Questions about Hiking in Waterton

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

wilkerjohn
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Questions about Hiking in Waterton

Post by wilkerjohn »

First, I would like to say this forum has been very informative and I thank you.

Secondly, my son and I will be hiking in Waterton a couple of days in late July. We are thinking of hiking Crypt Lake one day(I hiked it with my wife last year and loved it so I think I will do it again unless you guys talk me out of it). The other day my son wanted to get info on Carthew-Alderson, Vimy Peak, Waterton Valley including Porcupine Lookout, and maybe Goat Haunt. Thanks in advance for advice on these.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: Questions about Hiking in Waterton

Post by Ear Mountain »

Can't help with the Waterton hikes. I just haven't hiked much in that park. Maybe when I finish Glacier :wink:

There are several options for the Goat Haunt end of Waterton Lake. There are a few:
1. Take the MV International round trip. Grab the first boat in the morning and maybe the last one back in the evening. This gives time for hiking the area.
2. Walk from Waterton o Goat Haunt and take the boat back. The trail hike is interesting and not as level as one might think (or hope). I think it's 10 miles to Goat Haunt from the Waterton Townsite. You could take the boat first but I'd rather ride on the way back.

Once at Goat Haunt you could hike up to the Waterton Lake Overlook. Not many go up there but the view is spectacular. 2 miles round trip.

Hike to Kootenai Lakes for some fishing.

Porcupine Lookout? I haven't been there yet. Check at the Goat Haunt Ranger Station to see if there is a bridge across the Waterton River. If not be prepared to wade. The elevation gain from the valley floor to the lookout is substantial.

Note this info provided by the Park Service regarding entry and exit to the US at Goat Haunt:
The U.S. Goat Haunt Port of Entry is a United States Class B Port of Entry open from 5/31/09 - 9/30/09. Port of Entry hours are 10:30 am to 5:00 pm daily. All travelers crossing the border at Goat Haunt must present documents that are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant. U.S. and Canadian Citizens must present a Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Drivers License or NEXUS Card. U.S. Resident aliens must present a U.S. Resident Alien Card. Citizens from countries other than Canada or the U.S. must present a valid passport and a current I-94 or an I-94W available at the U.S. Class A Port of Entry. Crossing the Canadian border with a firearm is prohibited.
Carry a passport and get it stamped at Goat Haunt. The stamp is a nifty mountain goat.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Carthew-Alderson is a very nice hike and I'd recommend it highly. Some outstanding views along the way. Take the shuttle from the Waterton townsite to the trailhead at Cameron Lake (I think that's the correct lake name), then hike back to Waterton. I'd recommend this over Crypt Lake (which I haven't done) simply because it's something new for you.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

Carthew alderson is a pretty classic traverse... you don't have to do the 'through-hike' from Cameron lake to waterton village if there are timing issues getting a shuttle. You can hike up to the high point and turn around (commonly referred to as carthew summit, although the high point of the trail is not the summit of Mt. Carthew).If you decide that you are not getting a shuttle and are returning to your car, you can extend your day from the high point of the trail by doing an off trail hike up to the peak of Mt. Carthew (takes another hour or two), or if you have more time, you can hike to the top of Mt. Alderson... they are both (relatively) easy walk up summits, just need the stamina and the wherwithal... doing the full traverse is cool, though, as you get to walk right by the lakes, however the last couple of hours are in the trees and kind of boring.

I would put Vimy peak on the 'Do-not-do!' list for the casual (as opposed to frequent) visitor as there is a long flat, forested (no views) approach via the wishbone trail (tons of bears in the area) followed by the long, forested (again minimal views) vimy peak trail that is a shared horse trail, so lots of horse poop and flies in late July. An alternative is to take a canoe accross the lower lake but there is the risk of wind picking up late in the day which can make for a wild ending to a long day's hike if you swamp your canoe (as some in our group did). Views at the top are pretty cool but there are other cool hikes to do in waterton, I would alternatively recommend lineham ridge/peak via the Rowe lakes trail.
wilkerjohn

Post by wilkerjohn »

Thanks Hockey Ref, Ear Mountain, and Trevbo for the responses. They will definitely help with our planning. Sounds like carthew alderson is the way to go. I am excited to check that out.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

re: Porcupine Lookout
I've verified that the trail is maintained and there is NO bridge over the Waterton River.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Waterton Park..”