Thoughts on Upcoming Hiking Trip (Sept. 8-15)

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

TNsoccer07
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Thoughts on Upcoming Hiking Trip (Sept. 8-15)

Post by TNsoccer07 »

Good afternoon,

My name is Sean. I used to frequent this site several years ago (~2007-2010) and am glad to see that discussions are still alive and well here! :D

I have been to Glacier three times (2006, 2008, and 2013) and have hiked many of the most popular day hikes (Avalanche Lake, Hidden Lake Overlook, Highline-Swiftcurrent Pass-Many Glacier, Siyeh Pass, Gunsight Pass from St. Mary to Lake McDonald, Pitamakan-Dawson, Scenic Point, Cobalt Lake, Cracker Lake, Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, and Bullhead Lake).

My return to Glacier (much anticipated) comes in roughly 2 1/2 weeks (September 8-15). I will be traveling with my wife (married ~1 year) and my parents. My wife has never been to Montana, and it has been a dream of mine to take my "future wife" to Glacier. My parents have been to Glacier several times (most with my siblings and I when I was in high school and college). My wife and I have two nights reserved in Hungry Horse and five nights reserved near Kiowa/Star outside of Two Medicine/Cut Bank

Here is our general itinerary:
September 8 - arrive in West Glacier (stay in Hungry Horse)
September 9 - west side of park - ideally drive GTTS Road, but I am aware of closure due to Howe Ridge fire and likelihood it may not reopen between Apgar and Logan Pass; back-up plans of floating Flathead River, exploring Flathead and/or Swan Valleys, berry/cherry picking and/or dragonboat festival (if not cancelled) (stay in Hungry Horse)
September 10 - drive GTTS Road (if open) or Highway 2 around park to Two Medicine (stay near Kiowa)
September 11 - Many Glacier - perhaps Iceberg/Ptarmigan, Grinnell, Bullhead, or Cracker (stay near Kiowa)
September 12 - East side of GTTS Road, perhaps Highline, Hidden, or St. Mary/Virginia (stay near Kiowa)
September 13 - Cut Bank area of park - perhaps Medicine Grizzly or Triple Divide - or may go to Two Medicine or Many Glacier (stay near Kiowa)
September 14 - Many Glacier - perhaps Iceberg/Ptarmigan, Grinnell, Bullhead, or Cracker (stay near Kiowa)
September 15 - Depart via FCA

I understand that conditions are very poor in terms of visibility and air quality currently but am confident we will still enjoy our trip in this beautiful park. I am going to post in this same Hiking topics section about suggestions for hiking in smoky conditions, as I am unfamiliar with these conditions (lived in TN/NC) and am somewhat concerned for my mom and (to a less degree, due to fitness) my wife.

My past visits to Glacier have been in early July, late July, and early August, so we are going at a "new" season for us. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on our general itinerary or things that might be of special interest during our time in case air quality conditions prevent us from fully engaging in day hikes.

Thanks for your helpfulness in advance!
Sean

Return to “Hiking”