Going to Triple Falls

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

MYK
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Going to Triple Falls

Post by MYK »

I realize there's another thread that sort of covers this but I'm hoping to get clearer instructions starting from the Visitors' Center at Logan's Pass.

I assume it's starts at the Hidden lake Overlook trailhead. Correct?

Then what? Thanks.
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Going to Triple Falls

Post by toddnick »

Start at Logan Pass parking lot...face visitor's center...turn left...proceed out past the new bathroom (left side of Visitor's Center)....for about 3/4's of a mile until you reach the creek...turn right and proceed about 1/4 mile upstream to the Falls...
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Be prepared for some resistance from the park rangers if they see you going that way. They don't like people going back there, especially in the early season when it's still wet. Fragile territory. There are signs clearly discouraging people from walking on the meadow area at Logan. I don't know what the "letter of the law" is though. Maybe they don't care or enforce whatever the rule is later on when things dry out. Maybe someone knows what the "official" position of the park is on walking on the meadow area.

The problem for the park is easy to understand. The falls are sooooo easy(relatively speaking) to get to, that given the volume of people at Logan Pass...

pocketlint :wink:
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Pocketlint wrote:Be prepared for some resistance from the park rangers if they see you going that way. They don't like people going back there, especially in the early season when it's still wet. Fragile territory. There are signs clearly discouraging people from walking on the meadow area at Logan. I don't know what the "letter of the law" is though. Maybe they don't care or enforce whatever the rule is later on when things dry out. Maybe someone knows what the "official" position of the park is on walking on the meadow area.

The problem for the park is easy to understand. The falls are sooooo easy(relatively speaking) to get to, that given the volume of people at Logan Pass...
The nitwit, know not tourists would destroy the area in one season.

pocketlint :wink:
Well, if that many people wanted to get there, perhaps a boardwalk would be the solution. However, I think the vast majority of people don't know those falls exist, and perhaps park officials want to keep it that way.
MYK

Post by MYK »

Thanks. I'm going in early August so things should be dry by then.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

When there are areas around logan Pass that are closed for resource protection reasons, the park will generally post info at the visitor center mapping out the areas that are closed. It would be good form to check that before going out, but by August it likely won't be a problem.
Jen

Post by Jen »

pitamakan wrote: It would be good form to check that before going out, but by August it likely won't be a problem.
Environmental etiquette. 8)
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

August, can be just as wet as any other time of the year, make sure and check before you trek.
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

I talked to a ranger in the Visitor's center before I headed out (in September)...he told me "to keep my head down and not be obvious" as I left...so it seems to be something that that they discourage but don't prevent...
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

And there is always a sign near the start of the trail to Hidden Pass that shows which areas are open and closed. There are three areas but I'm not sure of their exact names. They are:
1. The access to Mount Oberlin,
2. The access route to Mount Reynolds
3. The Hanging Gardens area on the left side of the boardwalk between the Visitors Center and the access to Mount Reynolds.

The sign will clearly indicate which areas are open or closed.
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Ear Mountain wrote:And there is always a sign near the start of the trail to Hidden Pass that shows which areas are open and closed. There are three areas but I'm not sure of their exact names. They are:
1. The access to Mount Oberlin,
2. The access route to Mount Reynolds
3. The Hanging Gardens area on the left side of the boardwalk between the Visitors Center and the access to Mount Reynolds.

The sign will clearly indicate which areas are open or closed.

And here's your example sign

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

October 14th, 2014
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
glowingrock

Post by glowingrock »

Found this old information about "Double Falls" in Glacier NP. Is it still legal and possible to get there?

Re: Double Falls
Jul 3, 2011, 2:47 PM
First of all, keep it quiet that you are going...rangers discourage going off the beaten path at Logan Pass area....if you stand in the Logan Pass parking facing the visitor's center, go left from the visitor's center about 3/4's of a mile (start by going through the pines to the left of the visitor's center to be inconspicuous) to the creek and then go upstream (turn right) once you reach the creek for about 1/4 mile....you should run right into it....the falls are in a cool little box canyon...
I asked a ranger about it in 2009 when I visited it, he told me to try not to be noticed but didn't say that I couldn't go....I have a few pictures of my journey there in my 2009 trip report in the "trip reports" threa paste at the top of the boar (I incorrectly called it split falls in the report)....
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -Steve McQueen

Return to “Photography”