Akamina Parkway Closed

If you have questions, comment or experiences in Waterton Park in Canada, please post them in this section, although Glacier is the Focus, Waterton is the sister that has much to offer.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Akamina Parkway Closed

Post by joybird »

I was planning to do Carthew-Alderson as a thru-hike this year, but just learned that the Akamina Parkway has been closed due to flood damage. :( The park official I spoke to said they don't know when it will be re-opened and that it may stay closed all season.

Anyway, I thought this info might be helpful to any Chatters planning a trip up into Waterton Park...

If someone hears that the situation has changed, please let us know!
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Re: Akamina Parkway Closed

Post by TnTammy »

Joybird, we were considering some time in Waterton next month also. I wasn't aware of the rain damage to the park. Seems Waterton received roughly 8" of rain on June 19th. It was surprising to see the rather extensive damage to the Akamina Parkway on the ParcsCanada website.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/watert ... Flood.aspx

Doesn't look good for getting to Cameron Lake this summer. Thanks for giving us a 'headsup'.
Tam
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

We were there today & the road to Cameron lake is still closed
trevbo
Gender?: Male

Post by trevbo »

Ran into a contractor today at the blockade to the Akamina parkway...he said the road will be closed the rest of the summer but they hope to have it open in time for winter for skiing.
trevbo
Gender?: Male

Post by trevbo »

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/scond/Cond_E.a ... ark=100429 Road to Cameron lake was re-opened at the end of November... Road may be closed from time to time for snow storms, as always (currently closed due to today's blizzard).

Return to “Waterton Park..”