Video--Goats Just Being Goats :)

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Video--Goats Just Being Goats :)

Post by PeteE »

I made this video as I returned from my failed attempt to get up on Heavy Runner.

I first saw these three goats while chatting with some folks up on the north end of the saddle between Mt. Reynolds and the ridge to Hidden Lake pass.
They marched steadily down the trail towards the saddle. I took off without thinking much about them.
Just three more goats--seen a million of them right?

Then as I was taking a breather I looked back to see who might be coming behind me.
And lo and behold here are the same three goats. Two nannies, one with a baby.
It was clear to me that they were going to march right on by me.
So I decided to move off trail a bit and video them as they passed by.

However, they decided to hang around that spot munching on everything in sight for about 20 minutes.
I just let the camera run for most of that time. It was fun just watching and listening to them just being goats. :mrgreen:

I thought they might just munch for a few minutes and move on, but Momma had other ideas.
At about 4:20 in the video, Momma decides to come back into the tiny meadow area where I had been standing quietly video'ing them.
You will see her "look" at me with an expression I read as:

"I'm coming back. Get out of my way."

And I did exactly that; I moved out of her way.

The video runs about 17 minutes.
Yes it's long but you rarely get a chance to see goats at Logan Pass when they are undisturbed by the teeming hoards of visitors.

I suppose this comes under the rubric...
"Do as I say do, not as I do".
So be it. 8)

The goats at Logan Pass are wild animals and being in close proximity to nannies with kids is not without risk.
Do not approach the goats out here, and if the goats come to you as these did to me...
You must "give way" to them. Do not block their path.
Remain still. DO NOT make any sudden moves. And if you speak, speak "quietly".

I just cringe when I see visitors, especially those with small children, literally RUN after nannies with babies.
"Oh look at the goats!! Lets go get a picture".

I once saw parents let a 3-4 year old run into the trees after a baby goat.
I just knew the nannie was going to go after the child. Nothing happened--that time.
You parents need to keep your children quiet and in line around the goats and all the animals here in GNP.
End of lecture :mrgreen:

I hope you enjoy the video.
Best watched in 1080HD on a bigger monitor...imo 8)
Make sure you have the volume turned high enough so you can hear the goats snuffling and munching the grass.
The baby goat makes soft little "squeaks/chirps" too.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
netresult
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Video--Goats Just Being Goats :)

Post by netresult »

I really enjoyed this video Pete! I hate to see these animals collared, the park service doesn't know enough about goats WTH!! Pretty cool to see them so relaxed doing their thing. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Photography”