All About Babb

Have you had a good, bad or indifferent experience at a restaurant in the Glacier area? Let us know about it right here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

All About Babb

Post by PeteE »

I gassed up in the "thriving metropolis of Babb" 8) before heading back from my trip to the East Side May 11th.
So I thought I would post these photos and review here.

The Cattle Baron is located on US89 at the junction with the Many Glacier Road--just before entering "downtown" Babb 8). I've eaten there 3 times. The food was always good but the service was really slow. Nice ambience. The ladies room is good for a laugh. I'll let you check it out for yourselves ladies.

I like the Glacier Edge Cafe. Good breakfast fare and good burgers--my fave for dinner or lunch. Friendly staff.
They'll cook my burger like I want it too. Always a plus for me.

Thronson's Motel. If you can't get in at Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent, Thronson's might work for you.

Thronson's General Store. They sell the basics and they have Ice as well. Their selection is modest. If you forgot something, they might save you a drive.
Don't expect fancy deli stuff, "organic" food, or anything exotic. The Thronsons have been around Babb forever. Good folks.

It's a good idea to gas up whenever you get a chance while your visiting this part of Montana. This one is open 24/7

And now you know pretty much all there is to know about downtown Babb, Montana
. :D

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: All About Babb

Post by Heff936 »

Thanks for the info. Other than the Cattle Baron I haven't been to any of these places but often wondered about how the food might be at that cafe.

Heff
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

About 20 years ago, the Babb bar was featured on the front page of the WSJ, as the baddest cowboy bar in the US. There was a steak house called the Supper Club next door. Owned and operated by Bob Burns.
Pizza Bob

Post by Pizza Bob »

TSNB (Two Sisters Near Babb).

The absolute best greasy burger and fries after a hike. Yeah, it'll shave a month off your lifespan,
but it is worth it.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
indiana hiker
Gender?: Female

Post by indiana hiker »

On our first trip to Glacier in 1991 (I believe) we visited the Babb bar. It was six locals, 10,000 flies, three or four tables on a dirt floor and a pool table that listed badly to the left. We sat at a table near the pool table. When we went to get a beer the locals at the bar asked us to sit at the bar. It was one of those places you walk into and think "uh uh, should I be here". But the locals were friendly and we ended up having a good time. No one else ever came in. They even gave us two T-shirts from the bar. The one with the cowboy and his dog with bandages on their heads and teeth out stating "I survived the weekend at the Babb bar" got lots of wear and has since met its demise. I still have the one with the big horn sheep that reads Babb Bar and Lounge. Do you think it's a collector's item????
rayeraye

Post by rayeraye »

Pete--you forgot the sweet little mission church on the hill behind the gas station. For those of you who haven't seen it, it has a beautiful mural of Saint Mary's behind the altar.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

There is a new restaurant in Babb called The Hun's Den Cafe. I didn't eat there so can't tell you much about it other than its location-- on the east side of 89 near the post office.
ND

Post by ND »

That's good info. I like the Glacier's Edge Cafe too. Everybody is on to the Two Sisters and it always seems very busy. I have always considered Glacier's Edge my little secret. Up to now at least! :lol:
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pete,

Belated thanks for posting those photos of Babb. It is a great place and we have stayed there often. I remember about ten years ago we were staying at Thronson's at the same week that there was an air show at Kalispell. One morning before we left for a hike, we watched the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds (can't remember which) practicing their maneuvers over the reservation. It was a great show.

Thronson's Motel is right beside the highway and there is some highway noise. When we stay there we run the room fan during the night to muffle the highway noise and that has worked out very well.

We have eaten at the Babb Press, predecessor of the Glacier Edge, and it was fine. If I am not mistaken the restaurant building is owned by the Thronson family but is leased to others who operate the restaurant. I believe the Thronsons also own the gas station.

I find the supplies at Thronson's store to be a bit modest. I think the small supermarket at St. Mary has a larger selection.

A few years ago it was not uncommon to see people drive up beside the little church across from Thronsons. I thought they were there for a religious experience and was quite impressed. Then I learned that the knoll by the church was the spot in the area that got the best cell phone reception and that was why the locals were going there. However, during our last stay at Thronsons (2014) my kids found that cell phone reception had greatly improved and was great. They enjoyed catching up on their non-park life after spending a couple of days at Granite Park.

From the location it sounds like the Hun's Den Café may be the successor to the Firehorse Café. The latter never got very good reviews and was reputed to be cooking their burgers on a George Foreman grill. We of course now need a brave volunteer to check out the Hun's Den and report back. From the name it doesn't sound like the most inviting place.

In the 1970s at Lake McDonald I recall being warned by the more seasoned employees never to enter the Babb Bar. I recall hitchhiking in front of the place many times but never would I enter the place. It looked like a scene out of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

Lyman
Dusty in CT
Donator
Donator

Post by Dusty in CT »

Just returned from 3 weeks is Glacier. We did check out the Hun's Den (not a motorcycle bar) Hun's is short for Hungarian, as the owner is of Hungarian descent. Run by a man, wife and young boy (very cute). Variety of burgers, sandwiches and we had a chicken salad. Very good. Just starting up but clean, and very nice. Would go back.....
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Dusty in CT wrote:Just returned from 3 weeks is Glacier. We did check out the Hun's Den (not a motorcycle bar) Hun's is short for Hungarian, as the owner is of Hungarian descent. Run by a man, wife and young boy (very cute). Variety of burgers, sandwiches and we had a chicken salad. Very good. Just starting up but clean, and very nice. Would go back.....
Thanks for that very positive report. That information is good to know and I hope they do well.

Lyman
al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Dusty in CT wrote:Just returned from 3 weeks is Glacier. We did check out the Hun's Den (not a motorcycle bar) Hun's is short for Hungarian, as the owner is of Hungarian descent. Run by a man, wife and young boy (very cute). Variety of burgers, sandwiches and we had a chicken salad. Very good. Just starting up but clean, and very nice. Would go back.....
Agree, thanks for that report! I drove by last week but didn't stop - no one seemed to be there, and I didn't want to be the guinea pig. But I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.

I did stop my last morning for breakfast at Glacier's Edge Cafe, a favorite of mine. I tried the pancakes, since I heard customers raving about them last year. They were very good - and very large - I was quite proud to make it through 1.5. I do prefer their breakfast burritos (also large), though.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Good to know and thanks for your report.
I was going to eat there Sunday evening but got there too late. :(
Had too good a time yakking with here-we-go and her husband walking down to Fishercap Lake. And then talking with Jim Schroeder and his wife.
Yeah, yeah....I talk too much. I know, but I love it.
8)

pete :wink:

Here's a couple pictures of the Hun's Den. It's next to the Post Office in Babb.

And here is the little "Chapel on the Hill" that I neglected to include earlier as well. :D

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Dan, the sign man, Reinhart painted the mural in the church. A very talented artist who lives outside east glacier.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pete,

Belated thanks for posting those additional Babb photos. They are very nice and I hope you get to check out the Hun's Den sometime and give us a report.

Lyman

Return to “Restaurant Reviews and Recomendations”