Fall and Winter 2015 Around the Flathead

Been to another area? Post your photos here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Fall and Winter 2015 Around the Flathead

Post by PeteE »

Hey Dave:
I misled you. I have PS11that is "current". PS11 will not read/load the RAW file formatted by the conversion program I downloaded. That file converts Sony's proprietary RAW file format to a .dng RAW file. Then .dng RAW files should be able to be edited in PS11. My PS11 doesn't seem to recognize .dng RAW files either.
The conversion program i downloaded appears to only be able to save files in .dng format.
So i can convert and edit .dng RAW files, but can't save the edited RAW file in .jpg form in either program.
See my problem?

Thanks
Pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Normally these days, the camera comes with a converter included in the disc that they give you with the camera, or you might have to check on the sony website, they should have the software available for download, I know I had to download it for my father when he purchased his sony.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

daveparker wrote:Normally these days, the camera comes with a converter included in the disc that they give you with the camera, or you might have to check on the sony website, they should have the software available for download, I know I had to download it for my father when he purchased his sony.
Thanks Dave:

I figured it out, Operator error :)
Man, does this A77II take some sharp pictures with it's 35mm lens.
Read a license plate from a pic from over 50 yards away when you look at the image full screen!

pete :wink:

I'm gonna try to get out to the park in a little while for some test shots---assuming weather/snow allows it.
I'm still "working" 8)

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Looking forward to seeing more of what that new camera can do, Pete!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

teapot57 wrote:Looking forward to seeing more of what that new camera can do, Pete!
Thanks Teapot :)
However....there's an old old saying that goes like this:
It ain't the gun; it's the gunner.
Same with cameras.

I learned a few things today, so it was ok.
Crappy day for scenes, but good nuff for a few of Clyde.
I shot 30-40 frames(in slow burst mode) that would have had a few good ones but for....
I had ISO =100 instead of Auto. Result was shutter speed of 1/60sec :( :(
Really bad.
In all fairness, this 35mm lens was never meant to be used like I was using it.
Had ISO been 500, it may have turned out different.
Still fun learning basics.
Thanks Tina

Here is a shot that turned out ok. Both are like they came out of the camera, just scaled down in size.

On the full size jpeg image you can see tiny scratches in his bill, TINY little hair like feathers around his eye. I love this stuff

I liked this one two.

George Carlin
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

Jeepers, he's rockin' a soul patch! I never noticed that before.
Sue Z
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Sue Z wrote:Jeepers, he's rockin' a soul patch! I never noticed that before.
Clyde is quite a character. Makes a great subject.
Tahnks

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I received my zoom lens today for my new Sony A77 II.
Sony f3.5-5.6 16-105mm zoom. I like it a lot. I do need to get a 62mm polarizing filter for it.
Here are two pics from today on the way home. Typical Spring day with sunshine, snow/graupel showers.

I pulled over on the side of Rose Crossing to take a few shots.
While I was making pics, in the space of 10 minutes, two cars stopped to ask if I needed help. :!:
First car happened to be a couple I know who live nearby.
"We saw you and stopped to make sure you were ok..." Love them.
The second vehicle was an old beater like Squeeze driven by a gnarly, grizzled old fellow about my age with "farmer" written all over him.
"You OK?" he asked.
I said, "Yes, I'm good. Just stopped to take a few pictures. Thank you for stopping and asking."
The old guy replied, "Hey, we Montanans gotta stick together."
And with that he drove off.
It was a bit of an emotional moment for me.
Trust me when I tell you that doesn't happen everywhere.
I love my adopted state. :D

pete 8)

I was parked here.

I have always liked to cut over to Trumbell Creek rd via Rose Crossing. Nice view of the mountains. Today you can see how the variations in the weather as it approaches the mountains.
Off to the right is another snow squall. Sunshine in the middle and grey and cloudy farther north on the left.
35mm lens(normal lens). Looking at the full image, you can clearly see allthe way to the red car. Beyond the red car is a yellow zig zag street sign. I like the sharpness of this lens

Same spot different view. Shot with my new Sony f3.5-5.6 16-105mm zoom at 24mm for this shot. Again, very sharp in the full frame.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Doug<
I had similar experiences back east too. I too love the people here. :)

This is a picture of my old Minolta 35mm camera and the lenses that came with it.
The "kit", I bought in 1970 while on my 1st WestPac deployment to Viet Nam, came with the camera body w/58mm f1.4 normal lens, a f2.8 135mm tele, and an f2.8 35mm wide angle lens.

I bought the "beast", the 2.5 pound, f4.5 300mm lens on my 2nd WestPac deployment in 1972. This lens is still used by some people today as it was always a good quality lens...and it'll reach out there too. The "point of view" is same as a 450mm lens since the A77II is a "chopped frame" format camera.
Not all bad because what is chopped away is the perimeter area of the image. What you get is the center portion which usually has less distortion, flare, shadowing, etc.

So my 300mm may come in handy. My 300mm is an "MC" version which has a tripod mount on a rotating ring that can be locked down.(In the pic above, the locking knob on the right side near the rear of the lens.
The camera/lens combo is far better supported with tripod mounted to lens...plus...
This makes it easy to get a dead level horizon. The Sony a77II has an "artificial horizon" feature, that appears in both the LCD and the viewfinder, that is VERY handy imo. Simply rotate the mounting ring until the "tilt" is perfectly level.

My old 35mm Minolta gear

I also have these two zoom lens from same time period. I doubt they will be useful even though they will work on my A77 I.

And so I tried it out the 300mm and the 135mm this afternoon.
All things considered, they produce very good images.

Leaning out my BR window, hand held braced, 1/100sec f11 300mm. Sign is a block away on Baker ave. A 1/250 sec would have stopped the SUV too.

This is the 300 looking towards Doris Peak from the via duct in Whitefish. Doris peak is about 14-15 miles away here. It's one of the higher peaks you see across the valleyfrom the Glacier Airport. again 1/100 sec f8. Twas on a tripod but there was vibration from trains, traffic, and wind so I should have shot it at 1/250sec.

This is the 135mm out my BR window. The sign is about 30 yards away.

Shot from tripod from top of via duct bridge on Baker Ave looking towards the train station. The truck was about 100 yards, maybe more away. f11, 1/100sec, 300mm

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

WOW!!!

Looking forward to some amazing photos with your new camera this summer!

Tina
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Come Pete, that STR101 has some life left. "Take me for a spin..." it pleads. :D

Congrats on the new purchase.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

The weather wasn't really too great Saturday so I didn't get any good landscape type shots, just a few of Clyde.
I talked a a couple folks including a nice US Border Patrol agent. I asked him, "Did you get lost looking for the border?".
He laughed. And during our chat he confirmed that that "unmarked installation" on Mt Hefty was a relay installation of theirs.
Really a good guy.

The auto tracking focus on my 16-105mm zoom works pretty well. Clyde was walking around on my truck box for this one so it wasn't easy keeping him "full frame".
You can see my reflection(orangeshirt) in his eye. The auto tracking focus feature should help me a lot with animal pics later on.

16-105mm zoomed to 75mm. Shutter Priority, 1/200, f5.6, ISO 800. The histogram looked pretty good. I did diddle with the contrast and exposure slightly to get his "blackness" like I wanted.
8)

This is a cropped version of the above. ~800x800pixels whereas the original is ~4000x2700

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I've driven it hundreds of times but I still I love driving through the "Swan" going to Missoula. I highly recommend this route if you are driving between the Missoula area and Kalispell. I also drive this way going to Helena. Yeah, it's a few miles and minutes longer, but well worth it. I find the drive FAR more interesting relaxing than driving US93. However, you are free to drive US93 with its towns, traffic lights, traffic, cops, etc. etc.
8)

cheers

Daybreak yesterday, April 4th. I like the "virga" trailing behind the clouds as the front moves through the Creston area east of Kalispell

Through the windshield. MT83 through the Swan has miles of roadway like this. Over a 100 miles with no stop signs or traffic lights. I saw 4 vehicles yesterday between Swan Lake and Seeley Lake. Gotta love that. However, you do have to keep a keen eye out for animals on this road, especially early AM and evenings. I saw hundred plus deer on the way down and on the way back late in the afternoon. Deer like the new growth that always comes early on the road sides on MT 83. It runs north to south for long stretches allowing maximum sunlight on the road shoulders. 8)

I always stop to look and listen at this big meadow just south of the Holland Lake turn off. The view is beautiful and I always see and hear "something". This morning it was turkeys, ravens, pileated woodpeckers, and other bird life. Over the years, I've seen moose, elk, black bears, coyotes, LOTs of wildlife in this big meadow.

George Carlin

Return to “Non-Glacier Photos”