Recommended Bear Protection While Hiking in Glacier

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

For bear protection I hike with:

bear bell(s)
No votes
bear spray
94%
bear horn
No votes
no bear protection
6%

Total votes: 18

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Recommended Bear Protection While Hiking in Glacier

Post by tibber »

Thx for insight everyone.

Now if you could just tell those people who text me or share "bear stories" just before I head to Glacier, I would appreciate it :lol:
daschmit
Gender?: Male

Post by daschmit »

For readers of this thread, I ran across a webpage with some interesting tidbits of info concerning bear behavior. See http://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/dispelling-myths/. Some of the most interesting myths debunked by the author, presumably a wildlife biologist, are the following:

Myth #6: If a bear charges you, climb a tree.

Fact: Despite all their timidness on the ground, black bears seem to feel more courageous in trees. Bears sometimes kill each other by throwing their opponents out of trees. The bear below has the advantage because the bear above cannot easily hang on and face downward to fight back.

Myth #11: Carrying a rifle is safer than bear pepper spray.

Fact: A person’s chance of incurring serious injury from a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear pepper spray is used (Dr. Stephen Herrero). Those injured defending themselves with bear pepper spray experienced shorter attacks and less severe injuries than those who chose to use firearms (US Fish and Wildlife Service). Click here to read the full report. Bears are actually attracted to pepper spray residue if it is sprayed on the ground or on objects. Never spray it around a tent or on yourself. When used defensively, pepper spray must be sprayed directly in the attacking bear’s eyes or nose. Click here for more information.

Myth #12: One of the most dangerous encounters is getting between a mother black bear and her cubs.

Fact: Because black bears can tree their cubs, it is rare for them to attack a person in defense of cubs. However, if you are anywhere near a mother grizzly’s cubs, she might very well perceive you as a threat. The chances are good that she will just bluff charge and stop well short of physical contact. You need to do whatever you can to show her that you are not a threat, otherwise the consequences could be tragic. Be quiet, make yourself smaller and retreat.

Myth #15: Play dead during an attack.

Fact: Playing dead will work if you’re being attacked by a mother grizzly defending her cubs. But it is the wrong thing to do if you’re being attacked by a predatory bear. If a bear attacks (particularly a black bear) in an offensive manner and physical contact is made, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find. A predatory bear usually stalks its prey and attacks from behind. It is often silent and the bear does not exhibit any defensive behaviors like huffing or slapping the ground. Its ears may be laid back and its head held low, with its intent focused directly on you. See our Play section for more information.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

I did this just for the heck of it Sunday when I hiked out to Big Prairie. Video runs about 1 minute.
I have a few outdated canisters so I may do a "demo" first chance I get.

pete :wink:

1 minute
https://peteandclyde.smugmug.com/The-No ... /i-8mXXvsD

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Hiking”