Park Cafe-2016

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Park Cafe-2016

Post by PeteE »

Sunday morning ND, his cousin, good friend, and I ate breakfast at the Park Cafe in St Mary.
Our first clue should have been we were the very first customers, the only customers at the door when they opened at 0700.
We all ordered eggs, a meat, "hash browns", toast, and coffee....from a waiter that was not particularly friendly.
When our breakfast arrived I was immediately really ANNOYED. :twisted:
My "scrambled eggs" were actually chopped up fried eggs---a chopped mix of egg white and egg yoke.
The toast was two tiny slices of some nondescript white bread barely browned--and dry.
My sausage was this preformed pale disgusting looking "patty" that was rubbery tough and bland tasting.
Our "hash browns" were a curious mix of green and red peppers? small hunks of potatoes and who knows what else.
I've never seen "hash brown potatoes" like that in my life...and I've been to 49 states and 5 continents over the last 50 years.
I didn't touch that skimpy lil portion of "potatoes".

The other guys had eggs over easy that they said were awful as well. Over cooked.
Price? about $12.50 with the coffe if I remember correctly. What a deal--not.
ND and friends stopped by the Park Cafe Saturday night and one ordered a chocolate milk shake.
When delivered he said it was more like chocolate milk, a thin gruel like mixture.

Am I being hard on them? I don't think so.
We drove by last night about 9PM and there was NOT ONE CAR in the lot--and they were open.
None of us ever saw the lot anywhere near full at any this past weekend.
I haven't seen the lot anywhere near full all season.
Never mind lines of people waiting to get a table like when it was under the old management.

And so I don't believe our assessment is unfair. nobody is going there.

Personally, I give it just one star out of a possible five, one star only because I didn't get sick. 8)

pete :wink:

PS
I'll do a "lame video" on how EASY it is to make "perfect" scrambled eggs 8)
A breakfast cook who can't make basic egg dishes is not a cook imo.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Re: Park Cafe-2016

Post by PeteE »

When delivered he said it was more like chocolate milk, a thin gruel like mixture.
I forgot to add:
Adding insult to injury as they say---
This excuse for a "milkshake" cost him $6.00

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

My "lame video", Perfect Scrambled Eggs, presented without comment 8)

runs 5:50

pete :wink:

George Carlin
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

I'll have 2 eggs, scrambled, with toast and cottage cheese at 8 am tomorrow, please. :D
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

PeteE wrote:...and I've been to 49 states and 5 continents over the last 50 years.
My inquiring mind wants to know what's the one state you haven't been to. :D

My family is leaving tomorrow morning for our annual 1st week of August at the Flathead Cabin. My mom hasn't been to Glacier since the 80s so we're going to do a day trip one day and will probably eat somewhere on the east side. I remember the last time Braeden and I ate at the Park Cafe, we were very disappointed. Glad to have a reminder that things haven't changed (and maybe has gotten worse) so we won't waste our time stopping there. I was thinking maybe taking them (it will be my daughter, SIL, Braeden, 2 little grandkids, and me) to Two Sisters. Or is there a place in East Glacier that you would recommend? We'll probably go that way home.

No hiking this trip as we're coming home right after the week. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been reading and loving yours and other people's trip reports. Please keep them coming. :arrow:
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Deb,

Serrano's in East Glacier has never disappointed me. Good food. Generous portions. And a backpacker's hostel to boot! 8)

If you don't want to have to wait in line, get there early. (I *think* they open at about 5:00?) Or, reconcile yourself to the wait, order a cold beverage and hang out on the porch or in their back yard and relax. There are usually interesting conversations to be had with strangers! :wink:

I really do miss the old Park Cafe. I'm still boycotting that establishment, but from what I've heard from folks who have eaten there the last couple of years , the new version of the Park Cafe simply can't hold a candle to the old one. The owners really blew it when they forced the previous, longtime (decades!) managers out. 'Nuff said.

Thankfully, Kathryn is still making at least some varieties of her "Pie for Strength" pies. She bakes them in E. Glacier for the Rock and Roll Bakery & Gear Shop and for the Two Medicine Grill.

Good, hearty breakfasts at Two Med Grill too. Not 100% consistent but overall very good. And quite reasonably priced. I always eat there when I'm staying in the E. Glacier area.

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”