Harrison Lake

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Harrison Lake

Post by toddnick »

I have Snyder lake on my September agenda but it is looking like that will likely be closed for at least another few weeks.

As a substitute, I'm considering hiking Harrison Lake while staying at Apgar Campground.

Does anyone have information regarding the difficulty of the ford of the Flathead currently and whether it is likely to be doable around 9/7?
wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Harrison Lake

Post by wnysteve »

Todd,
I did the ford to the Harrison Lake Trail on a Sept 26. I am guessing that the water level then would be similar to what it would be on Sept 7 (that is, low). My notes say "water knee deep, with splashing to thigh level. No problems".

If I remember correctly, you don't usually use hiking poles, but you will be more secure if used in this case. While not deep, there is current to consider. The Apgar Backcountry Office can provide a ford map, and possibly current conditions.
indiana hiker
Gender?: Female

Post by indiana hiker »

Since you are willing to ford the river, have you thought about Loneman Lookout?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Todd:
I talked to my rafting friends who raft the Middle Fork.
River was way down in mid July when they last were there. They said lots of people were crossing that ford. Its just down river from the Moccasin Creek river access. Probably really low now since there's been no rain since then. I cant imagine it being hard to cross now.

pete :wink:

Ps edit add. I think ill go lok at the ford now before i go home
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Thanks.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Im at the Bc Office where I confirmed the ford location. One the Rangers was just up there. Said the deepest place was about knee deep...he's 6'4" like me. Trail is ok but goes through some brushy areas where visibility is not great. The BC office has an aerial photo that they give out showing the ford location. It changes every year during spring flooding.
They also point out to find the trail as its not obvious after fording river.
Its hard to see turn for the parking area when driving east. Its just after Ousel peak trail sign.
If you miss it, turn around at Moccasin creek access and go back.

pete :wink:

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

EDIT NOTE:
I fixed some errors and added another short video link:

On the way to Moccasin Creek, I picked up some good tasting water at the spring in the Bad Rock Canyon pull off.
People from all around the Flathead get water here to take home for drinking and cooking.

Just happened to be some rafters putting in at Moccasin Creek when I was there

Here are two short video clips that show the ford area.
Actually I made the first clip before walking up river where I made the 2nd clip.
You can see the "BIG rock" near the end of the first clip.
Even though there wasn't much doubt this was the right place, keep in mind that I made both videos before I confirmed that this was the correct location. 8)

This was when I first dropped down to the river bank. I'm pretty sure I could wade across the river at this point if I had to. Better to go back up river and do as I described in the second video.

First clip runs about 80 seconds

Second clip runs about 90 seconds.

Here's a few pics of the area where you cross the Middle Fork.
I believe it's easier to go to Moccasin creek access and turn around there and drive back to the SECOND pull off after turning around.

Walk down the two track road past the gate until you see the orange topped "fiber optic cable" post in this pic.
Go to your right(up stream) and walk about 50 yards and cross the RR tracks.
There will be a path through the weeds near the big "V" twin trunk tree down to the river--the large lone tree in upper right of frame.

Look up river and spot this BIG rock--the only big rock you'll see in the immediate area.
This is the first part of the crossing.

Cross here to the big gravel bar. Looked maybe knee deep today

Walk down river on the big gravel bar to this point where you can cross to the next gravel bar down stream. Cross here to the bar on the left.

Walk a short way until you reach this point where you can cross two easy places to the far bank below that tree line. From there it's a bit of a bushwhack to the LEFT along the tree line down stream for about 1/2 mile(according to the rangers) until you intersect the South Boundary Trail. The ranger emphasized that the route to the trail is not obvious. I'm sure a GPS might help, especially if it shows the South Boundary trail

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Pete, I was just there on August 22nd in the afternoon. I crossed the river but couldn't find the trail. I found an un-maintained fisherman's trail that kind of petered out. The ford of the river was very minor. I don't think the water reached my knees at any time.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “Hiking”