Significant increase in Glacier trail use

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Significant increase in Glacier trail use

Post by llholmes1948 »

Link to an article in the Hungry Horse News. Interesting and scary statistics in this study although I hope the study's authors did not spend a great deal of money in determining that July and August are the busiest months in Glacier:

http://www.hungryhorsenews.com/breaking ... july_alone
thorn726
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Significant increase in Glacier trail use

Post by thorn726 »

I always like to see the numbers, would love to see them get broken further to time and day of week... saw a trail cam on Hidden Lake boardwalk section that may be helping count tourists, was about head high... it was crowded, but not terrible...
Hidden Lake Overlook trail after sunset, Sunday July 15 from 8-10 pm we saw only about 15 people on their way out and shared the Overlook with 2 photographers with tripods and only 3 or 4 other tourists who left soon after we arrived, were alone on the trail back to the car, but of course we did not get much of a view in the near dark. July 20 i head up at 9 am and it was a constant stream of people on the trail but still nothing like the crowded parts of Cal or UT Parks. The Overlook had a good crowd that left pretty fast and i chatted with some older local guy for a good while with very few new arrivals... Logan Parking was nuts and yeah, it's crowded on the trail, but really not that bad for what a Gem it is and how easy the hike is.

Return to “Hiking”