GoHike's Best of 2011 in YNP

Have you visited another National Park, you would like to share, although most are Glacier Fanatics, we love to visit any National Park, let us know about your experience here!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

gohike
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

GoHike's Best of 2011 in YNP

Post by gohike »

Every year I tell folks that, "next year I'll put together a best of collection of photos," but I never do. I also require all of my students to put together their best 20 images from the semester and present them, so I figure I can handle it too.

I posted 20 "best of" images to my blog, below are the 13 shots that happen to be from Yellowstone. The entire collection can be seen here:
http://blog.shumwayphotography.com/2011 ... -2011.html

Don't forget that I have a gallery filled with five years of monthly trips to Yellowstone that you can look through:
http://www.shumwayphotography.com/Yellowstone

Enjoy

A male Mountain Bluebird enjoys the bounty of a spring hatch on a snow bank that still holds tight to Pebble Creek on a cloudy May afternoon in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS + 1.4TC III in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of +2 at ISO400, f/7.1, and 1/1250th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head with custom long lens support.

A sow Grizzly Bear uses a log bridge to cross over the water on a warm May morning near Grizzly Lake trailhead in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of +1/3 at ISO200, f/7.1, and 1/400th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head with custom long lens support.

A Cinnamon Teal Drake forages for food in a seasonal pond along the snow filled Swan Lake Flats in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS in manual mode at ISO800, f/6.3, and 1/125th of a second. The camera was resting on a beanbag.

A Short-tailed Weasel takes its prey back to its den in the trees along Sedge Bay in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS + 1.4 TC III in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of +1 at ISO200, f/5.6, and 1/400th of a second. The camera was resting on a beanbag.

A Sow Grizzly Bear enjoys a vole she caught while her "Cub of the Year" sits safely on her back just after an intense May snow storm broke near Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of + 1 2/3 at ISO400, f/5.0, and 1/160th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head with custom long lens support.

A pair of Grizzly Bears whisper sweet nothings near Steamboat Point during a late May snow storm in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS in manual mode at ISO400, f/8.0, and 1/500th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head with custom long lens support.

A male Calliope Hummingbird (Stellula calliope) hovers between feedings on the spring bounty of the Absaroka Range, about 15 air miles from the North East Entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS + 1.4 TC III in manual mode at ISO400, f/6.3, and 1/320th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head with custom long lens support.

Two bull Bison begin to cross the flooded Lamar River as the sun rises above the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 5DII with 70-200/2.8L IS II in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of - 2/3 (+-1) at ISO200, f/11, and HDRM adjustments for a three shot image. The camera was mounted on an Induro CT214 and Acratech GP ball head.

A trio of North American River Otters engage in some playful fighting along the shores of Trout Lake in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 7D with 500/4.0L IS in manual mode at ISO800, f/4.5, and 1/400th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS and Induro GHB2 gimbal head.

A grove of quaking aspen shimmer in the miday light on a warm fall afternoon along the Beartooth Pass. Captured with a Canon 5DII and 17-40L in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of + 1 1/3 at ISO200, f/16, and 1/100th of a second. The camera was handheld.

A herd of captive quarter horse feed beneath a rainbow as storm clouds move across the Teton range at the edge of Grand Teton National Park. Captured with a Canon 5DII 17-40/4.0L in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of - 1/3 at ISO200, f/11, and 1/640th of a second. The camera was handheld.

Canada geese, clouds and turning aspen all unite along the shores of OxBow Bend with Mount Moran reflecting as the sun rises on Grand Teton National Park. Captured with a Canon 5DII 70-200/2.8L IS II in manual mode at ISO100, f/11, and 1/160th of a second. The camera was mounted on a Gitzo 3540XLS tripod with Arca-Swiss Z1sp ball head, a cable release was used in LiveView (mirror lockup) mode.

Photographer Dave M. Shumway opens the door to his tent during a cold December night in Yellowstone National Park. Captured with a Canon 5DII and 17-40/4.0L in aperture priority mode with an exposure bias of - 1/3 at ISO1600, f/5.6, and 13 seconds.The camera was mounted on an Induro A413 and Induro BHD2 bullhead and a cable release was used.
Dave M. Shumway
--
http://DaveShumway.com
--

Return to “Other National Parks”