Waterton - Pros and Cons

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wnysteve
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Waterton - Pros and Cons

Post by wnysteve »

sj in cal wrote:I'm not one to pile on, but the border agents at Goat Haunt were also very rude.
sj,
Not that it affects the rude experience you had, but I was curious whether those people were Border Patrol (olive green uniforms) or I.C.E. (dark blue or black uniforms)? In my experience, the Border Patrol has seemed more comfortable in dealing with people and have better skills at doing it, while Immigrations and Customs guys tended to be tense and overbearing. Maybe that's just the luck of the draw of my experiences..wonder if others have noted this?
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

wnysteve wrote:
sj in cal wrote:I'm not one to pile on, but the border agents at Goat Haunt were also very rude.
sj,
Not that it affects the rude experience you had, but I was curious whether those people were Border Patrol (olive green uniforms) or I.C.E. (dark blue or black uniforms)? In my experience, the Border Patrol has seemed more comfortable in dealing with people and have better skills at doing it, while Immigrations and Customs guys tended to be tense and overbearing. Maybe that's just the luck of the draw of my experiences..wonder if others have noted this?
Good point Steve.
The guy who was snippy with us and his partner wore dark blue uniforms(ICE), not the Border Patrol "greens".

pocketlint :wink:
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

They had the olive green uniforms, but to clarify only one of the two were rude.
MYK

Post by MYK »

We flew from Ft Lauderdale to Calgary, drove to Glacier for four days and then crossed back into Canada (Chief . . .) to go to Waterton.

Had absolutely no problems in either direction. Agents were friendly in both directions.

We bought supplies at a Walmart Supercenter right near Calgary airport and my daughter bought something not permitted across the border. The US agent just told her not to sell it and let us through.

No problems at all.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

We've crossed the border and back from the U.S. to Canada every year since 2006. Mostly at the Maine / New Brunswick border. I've also traveled in and out of the U.S. to Europe and Asia a number of times since 9/11.

My experience has been that if you know what you can / can't bring in, if you answer the questions with patience and no attitude, then it's smooth. If they choose you for additional questions or search, don't take it personally and be patient. They have a job to do -- let them do it.

But yes, typically they're much friendlier going into Canada than coming back into the U.S. But for that to influence our travel plans? Not even a consideration for me.

Return to “Waterton Park..”