Backcountry Camping in Waterton

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Backcountry Camping in Waterton

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Who has camped at one of the Waterton backcountry campgrounds? Any that are / are not recommended?
trevbo

Re: Backcountry Camping in Waterton

Post by trevbo »

I've camped at the Goat lake and at snowshoe campgrounds as part of the Avion ridge loop (which you can do as a day hike, alternatively).

Goat lake is in a nice bowl and you often can spot a mountain goat or two on the cliffs above the lake. There are a couple of peaks you can hike up from this campsite (Avion ridge, Newman peak) following the hiker trail up the headwall at the end of the valley.

Snowshoe campground on the other hand, i'd not recommend as a destination unto itself. You can actually bike the trail as far as snowshoe campground, which might be interesting for some... but the site is in a forested valley with minimal views and the trail to that point is not very interesting. The Twin lakes campsite is pretty awesome and just a bit further afield (maybe an hour's hike away). It's a great site just below Kishinena peak, which is an easy scramble from the campground.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Looks like Goat Lake and Twin Lakes would make for a good 2 night loop. Great info, thanks.

I also found this recommendation for Lone Lake to Twin Lake as the best 2 nighter option, with Goat Lake as an optional 3rd night:

http://www.besthike.com/northamerica/ca ... arack.html
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

The Twin lakes loop is a spectacular hike and I am sure the campsites would be wonderful. We did it as a dayhike, back when 18 miles was nothing.
trevbo

Post by trevbo »

The Tamarack trail sounds like a great backpack. When are you planning on doing this? The reason I ask... the tamaracks (larches) must be awesome along this trail in mid to late September, so that'd be my vote for the best time of year.

Note that the through-hike starts from the Cameron Lake road (Rowe Lakes trailhead) and ends at Redrock Canyon road, so it's not actually a loop. You'd likely be able to hitch a ride back from Red rock canyon. Alternatively, you could pre-park a 2nd vehicle (or pre-park a bicycle for the driver to fetch your vehicle at the Rowe Lakes trailhead). It's a fun ride downhill all the way down Redrock road, but a bit of work to then get back up Cameron lake road to the other vehicle. Just an idea!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

The Twin lakes trail in late September is about as good as it gets. The larch and the Aspen are in full color and no one is there!

Return to “Waterton Park..”