How to Post Photos

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

How to Post Photos

Post by Ear Mountain »

Here's a link to a very old thread that explains how to post photos onto this forum. The technique can be used on most forums. Perhaps Dave could lock this to the top of the Photo section so it is always handy for those who might need the info.

http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/ph ... f=4&t=3360

Here's the gist of it though:
Here's the main gist of how to do it though.

The first thing you need to do is set up the hosting site. Which one you use doesn't make much difference so long as you can link directly to the photos.

I use Flickr. Accounts are free and they give you 1 TB of space to store photos.
http://www.flickr.com

Another site many use is Photobucket
http://photobucket.com

Set up your account. Then upload your photos to the site. That's as easy as selecting the photos from your computer and clicking on an upload button.

Once your photos are on the host site you need to find the link to the photo. Some hosting sites will provide this info next to the photo. Flickr has a share button that provides the link and lets you choose the size of the photo you want displayed. Find the link and copy it.

My preference for the Glacier Park Chat page is pics no wider than 800 pixels. Photos larger than that are often cut off or cropped by the forum and readers with smaller screens, like on an iPad, cell phone or laptop, cannot see the right side of the image if it is too big. You can also crop your photos before uploading to Flickr but that is not necessary.

Once you have copied the link, go to the chat page you are writing and use the Img button above the text input area. Clicking that will insert an image tag into your post that looks like this: (img)(/img). Note that instead of parenthesis you will see brackets.

In between the two sets of brackets paste the link (url) that you copied from your Flickr site. It is usually in the form: http://www.flikr.... The final entry will look something like this:
(Img)http://www.flikr....(/img)

Again note that the entry will have brackets instead of parenthesis. But if I put bracket here the forum will try to insert an image and give an error.

You can also jus type in the image tag without using the Img button.

When I make a post with pics I like to preview it first to make sure my links are correct. There is a Preview button whenever you are typing a post that allows you to see what the post will look like but will also have an area where you can edit it. If all is looks good hit "submit."
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: How to Post Photos

Post by joybird »

Thanks so much for putting this concise yet detailed-enough-to-be-clear explanation up!

I second the request to Dave to lock it at the top of the forum. I think it will help folks who've never posted pics to finally take the plunge. And it will encourage us occasional picture post-ers to share our photos more frequently since we won't have to figure the process out anew each time. (I'm embarrassed to admit how many tries it sometimes takes me to get it right... :oops:)

More GNP Pictures = More Happy Chatters :mrgreen:
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Thanks for the info, I have not used hosting sites previously, will have to learn a new trick.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

One moe thing!

Don't assume that uploading your photos to a site like Flickr or photobucket is a good strategy for long term storage. While these sites are working fine now it doesn't mean they will forever be there. Ask anyone who used the kodak site. When Kodak pulled down their photo hosting site all the photos were gone.

I always suggest that you keep your valuable photos backed up in at least two locations other than your computer. And at least one of those locations should be somewhere other than the building where your home is.

As computer companies move away from CD and DVD drives that option is getting less and less favorable too.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Ear Mountain wrote:One moe thing!

Don't assume that uploading your photos to a site like Flickr or photobucket is a good strategy for long term storage. While these sites are working fine now it doesn't mean they will forever be there. Ask anyone who used the kodak site. When Kodak pulled down their photo hosting site all the photos were gone.

I always suggest that you keep your valuable photos backed up in at least two locations other than your computer. And at least one of those locations should be somewhere other than the building where your home is.

As computer companies move away from CD and DVD drives that option is getting less and less favorable too.
I used to use Kodak Gallery. When they went under they promised to move all images to another site (I forget which one). Only a small percentage were actually moved and those that were looked awful. Don't rely on those services, or any cloud-based service, as they are all subject to tech failures and/or simply going out of business (not to mention government surveillance). For backup, I use a separate, stand-alone hard drive that I disconnect from my computer unless I'm specifically using it. It's not in a separate building, but it's better than keeping stuff on my computer's hard drive. I also have a lot of images on CDs, but I'm worried about them over the long term as technology makes the discs obsolete.

My daughter, on the other hand, has nearly every digital photo she's ever taken on her company-provided laptop or on a cell phone. If she loses either one, those images will be gone forever. Now that she's a mom, getting those pictures somewhere else is imperative.

For those of you like me old enough to still have videos on VHS or 8mm tapes, it's high time to transfer them to another medium. Places like Costco or local camera stores offer this service. Do it now before it's too late.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Hockey Ref,
As I always say, there are two kinds of hard drives. There hare hard drives that have failed and hard drives that will fail.
If the images are valuable to you I would think about having them in at least two locations. One could be your computer and the other your external hard drive. And disconnecting that external hard drive from the computer when it is not in use is a good idea. Sometimes a computer failure will damage the file structure on connected drives.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Ear Mountain wrote:Hockey Ref,
As I always say, there are two kinds of hard drives. There hare hard drives that have failed and hard drives that will fail.
If the images are valuable to you I would think about having them in at least two locations. One could be your computer and the other your external hard drive. And disconnecting that external hard drive from the computer when it is not in use is a good idea. Sometimes a computer failure will damage the file structure on connected drives.
Yeah, I keep most photos on disc as well as on the separate hard drive. The separate hard drive remains disconnected from my main computer unless I'm actually using it for the very reasons you note, and also to avoid damaging power surges during thunderstorms and other events. The house of one of my Glacier friends was struck by lightning several weeks ago and his computers got fried, among other things.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
ND

Post by ND »

I was saving my images on discs, but have decided to start saving them on flash drives. Inexpensive, plenty of memory, and take up virtually no space.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

My desktop crashed last Winter and I lost all, I had a back up hard drive but it was unrecoverable. Fortunately most of the photos were originally on discs from Costco or SD cards so I was able to recover much. Most all of my photos are now on my Mac laptop and Google seems to copying most of them. I plan to copy to thumb drives in the future. I also have about 3000 slides from the 70s-90s, before digital. I still have my Dad's slides from the 50s, the kodachrome is still good, the ektachrome pretty bad.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Anyone know what is going on at Photobucket?
I can't post individual pictures.
And it looks like other members there are have having the same problem.
I just want to let DaveParker know that if the problem at Photobucket isn't solved by Monday, I'm cancelling my account there.
That will mean every photo of mine on the chat will disappear.

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
ND

Post by ND »

Pete,

I have always used flickr. No problems there and it's free. I would wait for a while and see if Photobucket gets corrected and use flickr for now. It would be shame if all your pics disappeared from here. Sometimes these photo sites have a hiccup every now and again.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Yes, Pete-- I second ND's suggestion. We would miss your photos and videos! Invaluable.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I'll do flicker but you gave to umderstand that unless there is a way to move all my photobucket pics "en mass", they will be lost. I have a paid subscription to photobucket because of my large number of pictures.
So if they fix it fine. If not, them ill unsubscribe...and lose it all. Nit paying for a site that doesnt work.
Ill start a flicker site when i get home.
The day/night has gone bad at work.
Thanks forvthe advice and support.
ND, i lost my new 77mm polarizer sometime during or after Cracker Lake. ₩£%×_€#$&&# !!!!#!#!!
pete

Sent from a smartphone that HATE!!
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Pete as I said in my private message, we have nothing to do with photobucket, have you emailed them to see if they can figure out what is going on. I wish I could help, but I have nothing to do with that system and there is nothing I can change to make it work for you.

Dave
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

Just testing to see if I can post a single photobucket pic. I have the free account but it is 89% full so I will have to create another free account either on photobucket or somewhere else for future pics.

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess

Return to “Photography”