Utah 2018 Fall Trip

Been to another area? Post your photos here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Badgerhiker
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Utah 2018 Fall Trip

Post by Badgerhiker »

This is a continuation of my post about the Sand Dunes. After I left the Sand Dunes I went to Page AZ, Grand Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, and Arches National Parks. It was an amazing trip. I knocked off 4 bucket list hikes on this trip by doing Antelope Canyon, hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and doing the Subway and the Narrows in Zion. I'll post the Grand Canyon pics in a different thread because it's an amazing park and I took to many pics of it.

1) Horseshoe Bend
It's hard to see but there are blue rafts at the bottom with people camping. It helps give the landscape some scale.

2) Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon is very commercialized and overcrowded but if you keep your expectations in check it's still worth doing once in your life. It's an incredibly beautiful place.

3) Archangel Falls Zion
This falls is on the Subway hike. The 1st 3.5 miles involves boulder hopping up a stream bed. The last half mile is when the scenery gets good starting with this falls. This hike requires a permit to keep the crowds down. In 8 miles of hiking I saw only about 20 people.

4) The Subway Zion

5) Crossing the narrow section of Angels Landing

6) The Narrows Zion
In the cold months this hike requires water boots, neoprene socks and dry pants. The water is ice cold and in places the pools are waist deep. I rented gear from one of the many outfitters in Springdale for about $40 or $50 from the night before to 5 or 6 PM on the day of your hike. It was well worth the money, I stayed dry and warm all day. I meet two young guys hiking barefoot. they told me once their feet went numb it wasn't to bad. Yeah, I guess that way you don't feel your toes breaking against all the rocks in the river.

7) The Narrows
It was so dark in this spot my shutter speed needed to be at 20 seconds for correct exposure. With a couple seconds to go a person walked into the frame. I thought the pic was ruined but a photographer next to me said if he keeps moving he'll ghost out of the picture. Sure enough, the person disappeared from the photo. Very cool!

8: The Narrows

9) The fall colors were peaking in the Narrows which made it even more beautiful.

10) Capitol Reef
This is such an underrated park. 1st, the scenery looks like this and 2nd there's no crowds.

11) Capitol Reef

12) Arches

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Utah 2018 Fall Trip

Post by tibber »

really FABulous Fotos! It is a beautiful area to hike. I've not done the Narrows but have done the Landing and some of the smaller hikes in that area. Your picture at the Narrows is really great; especially cuz of the water.
Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the other areas you photographed. Really like photos for sure!
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Great pictures!

Your Angels Landing picture is terrifying! I made it to the top, but doubt I'll ever do it again! I enjoyed the Observation Point hike much more.

Capitol Reef is still on my list - I spent a week at Arches/Canyonlands, and a week at Zion/Bryce, but no time for CR yet.

Looking forward to the Grand Canyon post. I hiked to the bottom a few years ago, and hopefully will go back soon.
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Crossing the narrow section of Angels Landing: The picture is almost too much for me to see. Looks very scary.

Very beautiful, all of them!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Your images are really great. I can't find an adequate superlative for them :)
A real inspiration for a wannabe like me.
Thanks for sharing.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Really great photos, can't wait to see your Grand Canyon shots. Thanks
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

tibber wrote:really FABulous Fotos! It is a beautiful area to hike. I've not done the Narrows but have done the Landing and some of the smaller hikes in that area. Your picture at the Narrows is really great; especially cuz of the water.
Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the other areas you photographed. Really like photos for sure!
Thanks tibber! The Narrows is an outstanding hike. I highly recommend it.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

al_in_al wrote:Great pictures!

Your Angels Landing picture is terrifying! I made it to the top, but doubt I'll ever do it again! I enjoyed the Observation Point hike much more.

Capitol Reef is still on my list - I spent a week at Arches/Canyonlands, and a week at Zion/Bryce, but no time for CR yet.

Looking forward to the Grand Canyon post. I hiked to the bottom a few years ago, and hopefully will go back soon.
Thanks al_in_al. This is the second time doing Angels Landing. It's not terrifying, it's fun! :D After mountain climbing in Glacier that summer Angels Landing didn't seem so bad this time. I also knew what to expect after doing it once before. Glad you like the pics.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

brindledog wrote:Crossing the narrow section of Angels Landing: The picture is almost too much for me to see. Looks very scary.

Very beautiful, all of them!
Thanks for the compliments brindledog. Yeah I wouldn't recommend Angels Landing to anyone with a fear of heights. I saw one poor girl up there on her hands and knees frozen in fear. She wasn't having much fun. Luckily she didn't make it very far so she didn't have far to go back.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

PeteE wrote:Your images are really great. I can't find an adequate superlative for them :)
A real inspiration for a wannabe like me.
Thanks for sharing.

pete :wink:
Thanks for the kind works Pete. Your to modest about you photography skills. I've seen your pictures, they're excellent.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

paul wrote:Really great photos, can't wait to see your Grand Canyon shots. Thanks
Thanks for looking Paul. Glad you like them.

Return to “Non-Glacier Photos”