campgrounds AND hikes

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

amy

campgrounds AND hikes

Post by amy »

Interested in best place to 'car' camp and favorite hikes in the area. Hiked Alderson -Carthew several years ago and eager to explore more of this area. WIll be there next week and will be day hiking only, but able to go 15- 20 miles if it's worth it!
Any recommendations on restaurants and inexpensive lodging also welcome! Thanks -
amy
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: campgrounds AND hikes

Post by toddnick »

If you are a long distance day hiker (as I am)....I will tell you first the obvious ones then some less obvious....

The Classics:

Grinnell Glacier...11 miles, 1,700 feet of gain/loss (Many Glacier area)
Iceberg Lake....9.5 miles, 1,100 feet of gain loss (Many Glacier area)
Cracker Lake...13 miles, 1,400 feet of gain/loss (Many Glacier area)
Highline to Swiftcurrent...15 miles, 1,700 feet gained and a lot more lost (Logan Pass/Many Glacier area)
Pitamakan/Dawson Loop...18 miles, 3,000 feet of gain/loss (Two Medicine area)
Siyeh Loop...10.5 miles, 2,300 feet gained, 3,400 feet lost (Trailhead at Siyeh Bend on GTTS Road)
Siyeh Bend to Many Glacier via Piegan Pass...14 miles, 1,800 feet gained and about 3,000 feet lost (You can shuttle from MG to Siyeh Bend)

Some Other Fun:

Swiftcurrent to Chief Mountain Customs via Ptarmigan Tunnel...21 miles, 3,500 feet gained and lost (shuttle back to Swiftcurrent at 3:45PM)
Lee Ridge/Belly River Loop...17 miles, 3,000 feet gained/lost
Gunsight Trailhead to Lake McDonald...19.5 miles, 3,500 feet gained and 6,000 feet lost (can use shuttle to return to car)
Triple Divide Pass....15 miles, 2,400 feet gained/lost (Cut Bank area trailhead)
Two Medicine Pass/Chief Lodgepole Peak....15.6 miles, 2,500 feet gained/lost (Two Medicine area, hike above Cobalt Lake on an established trail)

Lesser Hikes on the West Side:

Huckleberry Lookout...12 miles, 2,500 feet gained/lost
Numa Lookout...12 miles, 2,400 feet gained/lost

I LOVE MG Campground and generally spend 2/3's of my 2-3 week stays there....

Rising Sun and Two Medicine have very nice campgrounds as well....
amy

Post by amy »

Thanks for your response!
particularly interested in your 'some other fun' hikes - any you would recommend over another?
lee ridge/belly river loop and CM customs to Swiftcurrent well defined trails?
any suggestions for the Waterton part of the park?
amy
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Yes, they are all on well defined trails....

Swiftcurrent to Chief Mountain is awesome.....

I'd rate it slightly (but only slightly) higher than Lee Ridge/Belly River Loop.....

Return to “Waterton Park..”