Snowgoose Grill?

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

rhughes
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Snowgoose Grill?

Post by rhughes »

A site search shows only a 2006 mention of the Snowgoose Grill at the St. Mary Lodge, stating only that it was overpriced.

Over the past 25 years off and on I've had some very good meals there, admittedly not budget priced, and the view from the dining room is terrific. I haven't eaten there for a couple of years and wonder what the reports are of recent meals.
Roy Hughes, Artist-in-Residence Glacier National Park, 2005
Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View
Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Snowgoose Grill?

Post by llholmes1948 »

Roy,

In case you haven't seen it recently, here is a link to the current menu:

http://www.stmarylodgeandresort.com/restaurants.php
rhughes
Donator
Donator

Post by rhughes »

Man, they've kicked the prices way up beyond non-budget and seem to have gone frontier gourmet.

In the "old" days you could get a great "normal" type meal of steak and such for a bit more than market price and it was really good. For a while the dinners came with what they called "scones" that were to die for. But that was in the days when the Black family owned the place and before it became the property of megacorp.

It's too bad really that what was once a very good, though pricey, eatery has given way to an expensive culinary boutique. I'd still be interested in hearing a review of what the food's like if anyone who has recently received an inheritance has eaten there.
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Post by flatlander »

It was ranked #5 of 5 of the Saint Mary's restaurants on TripAdvisor.com, seemingly more for the overpricing than the quality ... although a couple of the reviews didn't think much of the food or the service.
See http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... ntana.html.

I think we last dined there in 2008, and paid far too much for very mediocre food (at best), and even worse service.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

Oddly enough that is the spot I dined at while escaping a storm on the way to Many Glacier. I had the steak and cherry chicken (I think it was) the combo is about $30... a large meal, but a better deal than the single options. The food was perfectly fine and the service was actually quite good. Dare I say a refreshing change from the wait times and crowds at that famous pie place around the corner... and yes I did get my piece of pie... a couple days later after the three days of hiking.
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Ate at the Snowgoose grill yesterday after hiking in the park. We had eaten burgers before in the lounge/bar area that were only so-so and were pleasently surprised to see a completely different menu in the Snowgoose restaurant. I saw some previous comments suggesting that it's pricy - we found it's not not value dining (supper meals start around $15.99 and go up to $25+) but not ridiculously pricy for the quality/locale.

I had the pan fried chicken breast, my wife had a ravioli dish and our hiking companion Dan had a spaghetti w/ wild game sausage plate. Quality ranged from ok to very good. Portions were generous and our server (a gal from Colorado) was excellent, she continuously saw to it that our drinks were topped up.

Another plus was the children's menu (we had to ask for it) - our 2 year old son had a spaghetti dish with a fruit plate, which was a large serving and good quality / value (something 5 bucks).

Our toddler stayed entertained while waiting for the food (which was not very long) by playing in the lobby with that gigantic stuffed blackbear and looking at children's books in the shelf they keep stocked for hotel guests.

Overall a pleasant family dining experience and we'd probably go back.

*edit for clarification... The lounge has a different menu from the restaurant... I was not implying that the restaurant has recently changed its menu!
Last edited by trevbo on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Post by flatlander »

Perhaps GP Inc has begun to put a little more emphais on their food quality, and not just take advantage of their near monopoly market. We had a fantastic dinner at Many Glacier this year, good pizza at Swiftcurrent, and very happy with the offerings and the service at the Two Dog Flats Grill at Rising Sun.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

this is the first year GNP inc has managed the snowgoose grill. haven't eaten there but the prices are at least half of what they were w the previous ownership. the menu and prices seem very reasonable now.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

I worked at St Mary in 1976 and the food was good, prices reasonable. I filleted the whitefish every morning and cooked the turkey dinners. The pastries were fresh and pretty dang good. The menu and prices have changed quite a bit with changes in ownership. Hopefully having GPI take over will be a good thing. The view from the cafe and from the Rising Sun cafe are a couple of my favorite memories about the eating in the park.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Also note that the last few years, after the resort was sold by the Black family the food, service and prices were probably the worst in the park area. I hear GPI is doing a fairly good job.
rhughes
Donator
Donator

Post by rhughes »

It's been four years since my original post about the Snowgoose. Since I'm heading for Glacier after Labor Day I'm wondering if anyone has eaten there recently and can offer a report. Thanks.
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

I had breakfast there a week or so ago. It was good, a touch expensive, but nothing crazy. An omlete for $12. I'd be willing to try it again for a dinner sometime.

My family used to love the snowgoose 10-15ish years ago. I went once about 5 years ago under the previous ownership and it was a terrible value, but as others have said, now that GPI is in charge I'm thinking/hoping its on the rebound.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

We just had breakfast at the Snowgoose two days ago. It was good, the service was excellent and the prices were comparable to the rest of the park. The waitress was great, she was from Slovakia and this was her fourth year working for GPI. She was glad that she was not working for Xanterra and proud of her employer. I am not sure what all the differences are in the companies, but having happy, proud, and efficient employees is a big plus. GPI has been good for St Mary"s Lodge.

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”