2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by PeteE »

fmcdonald wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am Pete, all of the photos are stunning. I'll be interested in seeing how the voting works. I'm not sure I can pick just one. I would love to have a calendar using all of them.
Thanks for the compliment!
When the actual voting begins, I doubt I will have more than a couple images for consideration. Maybe just one.
Remember that the staff will pick the final images to be voted on from the possible hundreds of entries.
So nobody will have to pick from my 30 8)

As for calendar images...
20 odd of the 30 would be difficult to make into calendar images since they are multi image panos.
Many have aspect ratios of for 2:1 to slightly over 3:1. (The width is 2 to 3 times as wide as the height.)
Some could probably be cropped to an aspect ratio suitable for a calendar, but I kind of hesitate to do that at the moment.
But I won't rule it out, so hang in there. ))

I should tell y'all that one of my biggest mistakes going back years to images I made with my little Sony HX-10 point and shoot camera.
I cropped the subjects way too close with the camera zoom lens.
That left me no room to crop the images to standard sizes like 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc.
The Sony P&S, my a77m2, and a6600 have sensors that are 6x4.
The Mr Lincoln images made with my P&S are a good example of this "mistake". Those are all "full frame" images, exactly, or close to exactly the same size as the cameras sensor...So no room to crop for things like 8x10s or other aspect ratios. :( :(
At the time, my thinking was to zoom as "tight" as I could to maximize the limited pixel count to the subject.
BIG MISTAKE...and one I still sometimes make today when making single frame pics. :evil:
paul wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am They are all good photos but my favorite is the one of snow covered Bearhat Mountain from the overlook area. Great Job!
Thank you Paul!
Yeah, I really like that one myself.
I saw a couple entries that were made the same day, but they look to be single frame images, and not wide panos like mine.
This is a 5 image pano shot using my table top tripod resting on the interpretive sign on the observation platform.
There was a LOT of luck getting this 5 image pano. Shot around 9:30 AM and it was still freezing cold.
The WIND was blowing 15-20mph, maybe more, and lots of people walking all around making the deck vibrate.
It took a couple tries before I got a good pano. :)
I really wanted to use the settings below to get a good sharp, low noise image...and I got one.
There won't be many this good because a few hours later most of the snow had melted when the sun hit the scene.
I have a 34 inch print that looks really good!! :arrow:
The aspect ratio on this image is 3:1 (2.95:1)
It covers a LOT of ground both from left to right and enough vertically with no noticeable distortion I can see(thanks to PTgui)
Way to wide for a calendar shot ..imo :(

Camera Sony ILCA-77M2
Lens Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM (SAL1650)
Focal Length 35.0 mm (52.0 mm in 35mm)
Aperture f/8
Exposure Time 0.008s (1/125)
ISO 100
Date Taken 2020-09-28 09:29:16

"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I guess I have confused some of you...and looking at my emails from a number of people, some are not keeping up with posts. 8)

The Glacier Conservancy Staff will select the finalists

The PUBLIC meaning you guys, will then vote on the FINALIST entries selected by the Conservancy Staff.

My best GUESS at this time is that no matter how many entries one submits, the Conservancy Staff will PROBABLY choose just ONE entry from whatever number the finalists submitted. Many people submitted multiple entries.

SO...If I make it as a finalist, your job should be easy.

I will try to get clarification from the Conservancy on the process asap.
So far I have not seen how the process works other than what I've posted earlier.
Sorry if I have confused y'all.
I will try to do better in the future.

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
crh24

Post by crh24 »

I know this thread hasn't received much traffic in a bit, but I am going to give it a shot. I hope I got this right:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE !!! I think 74? I hope you have an awesome day! :D

Maybe you'll visit Glacier today and see Bonnie & Clyde. Hopefully they've become a bit more comfortable over the past few months, seeing you. Yes, I bet that was a treat to see them this past fall - since it was over a year since you've seen them, I think.

Both sad and happy you're moving to Florida. You are an anchor to this forum, and we all enjoy viewing your photos and sharing information on Glacier, albeit some of us more quiet than others. We will miss your photos and your posts. I enjoyed your photos, as always, that you submitted to the photo contest last year.

Wishing you great and "safe" adventures in Europe this summer. Are you still going to Ukraine - I would think that trip would be a little "dicey" based on what's going on in the world? I would think the Dept of State would advise against it and you might be on your own. I'd be nervous traveling there.

Hoping the gastrointestinal issues are under control. Best case scenario is a modified diet, that can be self controlled. I am hoping you found a solution to the issue via dietary changes.

I am grateful for our "chance" encounter in 2020 where we spent a couple/few nights at Granite Park Chalet at the same time. I made new friends during that stay: Kevin, Tammy, and you.

I don't think I've met a person in my life that has more friends than you. You always take time to talk to everybody, "even the animals", and at the end of a conversation, a new friendship is made.

Wishing you great adventures, health, happiness, and good times with family & friends!

I hope you get out to Glacier today and get to see Bonnie & Clyde.

Hope you respond, since we're wondering how you're doing....

-Craig
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Yes a big happy birthday to you Pete!
I also would like to know what you are doing these days. Hope you are able to get into Glacier today. In any case please do something special today and enjoy the day!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

crh24 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:08 am...Hope you respond, since we're wondering how you're doing....
Pete had a password reset problem on this forum some time back now. It requires an forum Administrator to fix it. Unfortunately no one is serving in that capacity right now so Pete (as far as I know) has been unable to post or log in.

I'll add my birthday wishes and hope Pete thrives in his new home town.
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Photography”