have meant "crossable" by me, since he was talking to me.
And he knew I had come down from Siyeh pass the day he surveyed it.
I guess I interpreted that as meaning the pass was crossable by the "average hiker"(me).
So I apologize.

It looks like Gunsight still has three snow fields to cross.
The run outs notwithstanding 8) ...They don't look too bad to me, but I'll acknowledge they could be terrifying to others.
These pics are from July 4th and were posted on the bulletin board in the BC office today.
The most relevant information is the "Update" on July 8th.
The ranger I spoke to in the BC Office today emphasized how the conditions of those snow fields change daily, and sometimes rapidly.
Right now there's water in varying amounts flowing underneath the snow.
The "snow bridges" created can be treacherous to cross. It's hard to know how strong or stable the snow bridges may be.
It's been five years since I last crossed Gunsight pass--only been across twice.
I remember thinking as I crossed backed then that slipping through, and/or stumbling and falling, wouldn't be a good move.

Lots can happen in 2 weets, but...
I'd be checking with the BC Office upon arrival in the park and get the latest info on Gunsight pass.

Maybe these are on GNP Facebook page. I don't know. I don't do Facebook.

Perhaps someone out there can "orient" us on where the photographer was standing when these were taken and the direction lens is pointed.
I think I figured it out, but I'm not certain and I don't want to mislead anyone...again :(

Number 1
Number 2
Number 3

George Carlin
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by liketohike »

Pete, thanks for clarifying things..
here's a quote from the Sperry site, so I don't mislead anybody either...

"We are getting some initial reports from a few hikers attempting Gunsight Pass. The route is unusually clear of snow for this early in the season. There is still a dangerous snow field across the trail near Gunsight Pass, but it is reported as easy to scramble around.

The Gunsight Pass Trail is best for experienced and ambitious hikers. Be sure to plan for up to ten hours of hiking, bring extra food and water, and be prepared for the exciting water crossing at the head of Lake Ellen Wilson. If you are unsure of your own hiking abilities, we recommend using the Sperry Trail from Lake McDonald Lodge to visit Sperry Chalet."
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I just hope ptguard sees this "revised" post. I hate to spoil their expectations :(

George Carlin
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

We are staying one night at Apgar & then that morning we need to get to the Gunsight pass trailhead - we will be hiking the trail to Sperry & spending the night there - I'm a little concerned about getting to the trailhead early - I don't think the bus will be an option I"m afraid it will get us there for too late of a start - is there enough parking at the trailhead?
Kim
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

poky5mom wrote:We are staying one night at Apgar & then that morning we need to get to the Gunsight pass trailhead - we will be hiking the trail to Sperry & spending the night there - I'm a little concerned about getting to the trailhead early - I don't think the bus will be an option I"m afraid it will get us there for too late of a start - is there enough parking at the trailhead?
Kim
I'm concerned about trailhead parking for Gunsight Pass, too. I think usually there is enough space if you get there early to start your hike. This year, there might be issues with the parking area being closed due to construction/paving. It was closed this past weekend, according to the Sperry Chalet webpage. I'll be watching before my trip to see if they report the trailhead parking being open or closed.
http://www.sperrychalet.com/whatsnew.php
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I'm leaving in a few minutes to drive over there and look for myself.
Maybe hike up Lunch creek a little ways and take some snaps.

I'll let y'all know about Jackson Overlook later this afternoon, or more likely, this evening.
We should all keep in mind that the situation with both the Gunsight trail, as well as parking at Jackson overlook, is "fluid"...
And subject to change without much notice.

The traffic may really suck. I have to will myself to be patient, never easy for me these days! 8)

Later...

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

I think #2 and #3 are looking toward the pass from the switchback before you would cross the final snowfield below the pass. Hard to tell where #1 is taken from.
ptguard
Donator
Donator

Post by ptguard »

macchia wrote:I just hope ptguard sees this "revised" post. I hate to spoil their expectations :(

thanks for the update. we will continue to check this thread but as of now we still plan on making the hike from this direction. the fields were larger than this 2 years ago & I think having done the hike once from this direction will help. we'll hike down to lake McDonald on Sunday rather than go back across the pass again.

Return to “Hiking”